Frame mount vs tank mount FI pump - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2016, 11:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Frame mount vs tank mount FI pump

Readying my fuel system for my '48 Ford Coupe, 5.0 FI. I'm debating on whether to modify the fuel tank for an in-tank pump or to use a frame mount set up. Guys are saying the frame mount would be noisy I think with a good rubber mount and flex lines (such as water pumps in an RV) it would be ok. Any input?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2016, 11:42 AM

airtex pumps i found noisy but bosch pumps were not,both externaly rubber mounted
Old 11-06-2016, 11:50 AM

Nice, thanks. A 'Vette fuel filter (internal return line) has been suggested, thoughts?

Old 11-06-2016, 01:14 PM

cant comment about that filter because i aint familiar with it. just want to caution you about the location of the fuel pickup in your tank.i have summit fuel cell in trunk with pickup at lower rear going down to pump under tank, if i drop the ankors with less than 1/4 tank the pump goes dry,,,very embaressing.tryed baffels ect ect .i may try holley fuel blanket next year
Old 11-06-2016, 01:59 PM

F.I. pump

After doing a half dozen F.I. cars I'll give you MY take. First, is the tank you have original? If it is I highly recommend getting a new tank, one with a hole for a pump. No need to fool with a rusty tank that may spring a leak at any time. A new tank for my '39 was only $185 with free shipping. Next, I use an in-tank pump that is OEM to an 88 Camaro. Why? The pump is cheap $55 and every parts store has one in stock in case you need one while traveling. Last, you mentioned a 'Vette filter/regulator but not sure it will work with your setup. The 'Vette unit puts out 58 pounds which may be uncompatiable with your engine requirements. A F.I. pump does real well at pushing fuel but does not do well with sucking it out of the tank which is why some go with a sump. As mentioned above running the pump dry is the quickest way to ruin it therefor an in-tank unit with tray will keep a small amount of gas on hand and will also cool the pump. An in-tank pump and tray example is on the "TANKS" site. You can build your own and use the Camaro pump.
The Following User Says Thank You to 39 master For This Useful Post:
69612 (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 06:30 PM

With the pump that is being referenced in previous posts also accepts a fuel sock which acts like as a primary filter. If you run a frame mounted pump, then you need both a primary and secondary filter (more money). And because none of the OEM's used a primary filter, other than a sock, then you are left along side the road if issues develop with your aftermarket primary.

You didn't mention whether your motor is 5.0 Ford or GM, but if it's a stock injection system, then the FP regulator is on the fuel system on the motor.

Regarding the frame mount pump and the 'awful' noise that you'll hear individuals talk about - hogwash. Unless you're running a stock exhaust with a resonator and never turn on the A/C or heater up to the mid level, or never listen to the radio, then yes, you might be able to audibly detect that it's running. Repeat - might.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...el+filter,6200 - this is the fuel filter I use. In fact I have two, one for each pump mounted on each frame rail.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:55 PM

Yeah, should mention that it's a Ford 5.0. Since it's going to be a cruiser and the engine will be mildly upgraded. I'm new to fuel injection, always used carbs. I understand, now, why an in tank would be best. Thanks for the input. I'm sure there will be many more questions to come.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:58 AM

Thanked 1,143 Times in 913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy347 View Post
Readying my fuel system for my '48 Ford Coupe, 5.0 FI. I'm debating on whether to modify the fuel tank for an in-tank pump or to use a frame mount set up. Guys are saying the frame mount would be noisy I think with a good rubber mount and flex lines (such as water pumps in an RV) it would be ok. Any input?

Frame mount pumps are noisy no matter how they are mounted (it's just loud with rubber mounting and louder without) and if this is an EFI high pressure pump they are even louder. On the good side is when they fail it's a lot easier to fix than an intank pump.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 08:16 AM

My experience with frame mounted pumps is cost vs noise. If the pump is a cheapo the noise is high but some high dollar pump you can barely hear it run. I did a VW split window bus some years ago with a Toyota MR2 engine. Used a cheap frame pump and the Hula girl on the dash shook 'til the grass fell off her skirt. Any time I do a conversion now, first thing is a new Poly tank and second is an access hole in the trunk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 39 master For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (11-07-2016), snappy347 (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 09:30 AM

Tanks, Inc shows a tank that is 8" deep. Question is, are pump mounting bolt patterns the same for virtually all in tank pumps? And, is it possible to adjust the pickup depth of the pump?
Old 11-07-2016, 09:32 AM

If it's a mild 302 the stock frame mounted pump from a late 80s Ford truck should work. They're quiet, available everywhere if needed on the road. I think it's a e2000 part number from Carter. Look up one for a 88 Ford f150 for reference.

If you run a frame mounted pump or a in tank pump with efi make sure the pickup area of the tank is baffled. If not when the fuel is low and sloshes on a turn the engine will stall. Carbs don't have that problem because the fuel bowl holds enough to keep it running til the gas sloshes back to the pickup.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim C For This Useful Post:
snappy347 (11-07-2016)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in