Engine wont crank - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2019, 07:31 AM
Redneck Professional

Wiki Edits: 0

Here's the wiring diagram (should be exactly the same as this). My best advice.... if you don't understand how to test based on this schematic, then get someone who does to help you to learn in person.

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_d...rterSystem.jpg

Probably you will find something like a burnt fusible link or a bad/misadjusted clutch switch. If it was me, I would check big term on back of alternator for power (check fusible link). If OK, check for power at input to clutch switch with key turned to start position (check ignition switch) - and then again on exit of the clutch switch with the clutch depressed (check clutch switch). Not much else to check if you've already verified nothing at the starter.

Advertisement

Last edited by 2001Blazer4x4; 07-16-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001Blazer4x4 View Post
Here's the wiring diagram (should be exactly the same as this). My best advice.... if you don't understand how to test based on this schematic, then get someone who does to help you to learn in person.

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_d...rterSystem.jpg

Probably you will find something like a burnt fusible link or a bad/misadjusted clutch switch. If it was me, I would check big term on back of alternator for power (check fusible link). If OK, check for power at input to clutch switch with key turned to start position (check ignition switch) - and then again on exit of the clutch switch with the clutch depressed (check clutch switch). Not much else to check if you've already verified nothing at the starter.
Yeah I have the same diagram in my Chilton book. It's a good book to have for this kind of stuff but I am still trying to figure it out. The thing I'm not seeing is the clutch switch. I have never seen it or dont know where it is. I'm assuming it would be under the dash somewhere around the length of the clutch pedal. Only switch i see is the one on the brake pedal. Unfortunately I didnt get to mess with it today so I'll keep you all posted once I figure something out. Thanks
Old 07-16-2019, 06:05 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,134 Times in 2,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevroletSS View Post
Yeah I have the same diagram in my Chilton book. It's a good book to have for this kind of stuff but I am still trying to figure it out. The thing I'm not seeing is the clutch switch. I have never seen it or dont know where it is. I'm assuming it would be under the dash somewhere around the length of the clutch pedal. Only switch i see is the one on the brake pedal. Unfortunately I didnt get to mess with it today so I'll keep you all posted once I figure something out. Thanks
If the car was originally equipped with shifter activated back-drive linkage, it would have a neutral safety/back-up light switch in the standard GM location on the column under the dash.....and may not have had a clutch pedal switch.

Regardless, you need to be tracing the starter solenoid wire back to the ignition switch, to determine if and where it has power. Might be a switch problem, might be a break in the wire, might be a blown fusible link. It's just one wire, should take all of 15 minutes to fully check out between ignition switch and starter.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:40 PM

Ok so it was the clutch start switch. There is alot of wires bunched up zip tied together under the dash in front of the switch so I couldn't see it. It's kind of a PIA to get up under there anyway. The rod on the switch was disconnected. Not sure if I did that but when I put it back in the hole on the clutch pedal I cant figure out how it stays in the hole. It doesnt go through, out the backside of the hole. I would think you would slide it through and put a cotter pin through it but there is no hole for a pin and it doesnt go all the way through.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChevroletSS For This Useful Post:
Foperfoauto (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:58 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,134 Times in 2,629 Posts
I believe it should have a barrel clip, similar to what is used to put the nameplate or engine size emblems on muscle era cars without needing to get to the backside to put nuts on the emblem pins.. Barrel clip just pushes onto the pin, then pin and clip are pushed into the hole.

I could be wrong though, been a while since I dealt with that type of switch.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:51 PM

Glad you got it going again

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in