Fender repair - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2019, 06:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fender repair

This is a rear fender off a 52 Chevy 3100 truck that I volunteered to fix for a good friend but Iíve ran into something I just canít figure out. This was a large dent/hole that was filled was bondo but over the yrs it rooted out. Iíve done metal work before but this one Iím not so sure about. I removed and fixed a place right under this but it didnít have the offset. The fender is in very good sharp all but this end and this is the end the running board attaches. The other fender had issues where the board attached but I fixed it with no issues. Something I didnít mention is Iíve looked for patch panels but havenít found any for the rear fenders. Iím going to call a couple suppliers and see what they have.
All advise will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1055CC08-B271-42F9-A7A5-1C5FDC113B8C.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	439757   Click image for larger version

Name:	FE215499-335B-4353-AD29-36542C33E8ED.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	439759   Click image for larger version

Name:	7437432C-E9C0-4EC2-95DE-C8CBE8CFA495.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	439761  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 06:45 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,762 Times in 2,830 Posts
Just a quick reply, short on time... take a flat scrap thats big enough, bend it into a 90 in a vise then unbend it to get the step. Then lay it over the closed vise jaws to put the outside curve in it. Something like that.

Some of the more advanced metal shapers here may be able to provide a more clear response so hang around.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
NOVA1958 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 07:15 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

if you got shrinker/ stretcher you can fab that patch correctly, or you can find a shape with that same form and wrap some sheet metal around it. What you basically need is that body line with that general shape and radius above that body line. Those are two shapes that will fight any simple shaping. The reason you need a shrinker or hammer form is because that shape has contradictory angles. Metal will never go into that shape unless it's clamped down onto a similar shape and forced into that shape. Looking at how much bondo is on that fender and quality of repairs, I'm guessing there's a lot more going on with that car but you'd hate to tell someone that when they love their car. In a pinch, I have used the metal on a car plenty of times to generically hammer form something into shape, and if you can find any curve left on that corner you can try that right next to your square opening. Just re work the area if it becomes damaged. 19 or 20 G might be great for that. 18G would probably be too thick, but that would be an easy way to do it if you can find some curve right next to it.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the help. I do have a shrinker - stretcher Iíll try that. Iíve been hammering on a piece but like you said the 2 angles are fighting each other. I was just messing around yesterday and didnít think about using the stretcher.
This is my cuzs fender and he didnít want to buy another and I told him Iíd give it a try, sure couldnít hurt anything. The fender had been hit on that end and was a lot of bondo and rot under it. I was hoping somebody made a patch panel but Iíve havent been able to find one for the back.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in