First motor that im buiding need a few pointers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2020, 11:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

First motor that im buiding need a few pointers

Ok i have a set of 292heads just got out of machine shop bigger valves studed bolts valve guids you name also have a 350sb with a eagle cam that measured 4.3 was curious on what would be sone great parts to go with this stuff i have also have a set of 411 gears for rear end just curious as to what size main bearings carb piston size pretty much e everything this os my first motor puting to gether i mesn ive put set of heads on my truck did valve job myself timing chain exc ahoot me some ideas guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_201633790889781_1581053500610.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	451649   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_213615599670086_1581053527288.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	451651  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin nelson View Post
OK i have a set of 292 heads just got out of machine shop bigger valves studed bolts valve guides you name also have a 350 sbc with a eagle cam that measured 4.3 was curious on what would be some great parts to go with this stuff I have also have a set of 411 gears for rear end just curious as to what size main bearings carb piston size pretty much everything. This is my first motor I've put together I mean I've put a set of heads on my truck did valve job myself timing chain exc shoot me some ideas guys
Do you mean Engle Cam ? What grind number ? and what is this build going in ?
Old 02-07-2020, 01:35 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

We also need paper and pencil for the budget and intended purposes.
Without a plan on paper, you have no idea where it's going to go....

Old 02-07-2020, 02:02 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,926 Times in 2,181 Posts
What I have to teach you will take several hours of typing, over several days or weeks. The problem is that most of the time, newbies like yourself will be posting the same questions on other automotive forums and you're likely to prefer their answers to ours. You'll settle in on one of them and we'll never hear from you again. You'll become one of the "one post wonders" who is forever lost to us. In the meantime, we will all be posting to your problem with information that you will never read. Personally, I'll wait for you to post more on this forum before I commit to spending my time on you. I don't want you to think that you are not worth my time, you certainly are, but I want you to be here to read what I spend hours typing. I have done this same thing for many of the members here on Hotrodders.com and will continue to teach as long as the good Lord keeps putting breath into my body. In the meantime, go to Amazon and spend $9.97 plus $3.99 shipping for a copy of this book by one of the best automotive journalist of our time, Mr. David Vizard...…..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...1105525&sr=1-2

There should be no shame in purchasing used books, they still read the same as a new book. I buy used all the time to save a few shekels.
My name is Richard and I look forward to talking with you.

P.S. Buy from Goodwill Colorado Springs, their reputation is better.....

Last edited by techinspector1; 02-07-2020 at 02:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
eric32 (02-17-2020), RWENUTS (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 04:04 PM

Get this book below as it comes with a dvd also and shows you how to build a small block chevy as well and the book is in color pictures and is really good for a beginner and i have that as part of my library an the dvd has a lot of different sections and shows you all the basics of building and gives you enough information to know what your looking at and its not hard once you understand things but you have to watch it over and over a few times and take down notes and then research stuff if you don't understand what there talking about and take time to learn as much as you can.

Also another book I recommend is the one by David Vizard which has some good information on building performance motors and it does not tell you how to build one from scratch but he educates you on building different types of performance builds to fit different ways of what someone is looking for from cruisers to all out racing.
https://www.amazon.com/Small-Block-C...s=books&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Vizards-Max-P...s=books&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Rebuilding-Sm...s=books&sr=1-4
Old 02-08-2020, 12:20 AM

I wouldnt build an engine to match your 4.11 gears
get the car started first then build an engine that matches you plan for the vehicle
Old 02-16-2020, 07:00 PM

Engine advice

So, where to begin. First I would spend a few dollars and educate yourself on grammar and sentence structure when asking for advice. I hate to be the spelling Nazi, but have you read your post? You might want to use a period somewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadWally For This Useful Post:
454 Rattler (02-17-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 10:37 PM

Don't give up on asking questions because some folks on here are picky about how you ask things and stuff but if you put more information and with more detail your likely to get more help and some kinder responses as trust me I have been there before and many have left cause of nasty responses to simple questions. So many great ones and many have left here because so many expect perfection and certain things in order to get responses and its sad.

I am more humble here and give more information and more folks hopefully will help you out. I am still green when it comes to a lot of things but I have learned a lot by reading books like I listed above and its worth money and time to educate yourself on how engines work and are built and how important it is to match parts right from the engine to transmission to the rear gears and the cam size along with proper cylinder head size and also if running a automatic transmission with the proper stall converter and its not just a throw something together kind of a deal. I once took stuff and just threw things together and boy did a I loose and waist a lot of money.

I wish back in the day I had the internet at my finger tips like I do now and the books available like I have. I got a library full of books on engine building and transmission building and rear end building and also carburetor rebuilding to help make it good for me to know what I am getting into as far as building something and you want to do it right the first time and after ten plus years of learning a lot I am still making mistakes and paying the price for it. I am doing once again a new build if things let me this summer cause of changes in my life that have to be done.

Don't let anyone scare you off here please post some more questions and as always I don't forget from where I came from as one time I did not even know how to adjust the idle on a carburetor let alone anything else but I have learned way more then I could have ever imagined thanks to many good folks on here but you have to give information to get more help. But don't give up on posting and please give time and others will help out.
The Following User Says Thank You to eric32 For This Useful Post:
RWENUTS (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:18 AM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,926 Times in 2,181 Posts
You were the exception Eric. You answered all questions and stayed involved, unlike some newbies who ask a question and then disappear. That's what I was talking about. I've seen fellows come on this site new and ask one question and then disappear and the answers to his question go on for pages. He's long gone and all that info and time are lost on him. I'm older now and I guess things like that get to me more easily than they did when I was younger. Thank you Eric, for hanging in there and turning into a well-educated hot rodder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
eric32 (02-17-2020), TimoFinn (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 09:01 AM

I did not think of that of somebody just posting one time and then being gone for good as I guess all these years I have not paid attention to it and mostly just paid attention to answering questions and trying to help out but these younger generation guys I do agree sometimes its like trying to help them but they don't want to listen to what will work and then they go about and do it wrong anyway so I can see where many are coming from and I guess I did not think of that and my apologies as I meant nothing of disrespect to anyone.

I assumed it would be somebody that would stick around but maybe I did not see that. I feel for you longer guys that are my Dad's age in the later 50's and up as your guys knowledge is like great wisdom that many are not wanting to learn and cherish it and bring it along with them in life and learn to build on that knowledge that is something you can't put a price tag on and that is why I always have appreciated your guys help over all these years and keep coming back but many have disappeared and I can understand why now as newer very young ones don't like to hear certain things on what really needs to get it done the right way so it will be right for them and make it a good running project. Trust me when I was once young and started out I made a lot of bad choices and wasted a lot of money in the process with a poor running engine that sound good but ran like crap. It sounded like a race horse but it ran like a horse that was on its last leg.

I was able to take the heat and then learn from it but had no problems of hearing that I was wrong and took it as a learning process and I have even gotten heat from my Dad when I was young and started out but many nowadays don't like to hear the right way as for some reason they don't like to hear it and pretend it does not exist.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in