flat tops in vortec / LT4 cam + shim gaskets - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2015, 10:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

flat tops in vortec / LT4 cam + shim gaskets

im considering putting in flat tops into my build -

block is stock vortec, LT4 hotcam 0.492 lift (1.5), shim steel head gasket.

I want to put these in:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-17350-00

Im hoping not to have to machining the valve reliefs - has anyone used these with success?

Also - im not sure what heavy duty single chain will fit into my block - its stock and hasnt been align bored.. will this work?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-94200/overview/

or is there a cloyes recommendation? alot of the sets say: wil not fit factory roller .....

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 11:36 AM

I run a set of speed pro flat top hyper pistons that are pretty much identical to those ones and run a set of dart shp aluminum heads with dual spring setup and run a lunati voodoo hydraulic roller cam with515/530 lift and still have the correct range of clearance and I can't remember the numbers right off my head. Even though you always need to check regardless as tolerances can vary from block to block as well as cylinder heads and it can make a lot of difference.

As far as timing chain goes I am using a summit double roller for a small chevy oem 87 and up style as it has the same bolt pattern as an LT1/4 would. I don't know if there is any differences on what timing chain one has to use if your running the optispark distributor setup as I have not messed with those but have just read about them. Below is the timing chain I am running on my small block chevy with oem style lifter setup.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g6600-b/overview/
The Following User Says Thank You to eric32 For This Useful Post:
Fstarocka (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

. Since your block came stock with a roller lifters/cam, you want one of these timing chains/sprockets sets:

SUM-6503, SUM-G6601-B, SUM-G6601BA ('A' adds adjustable large sprocket), CLO-9-3545X9, CLO-9-1145, CLO-9-3145, CLO-9-3145A, CCA-2136

. The lower priced sets usually have a block roller chain and iron large sprocket, higher priced have Tru-roller chain (rollers actually rotate) and steel large sprocket... (I think all have steel small sprocket)

. (Sometimes it's easier to just find this stuff in a Summit catalogue than online)

. Many blocks need a slight clearancing behind the wide double roller chains at the top...

. Those Summit hypereutectic pistons are a great bargain if they actually have the 1.560" compression height specified... some others didn't... more like 1.548"... please let us know if they do...

Last edited by BuzzLOL; 06-25-2015 at 01:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BuzzLOL For This Useful Post:
Fstarocka (06-25-2015)

Old 06-25-2015, 04:04 PM

Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstarocka View Post
im considering putting in flat tops into my build -

block is stock vortec, LT4 hotcam 0.492 lift (1.5), shim steel head gasket.

I want to put these in:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-17350-00

Im hoping not to have to machining the valve reliefs - has anyone used these with success?

Also - im not sure what heavy duty single chain will fit into my block - its stock and hasnt been align bored.. will this work?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-94200/overview/

or is there a cloyes recommendation? alot of the sets say: wil not fit factory roller .....

thanks
Pistons are fine for a moderate street to claimer race build.

The timing set you.ve linked does not work with the OEM roller cam.

I like the SA Gear SA314S double row roller set for the SBC roller blocks. It's cheap and works for a long time S.A. Gear, Double Roller 250 Timing Set, Chev 305-350 - Competition Products
You need to dress the top of the main oil galley boss where it protudes into the timing case for clearance.

The LT4 Hot cam comes with a pin for driving the front mounted distributor of those engines it has to be removed for Gen I roller engines.

The metal eared bolt retainer does not fit the smaller bolt circle of the roller cam, so don't buy one, use a thread locker instead.

Sometimes these double row roller chains don't clear the timing cover on the Gen I roller block, if that happens use and extra timing cover gasket.

Bogie
Old 06-25-2015, 06:27 PM

thanks guys - kinda wondering if ill do pistons this time round - but good to know i shd be ok with flat tops - motor still ran real nice with stockers - just gets a bit pricey having to press fit at shop etc..

how much free play is too much on the slack side of the timing chain? i have about 1/4" there - quite sloppy, having said that motor ran real well and idled pretty good - should i change it?

thanks for the input - really valuable to a newb
Old 06-25-2015, 06:36 PM
Wrench Turner

The "Hot cam" wants & needs 10:1 to perform well.It can be soft on the bottom end.Doesn't absolutely need higher than stock stall, but, work a lot better with it.With a .040 quench & those pistons,your SCR will be approx 10.2:1. DCR using the KB calculator comes in at approx 8.7:1 if you use KB's suggested 15* added to the @ .050 IVC. However, with the Hot cams long lazy lobes,15* is probably not enuff.It probably be closer to 20 to 25 degrees, which would drop that DCR some.That is, if the @ .050 ivc is actually 38.IIRC, that is pretty close.
The Following User Says Thank You to jokerZ71 For This Useful Post:
Fstarocka (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerZ71 View Post
The "Hot cam" wants & needs 10:1 to perform well.It can be soft on the bottom end.Doesn't absolutely need higher than stock stall, but, work a lot better with it.With a .040 quench & those pistons,your SCR will be approx 10.2:1. DCR using the KB calculator comes in at approx 8.7:1 if you use KB's suggested 15* added to the @ .050 IVC. However, with the Hot cams long lazy lobes,15* is probably not enuff.It probably be closer to 20 to 25 degrees, which would drop that DCR some.That is, if the @ .050 ivc is actually 38.IIRC, that is pretty close.
ah thanks for that - are you saying i should look at another cam possibly?yeah i have a 3000 tci stall TC that im putting in, stock was nice but i think the stall might solve some of the low end sloppiness? I did find flooring it at part throttle gave more of a kick than stand still, but man i could be up to 80 mph in a twitch, fully loaded.. real nice - maybe my airgap would be a better intake, with a 1" spacer and some more advance would win a splash of low end -

im hoping going to a 2" high air filter would help with hood clearance -
Old 06-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Wrench Turner

The Hot cam is fine.Makes good power & easy on the valvetrain. It needs some stall & gear tho to perform well.With a well tuned L31 with flat tops, you can knock on the door of 400 HP with a good carb & headers with a good exhaust system.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in