frame and suspension ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 05:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

frame and suspension ?

hello, this is all new to me, i'm retired , live in oregon and need suggestions and comments on the 49 oldmobile project i'm working on. want to change the old rear coil spring suspension to leaf spring and shock. any one out there that has knowlege on this and would comment on this would be appreciated. thanks skeeterman

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 02:55 AM
Mekanicus Automotive Group

Coil Vs. Leaf

This is an intersting one. First off, leaf springs are a little more bouncy, but offer both spring, and trailing link like stablility. Does your olds have a 4 link, or radius rod type rear suspension? Converting to leaf springs may not be your best option in terms of ride quality. But if you are looking at performance, go for it. I'd say, get your hands on a set of springs from about an early seventies camaro or firebird, as they have a good rate, and good length, and go from there. Set them up flat, with no anti-squat, and with the axle above the spring. I race on leaf springs, roadrace. And with little more than the addition of a Watts link to boot, and I can keep right up there with the quarter-million dollar, professionally built and tuned mustangs with a home-built f-bird.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:00 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

Why chang it ?

The olds suspension design is similar to the present nascar, or the chevy truck trailing arm. a lot of guys change to the olds design. The olds rear ends were the 9 in of their time. strong, good axles, good brakes. ..The old lever socks are to only weak part, change to some new tube shocks. you should already have a rear sway bar and panard bar. I don't know how hard it is to get replacement rubber bushings for your present suspension to do the rebuild. ,

Old 04-16-2011, 04:04 PM

skeeterman's 49 olds project

thanks for the reply's and suggestions for the rear suspension fix. think you might have saved me a lot of time. skeeterman
Old 04-16-2011, 04:09 PM

skeeterman's 49 olds project

thank speedshift, info was great. i'm going to like this bulletin board. skeeterman

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in