Fixing a "buckle" in a TR6 front fender - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2017, 03:00 AM

Last journal entry: More information
Wiki Edits: 0

Fixing a "buckle" in a TR6 front fender

Hi guys,

My 1972 Triumph TR6 was involved in a minor accident before i purchased it - i noticed that the driver's side fender has a slight buckle at the front of the fender, by the headlight bucket.

there are also other dings around the headlight opening. My question is, has anyone out there renovated one of these fenders? anyone have any tips or tricks in how they would approach this? It's a tight fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8072.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	380633  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,945 Times in 4,410 Posts
It looks like there isn't a whole lot of access there so removing the fender may be the best way to go. A dolly behind that area and striking it with a flat hammer on this side would flatten out the buckle and the tip would raise a bit.

Brian
Old 10-07-2017, 06:30 PM

Oh, I've worked on my share of Triumph's, MG's, and a few other British makes. Brian is correct, the best way is to remove the fender to do any straightening or metal work on it. Test fit for bolt hole alignment as you go along. TR6 was always one of my favorites and the GT6 was a close second.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:12 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

very hard to tell but it looks like some bulge around the area the support bolts to the fender jamb. Again, very hard to tell from the pic but first glance and guess is maybe that fender needs to stay on and you get a porto power and gently lift the nose of that fender, and/ or rotate it back up. Again, your senses are gonna have to determine if it actually needs to go up by examining it's relationship to hood height. If that's indeed going on, You get that right first, then take it off, fix the bulges around the mounting area and hammer and dollar all damage.

Looks like the grill will have to come out and valiance perhaps to get a porto power in there. In any case, the edge certainly looks like it has to be ROLLED out, regardless of method. 2x4 with a 8 lb sledge in the jamb might do it, with upwards pressure applied to the tip of the fender.

Buckles are not DIRECT damage, a buckle is INDIRECT damage. Therefore, addressing the metal at the cause of the buckle is the correct way to fix buckles. Best way to do that is on the car to undo the damage exactly how it occurred but in reverse order.

Last edited by tech69; 10-08-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:06 PM

Henry, the way this thing is built there is little to zero access to that area without removing the fender. It's real common damage and it just pushed the nose down a bit, flattening out that buckle will bring the tip up to where it belongs.

Brian
Old 10-09-2017, 06:48 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,453 Times in 3,208 Posts
I passed over this when it was posted because the picture isn't good enough and I don't know if the part is steel. That and its a not American sports car so meh.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 PM
put up or shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Henry, the way this thing is built there is little to zero access to that area without removing the fender. It's real common damage and it just pushed the nose down a bit, flattening out that buckle will bring the tip up to where it belongs.

Brian
I'm picturing a porto just on the nose of the fender, without bumper, valiance, grill. Doesn't seem like something that's going to pop up by just hitting in the jamb unless you apply pressure up and force it back up. Look at it again, it appears rolled towards the jamb. I'm saying, apply pressure up and with a 2x4 smack that jamb and it will go back. What you're saying is to just address the jamb. If that's gonna change something it would be most likely the gap to the hood, not height. I thinking it's in towards the hood but below it. It needs to roll out. Look at the pic closely. I could be wrong but if that's what I'm seeing, I'm certain of it...or as much as you can be without being there.

In any case, just so Martin is right, take off the fender, and lay it so the nose on the ground, step on it with your foot to help raise it as you bend down to hammer the jamb. There, you're right as you always are. hehehe
Old 10-10-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I'm picturing a porto just on the nose of the fender, without bumper, valiance, grill. Doesn't seem like something that's going to pop up by just hitting in the jamb unless you apply pressure up and force it back up. Look at it again, it appears rolled towards the jamb. I'm saying, apply pressure up and with a 2x4 smack that jamb and it will go back. What you're saying is to just address the jamb. If that's gonna change something it would be most likely the gap to the hood, not height. I thinking it's in towards the hood but below it. It needs to roll out. Look at the pic closely. I could be wrong but if that's what I'm seeing, I'm certain of it...or as much as you can be without being there.

In any case, just so Martin is right, take off the fender, and lay it so the nose on the ground, step on it with your foot to help raise it as you bend down to hammer the jamb. There, you're right as you always are. hehehe
Henry, I said put the dolly behind the buckle and flatten it. Geeez

Brian
Old 10-11-2017, 09:23 PM
put up or shut up

you're the only one here that can miss something in a pic, claim one thing, and then have it pointed out to you AND STILL be in denial. It's ok, Martin. We all miss things in pics. it's not like we're there and I can be totally be wrong too but it sure appears to be twisted and rolled down and in. No biggie. It's like giving an estimate off of pics. We all miss something here and there. Could be you or me at any given time. No biggie. No one's perfect. I know I'm not.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:37 PM

I don't know what it is about this whole living with other humans that you have a hard time with. I made a suggestion, I support it with facts as to why. I am not giving you advice on how to do it, you know how to do it. It may be different than how I would but you would get it done. I am tossing information out there to a poster whom for I have no idea of his skill level. He is asking the question so I have to assume he is the one who needs the advice.

I am sorry I spoke to you, you are not the one whom I want the info to go to, it's the poster so sorry I wasted your time.

I toss out ideas with some explanation behind it so hopefully it is understood by those who need it. I know a little about that car and there is no access there, you have to pull the fender off to do much of anything. The explanation I gave I believe would work. Yours may as well, but it also requires tools someone at home may not have.

Please just allow ideas to be tossed out there and leave it at that. You toss ideas, and others toss ideas, it's not an attack on your suggestions unless you want to read it that way.

Brian
Old 10-11-2017, 09:52 PM
put up or shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I don't know what it is about this whole living with other humans that you have a hard time with. I made a suggestion, I support it with facts as to why. I am not giving you advice on how to do it, you know how to do it. It may be different than how I would but you would get it done. I am tossing information out there to a poster whom for I have no idea of his skill level. He is asking the question so I have to assume he is the one who needs the advice.

I am sorry I spoke to you, you are not the one whom I want the info to go to, it's the poster so sorry I wasted your time.

I toss out ideas with some explanation behind it so hopefully it is understood by those who need it. I know a little about that car and there is no access there, you have to pull the fender off to do much of anything. The explanation I gave I believe would work. Yours may as well, but it also requires tools someone at home may not have.

Please just allow ideas to be tossed out there and leave it at that. You toss ideas, and others toss ideas, it's not an attack on your suggestions unless you want to read it that way.

Brian
I'd suggest to try your way first and if that doesn't work try mine. That would mean try the simpler way first. It could very well unroll by just hitting the jamb cause it's not rolled that much, and if it doesn't than try my way. You're right Martin, sorry dude.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
In most cases tec would be right, the true damage is in the inner structure but this looks so slight I think the damage is skin only and never reached the inner structure. A better pic would be a big help.

Tags
bent, bodywork, bondo, fender, repair

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in