Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Front brakes freeze up after 3 miles
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 08:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Front brakes freeze up after 3 miles

n a 1973 Javelin 232 6 cylinder, strait shift transmission, manual steering and brakes, no air. This car has drum brakes on all 4 wheels.

Did a complete brake job, and replaced the dual master cylinder, all 4 wheel cylinders, brake shoes, front two grease seals, and front two flex hoses. Bench bled the master cylinder. All 4 wheels bled out nicely. Pedal is firm. Brake pedal and plunger in the master cylinder come all the way back.

After you drive the car for about 3 miles the front two brake shoes expand out on the drum and will not retract. The front wheels are so hot you can not keep your hand on the wheels. The back are fine. Brought the car back to the garage and the front 2 wheels would not rotate to the front but would rotate to the back.

The plunger on the new master cylinder is coming all the way to the back like it is supposed to. While the wheels were locked up I loosened the bleeder on the wheel cylinders, and brake fluid just dribbled out, indicating that the wheel cylinders were frozen. I took the new wheel cylinders off, disassembled, honed lightly, cleaned and lubricated with brake fluid, reassembled, checked the pistons on the inside of the wheel cylinders for movement, adjusted the brake shoes as close to the hubs as I could without them touching. The back brakes are working fine with no excessive heat on the wheels.

Anyone have an idea of what is causing the problem? Thanks.