first paint job - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2018, 09:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

first paint job

painting a s10 pickup.using acme urethane primer,sherwin williams black enamel ,wanda silver and wanda clear.how much dry time do i need between coats? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,305 Posts
Acme? Really? They have brought that name back! Wow I can't believe it! I sprayed HUNDREDS of gallons of Acme back in the day, wow.

Anyway, what you MUST do is simply get the tech sheets on the product you are spraying and follow them! They will spell out to you "flash" time between coats, I don't want to throw a number out there because it may be different now. Besides, there will be things like temperature and "speed" of the reducer and stuff like that to think about.

Brian
Old 08-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Pay attention to re-coat windows on the tech sheets. Some enamels require 24-72 hrs before recoat with something else and possibly scuff sanded again. If I'm doing a single stage with a clear coat I usually pick a paint system that recommends it so it can be done wet on wet with only flash times and it's usually urethane on urethane of the same brand so there's no reaction issues. You didn't say which products specifically or what the plan is as far as 2 tone. If the silver is Wanda base it's a polyester product, an acrylic enamel, and a urethane clear is a whole lot of mixing and matching different products with different properties together and hoping there isn't going to be any issues. If the Wanda base is anything like other Akzo Nobel bases when put on top of uncured paint it will turn it into wrinkle finish.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in