Hot Rod Forum banner

Few questions on a 350 sbc build up...

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
I have a '73 sbc 350 w/flat tops not sure if it's been bored, I've bought a melling mtc-1 to go in it and I'm going to slap a 300-36 Holley Street Dominator intake that has been polished but not ported on top of it, I only have a 600cfm vs Holley right now with stock E.manifolds. First of all is that cam going to be to much lift for my pistons?? Second will I need to rejet that carb for more fuel?? And third,what kind of numbers should I be pushin after if it all plays out fine???
I will later be putting long tube full lengths on her with a 770cfm street avenger, it's in an '81 gmc long bed. Thank you for any replies.

#2 ·
350 is great for a performance engine build. The power is made from the package. Use parts that are made to work together and are proven.

Melling is the performer cam 420/442 lift , correct. I would use the performer intake. Not the RPm intake unless you have a lot of gear 4.10+ . Stay away from most single plane manifolds on the street.

NA hydraulic cammed, 9 ish to 1 engines I have built are good for .75-.85 power per inch. A sbc making 300hp is a fast engine with a good amount of power.

Lift should clear the pistons. Do not really worry about that till over .450 lift.

Not sure about rejeting , but a 600 holley at baseline should be pretty close. Better than a 770 in a heavy longbed.

#3 ·
Yes that is the cam I have, and that street dominator is the dual plane z28 style, I knew gears were a givin if I want it to have any jump at a stand still, so that will be a part of this build, it has the stock rear end which I can't find any gearsets for, i was thinking an early 90's reared should be a lot better seems how I can hop it up a bit easier, any suggestions???. What about a throttle spacer should I put it on or leave it off??, one of my wrenchin buddies says some offer brutal low end add, and I was told also they where for tuning not all that?? All I know is you can slap together a bunch of ****** ****,but if ain't tuned right it ain't gonna be worth a ****, I've built a lot of power jus gettin it all dialed in and tuned perfect

#4 ·
estimate

My estimate might be fairly accurate for your application.The engine I took out of my 1981 vette was 030 over 350 with a holley street dominator manifold,modified 650 holley DP with 850 baseplate,420 lift 198/208 @ 050 cam,small tube headers.The engine was built by professional builder Jack Muzzomo. Chasis dyno tuned on a dyno jet it put down 205 HP at 4500 rpm and torque peaked just under 280.
with 2.73 gears the car was not spectacular. I now use 3.50 gears and a stroker engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.