Finally gonna start some body work - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Finally gonna start some body work

Hi guys,

Man it's been awhile since I've been here on the bulletin board. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and looking forward to the next couple of holidays.

Well my main reason for this post is I'll be finally starting the body work on my 69' Javelin in the coming months.

The current paint that's on the car was sprayed by my dad over 15-20yrs ago and I'm kind of afraid to put anything over it due to the cracking and chipping. There is no local shops in Hawaii that i know of that can strip a car down to the bare metal, so my only option at this point is to bust out the trusty da sander and go to town. Now I've been told that its better to bondo directly on to fresh metal rather than lay down epoxy primer to seal off the metal. Is this true and if so why? It doesn't really make sense. Also, can you block sand epoxy primer, or does it have to be a primer filler rather than a primer sealer? Or would I have to apply the epoxy sealer, then do the bondo work, followed by a couple of coats of epoxy filler then block and reapply a couple m,ore coats of epoxy filler then final block?

Lastly, trying to figure out which brand to use. I figure if I'm gonna do this myself, a.k.a. big time noob on body work. I'm decent at welding and somewhat fabricating, nothing to hard and mechanical. I'd use the good stuff, either Ppg's Deltron, Dupont's Chroma-base, or Glasurit's 55-line, and there specific primers. I love the fact that the DuPont line is simple, i.e. 2 to 1 ratios, not like Glasurits 4:1:1, thats just for the primer, hardener, and catalyst, sheesh.

I'll be using my 2 new guns, a DeVILBISS FLG-643 finish line for the primers, and GTI-IAMG for the top-coats and clear.

Any suggestions, tips, hints or help I'd really appreciate gang!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 06:43 AM

Last journal entry: More painting pics
Wiki Edits: 0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in