Fender Stars - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2017, 04:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fender Stars

I am just finishing bodywork on a pair of 1926 Model T Ford front fenders. Fendered hot rod. They had been on the car for about 15K miles. Both sides have starred spots from the tires flinging rocks. I have spent a lot of time getting these things straight. (There was a deer hit on the left side!) Now I am wondering if anybody has used rhino lining on the underside of the fenders to help protect from flying rocks. Would this be advisable, or would I be creating moisture traps promoting rust? Anybody tried it? any thoughts? Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017, 07:19 PM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

I think that would work fine, it should seal like paint moisture wise, and would buffer the rock hits.

Good one ....... !

Greg
Old 09-28-2017, 07:34 AM

I have a 39 sedan. I used a rubberized undercoating on all of my fenders and bottom of the running boards. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:54 AM

I used a anti-fatigue mat sold at Wally-Mart. Comes in a roll about 4' x5'. Cost is about $20 and there was enough to do my '32 fenders. The stuff is about 1/4" thick, bends in any direction, compresses too. Made paper patterns; cut the material and then glued it on with contact cement. My friend did it to his Model A and drives it a lot more than I do, and the rocks just bounce right off. We both had the same problem.....stars. Can't think of the name, but it is sold in the automotive section. Did all this about 3 years ago and it is still as good as the day we put it on. The only drawback is that it is grey in color, but a spray of black can fix that right up. However, spraying a coating is easier, but it's not as thick.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 Sedan View Post
I have a 39 sedan. I used a rubberized undercoating on all of my fenders and bottom of the running boards. Good luck.
Is this something DIY from the auto parts store? What is the product? How thick does it apply? Is it working? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Tall T View Post
I used a anti-fatigue mat sold at Wally-Mart. Comes in a roll about 4' x5'. Cost is about $20 and there was enough to do my '32 fenders. The stuff is about 1/4" thick, bends in any direction, compresses too. Made paper patterns; cut the material and then glued it on with contact cement. My friend did it to his Model A and drives it a lot more than I do, and the rocks just bounce right off. We both had the same problem.....stars. Can't think of the name, but it is sold in the automotive section. Did all this about 3 years ago and it is still as good as the day we put it on. The only drawback is that it is grey in color, but a spray of black can fix that right up. However, spraying a coating is easier, but it's not as thick.
It would seem that the soft anti-fatigue mat would absorb the impacts better than the harder rhino lining. I'm just kind of worried about possible adhesive failure in spots and start trapping moisture. This 26 T coupe really is my daily driver, rain, snow, or sunshine. The black fenders can get really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter. Is there an adhesive that would be totally effective in this application? What brand contact cement did you use?
Thanks.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:58 PM

Can't answer your question as to whether it will hold up in all kinds of weather, but it does hold up in rain and normal driving. Used ordinal gel contact cement (brand name).
Old 09-29-2017, 06:37 AM

The stuff i used is made by NAPA, 3M also makes it but 3 times the price. I used it on the rear wells of my daily driver pickeup as well it lasted about 3 years. It will go on as thick as you want to keep spraying it in coats. if you get too heavy on first coat it will run. It is just a rubberized undercoating about 10 bucks a can if i recall. Use in well ventilated area it does stink and tape off anything you do no want over spray on. It really does not set up hard. In some areas across the rear of the car i used some sound deadening matting that i had left over then sprayed over it with the under coating. Not sure how well the sound deadening matt would work on fenders though. I have it on the interior door panels, etc.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:45 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw22w View Post
Now I am wondering if anybody has used rhino lining on the underside of the fenders to help protect from flying rocks.
exactly what i did to my 58 truk and for that same reason
bottom of cab, inner fenders and 4 fenders had a coat of rhino liner sprayed on them
30k miles and i have seen no delamination of the coating or rust issues
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	console 013.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	380033  
Old 09-30-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
exactly what i did to my 58 truk and for that same reason
Great! That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks.
Now my question is-- in which order should I apply the coatings? SPI epoxy primer, then rhino, then the enamel topcoat? or SPI primer, then topcoat all over, then rhino. In other words should there be enamel topcoat under the rhino?
Thanks, guys.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:07 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

i asked the guy at my rhino liner store what he preferred
he had me bring the parts from the sandblaster straight to him, he wanted to use his primer
that said; bed liner is sprayed over scuffed clearcoat without a problem
i left it black as you can't see any of the rhino liner, they can also color rhino liner
i wouldn't enamel over the liner
Old 11-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Permatex Heavy Duty Rubbberized undercoating at any Auto parts store. I have this on both of my Fat Fendered Fords. It stays somewhat soft and absorbs the stones. I have never had a star on either vehicle. I've had my 46 for over 14 years and no problem.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:27 PM

I had Armaguard bedliner applied to the underside of my 37 Pontiac fenders in 1996. No stars at all, and its been down more gravel roads than you would think. No peeling or moisture problems either.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:32 PM

Thanks guys. I just checked into having my front fenders done. $100. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in