fixing Chevy odometer '66 Nova - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2019, 06:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

fixing Chevy odometer '66 Nova

My speedo works, but not my odometer. Is there a way to repair this? Anyone ever do this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 PM

Anyone?????
Old 08-29-2019, 04:56 AM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

Someone may have tried to set the odometer back or otherwise modify it, and broken something in the process. However, I don't believe its a DIY job because you won't be able to get the right internal parts.

Just do an online search and you will find several places that repair speedometers, or maybe also have a replacement. There are also several hard copy catalogs that have parts for classic Chevy vehicles, but I don't recall getting one for the '66 Nova.

Bruce

Old 08-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: GTO Reproduction Hood

Its pretty likely that any speedo of that era will have a used part that can be installed as a replacement.

Be it a gear, or what have you there is bound to be some interchange in them

They are not that complicated.
Also as Bruce stated, and I agree with him, it could be a case of having been taken apart and just not re assembled correctly ,or someone broke a piece.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:03 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,713 Times in 4,312 Posts
You can send it to these guys Palo Alto Speedometer: Repair, Restoration, and Sales of Automobile Gauges

I have never used them but plan on it and spoke with them about the one in my Skylark and they seemed very professional.

Brian
Old 08-30-2019, 09:36 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,266 Posts
Those speedos are simple. Pull it out and look to make sure the clip that holds the Odometer in place is doing its job and that all of the locators are lined up and are sitting over the metal edge and locked in place. When you take it out of the cluster you'll see what I mean. Make sure all the drive gears are engaging. If you can't visually see whats wrong then a internal gear in the odometer may be bad. If you sen it out make sure they replace the Brass bushing at the back. All of this will make sense when you have it out.

Boy back in the day I used to spin a lot of speedos back for the Used Car Dept!. I even spun a very low mileage repo Mustang forward so it would stay on the lot longer for advertising!! Boy, the auto business used to be interesting!!

BB
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 10:01 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,713 Times in 4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Those speedos are simple. Pull it out and look to make sure the clip that holds the Odometer in place is doing its job and that all of the locators are lined up and are sitting over the metal edge and locked in place. When you take it out of the cluster you'll see what I mean. Make sure all the drive gears are engaging. If you can't visually see whats wrong then a internal gear in the odometer may be bad. If you sen it out make sure they replace the Brass bushing at the back. All of this will make sense when you have it out.

Boy back in the day I used to spin a lot of speedos back for the Used Car Dept!. I even spun a very low mileage repo Mustang forward so it would stay on the lot longer for advertising!! Boy, the auto business used to be interesting!!

BB
Yep, times were a bit different. Now with digital and even computer like screen I have to assume someone can just go into the computer and change it with a tap of a button?

Brian
Old 08-31-2019, 01:27 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
agreed. pull it out and look at it. i've replaced my speedo in 58 truk twice, both times i reset the mileage to it new born on date, when i did the total rebuild of 58 truk. mechanical speedo is very basic

american speedo cables rotate at 1000 revolutions per mile or 1000 rpm at 60 mph. a magnet and air gap make the speedo needle move. worm gear reduction mechanically turns the odometer. you can 2 worm gear speed reductions in my 58 odo drive

just don't buy a new one, repops are crapola
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0628141604.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	447283  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in