Essential hammer dolly tools? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2017, 05:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Essential hammer dolly tools?

Hi,

I'm getting ready to start the final bodywork phase of my 1968 Camaro. The fenders and doors are rough. There are many dents to work out with some of them on or around ridges or curves. And there will be a few patch panels welded in.

I already have this hammer:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GUWTWK..._t2_B001GUZI0K

I also already have the Harbor Freight body hammer/dolly kit... the dolly's are in good shape but the faces of the hammers are all chewed up.

I was thinking that I could get this set to round things out:
7 Piece Pro Hammer & Dolly Set - Fiberglass Handles - Eastwood

What do you think the essential tools I'd need are?

Thanks,
Sal

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2017, 07:26 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,453 Times in 3,208 Posts
You may not have decided whether or not you'll be replacing door skins, but in addition to what you linked you might also look at door skin sets. They usually include a light slapping spoon and a nice dolly, and the hammer is also handy for other stuff.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Grand Prix User

Oh and DO be careful with pointy hammers. Avoid those and only take out a hammer when a spoon won't do. Here is a link to body work pics from a 68 Camaro mess I tackled at work, if you can stand to look-

1968 Camaro by 66chevroldsmobuiac | Photobucket

Old 11-06-2017, 08:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
You can never have enough hammers. Or dollies. I do have three that I use almost every day and cant do without. The short, straight pic hammer, The chiesl and a rounded, square head for wheel wells and such. So why do I have over 50 ? because I love collecting unusual body hammers and dollies. I also like collecting sanding blocks. You'll get a long way with these three hammers but now days a stud welder is a must have when you can get one for 100.00 at HF I spent 400. 30 years ago for mine.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
You can never have enough hammers. Or dollies. I do have three that I use almost every day and cant do without. The short, straight pic hammer, The chiesl and a rounded, square head for wheel wells and such. So why do I have over 50 ? because I love collecting unusual body hammers and dollies. I also like collecting sanding blocks. You'll get a long way with these three hammers but now days a stud welder is a must have when you can get one for 100.00 at HF I spent 400. 30 years ago for mine.
I have the HF stud gun and can not recommend getting that one. It just isn't good enough to get the work done unfortunately. I suggest going with the popular brands.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:02 AM

My friend bought a HF stud gun and all I could think was it looked and felt cheap but it did weld the studs on and got the job done. I wasn't impressed or anything but for 100.00 if it gets the one job done its paid for itself. Same with the hammers, they look and feel cheap because they are. but they will get the job done. or they'll screw it up just as fast as a 75.00 hammer will. a lot of the problems with stud welders come from dirty contact areas on the welder itself nobody ever cleans them.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
My friend bought a HF stud gun and all I could think was it looked and felt cheap but it did weld the studs on and got the job done. I wasn't impressed or anything but for 100.00 if it gets the one job done its paid for itself. Same with the hammers, they look and feel cheap because they are. but they will get the job done. or they'll screw it up just as fast as a 75.00 hammer will. a lot of the problems with stud welders come from dirty contact areas on the welder itself nobody ever cleans them.
Yeah I just never wanted to investigate to see if it could be improved. It's gigantic and heavy and the slide hammer with it sucks. Mine came with assorted studs up to 3mm. On its best day it might stick a 2mm. I was fortunate to gain access to a shop Spitznagel not long after I got it so its a bottom drawer anchor for the toolbox now. I would not be a bit surprised if the one they sell now is different. It would just suck if you found a Hotshot for $250 somewhere, to have just dropped a bill on one that could be iffy. Perhaps you gotta know which box to randomly grab from the stack to get a good one.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,945 Times in 4,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Yeah I just never wanted to investigate to see if it could be improved. It's gigantic and heavy and the slide hammer with it sucks. Mine came with assorted studs up to 3mm. On its best day it might stick a 2mm. I was fortunate to gain access to a shop Spitznagel not long after I got it so its a bottom drawer anchor for the toolbox now. I would not be a bit surprised if the one they sell now is different. It would just suck if you found a Hotshot for $250 somewhere, to have just dropped a bill on one that could be iffy. Perhaps you gotta know which box to randomly grab from the stack to get a good one.
We have a Pro-Spot mig welder with a slide hammer attached to it for pulling like a stud welder, it's just built into the tool. Then we have a Pro-Spot STRW that has one. Then we have two old Eagle brand ones that aren't even used anymore, covered with dust, they work damn good really.

I have a name brand stud welder at home, forget the brand. They are most certainly a damn interesting and useful tool. I am with DBM the problem could very well simply be not making a good contact. They really are kinda picky on that, things need to be perfect. And reusing studs is a joke, I gave up long ago after not making a good connection to pull the stud and throw it away and put a new one. Trying twice is a waste of time.

Brian
Old 11-27-2017, 02:14 PM

We had one of these at the last shop I worked for. https://www.dentfix.com/shop-1/The-Maxi-220v-p65881328

It was the best dent puller I'd ever used.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:46 AM

I'd love to have one of those at my shop.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:30 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

HF stud guns are lame. I got a bumble bee and use it all the time. We also have fancy car o liner spot welders, lento dent pullers, miller migs, aluminum station, etc etc. Love the lenco cause it's small and portable and my stall is far from the equipment room. Far as the hammers go, that's an amazing price. I like the heads to be kind of thin cause you have better control of them but really, I can do essentially the same work with a fricken ball peen if I had to. I'd get that set, what a deal!!! Don't worry about finding a door skin hammer with your set cause you can get one at harbor freight for next to nothing. If there's something you don't like about it, you can always soften the edges and re polish the head. Not a big deal at all.

Get the hammer set and go get a set of durablocks. They are good blocks. They are stiff enough to do good body work, flexible enough to do that too, but also the subtle softness keeps the sand paper less cloggy. Go get the 24" yellow 3m block for laser straight finishing. Best block I've ever used. Don't need anything longer than that. Go get you a cheap primer gun with a big 1.8 tip cause you can spray multiple primers out of it. Go get you a bondo board, latex gloves, buffer, and a mask at Harbor Freight. get a stud gun but stay away from the HF one. H&S makes good ones and even the cheaper one is good. I'd get a DA sander. Airvantage are the best in my opinion. the cheap HF ones or any cheap air tools require a lot of air. My air vantage is a finishing sander with 3/32" orbit so it works good sanding clear coat and more gentle on fillers than more aggressive orbits. I definitely don't strip paint with it though. I will use a 3/8" orbit DA with a handle for that, or use a mud hog, or buffer on panels other than the hood or decklid and sometimes roofs. There's so much more but those are some must haves.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in