Hot Rod Forum banner

frame change

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  John long 
#1 ·
hey hotrodders, i have a 50 merc two door, it needs floor pans rockers and trunk floor, my question is i have a 96 caprice cop car ltl, would that frame and floor be made to fit under the merc?

#4 ·
I put a '49 Merc on a 69 Skylark frame using the frame. buick floor pans and firewall. Worked really well. If you start with a 4 door frame you will need to stretch it 4 inches. One thing is for sure. You end up with one sweet driving and riding Merc.

I don't know about the Impala but suspect it is pretty wide to use.

#5 ·
Lots of builders here are using 198o /1986 ??, impala ,caprice frames & floor pans the ones with small bolt pattern wheels , they fit very well.ride exellent if you want it lowered replacement drop spindles are cheap .dont know what years will fit but they are the square body style chevys the mercs, 1 is a 49 several are 51s ,hope this might help. also i guy has a 50 linclon on a 79 linclon frame with 460 he used floor pan engine trans,rear and interior ,it looks sane as a Mercury ,dont know if its the same or not.

#6 ·
frame swaps

Most frame swaps are a lot more work than you think when you start. That Said, a Friend put his 49 Merc on an older Monte Carlo Frame. He said it was easy, wheel base and track width the same. you get disc brakes, power steering, A/C parts, But He chopped his own top, lowered the front bumper, made new sheet metal ftont pan, frenched it, etc. But he used to Work for Ed Roth, and is a good fabricator.

#7 ·
Most frame swaps are a lot more work than you think when you start. That Said, a Friend put his 49 Merc on an older Monte Carlo Frame. He said it was easy, wheel base and track width the same. you get disc brakes, power steering, A/C parts, But He chopped his own top, lowered the front bumper, made new sheet metal ftont pan, frenched it, etc. But he used to Work for Ed Roth, and is a good fabricator.
The early MonteCarlo is the same frame as the Skylark I used but the firewall is a bit further back. It the intention is to use the firewall and floorpans do some measuring to make sure it is not too far back. Also, I asume the MonteCarlo is a 2 door frame. If it is, it will have to be lengthened 4 inches more than a 4 door frame..

John L

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.