Front brakes freeze up after 3 miles - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodMan View Post
I loosened the bolts on the master cylinder at the fire wall and giggled the master cylinder around, next I disconnected the brake line from the master cylinder that feeds the front brakes, a little fluid dribbled out, I then loosened the bleeder valve at the wheel cylinder, a little fluid dribbled out, but after all this the wheels were still stuck.
Sounds like the problem is mechanical, not hydraulic. Very, very strange!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 08:11 AM

You keep playing with the hydraulics, there have been several posts suggesting you to look at the mechanical hardware. Drum size and how the shoes fit the drums.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:41 AM

sticking brakes

I had this problem on a 55 chevy a few years and it turned out to be the return springs were weak. New springs fixed the problem.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:00 AM

Correct, the springs get old and weak, basically the hardware wears out.
drum brakes work on a different principal than disc brakes. The shoes are designed to lock into the drums and then release when you take your foot off of the pedal, they have to pull back into place.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:05 AM

Got to agree that could well be weak springs. That why I said in post #22 have a look with the drums off and see what is happening.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:54 PM

I had this same problem years ago

My '64 Barracuda had drums all around. When I replaced the front shoes, I managed to get the self adjuster mechanisms installed backward. This resulted in the exact problem you are having. Try turning the self adjuster mechanisms around and see if that corrects the problem. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:50 PM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleT_KC View Post
My '64 Barracuda had drums all around. When I replaced the front shoes, I managed to get the self adjuster mechanisms installed backward. This resulted in the exact problem you are having. Try turning the self adjuster mechanisms around and see if that corrects the problem. Good luck.

^Exactly ..Asked the very same question POST13

"Are the brakes self adjusting ? That star wheel adjuster assembly could be in backwards. (front wheels"

Pep
Old 09-12-2019, 03:28 PM

I had this same problem years ago

Sorry, I did not notice your response as I was scanning through. I was trying to help solve the problem. I see I will need to be more observant in the future.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:35 PM

Doublet KC Do not feel bad about it we have all been there mate

HotRodMan Hope when you solve the problem you will let us all know what was causing the brakes to stick on.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: GTO Reproduction Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
Lightly greasing the contact points is good. You might Google and download some diagrams to be sure you have things assembled correctly, the springs should always retract the shoes if they're in the right place...

Russ

THIS . wrong springs ,or weak return springs will allow the Primary shoe to stay engaged. counter rotating the wheel will release them
Old 09-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleT_KC View Post
Sorry, I did not notice your response as I was scanning through. I was trying to help solve the problem. I see I will need to be more observant in the future.

Hey I was just saying great minds think a like, was not criticizing

Pep
Old 09-14-2019, 02:06 PM

sticking brakes still exists but have improved

I noticed the problem got worse when I adjusted the brake shoes further away from the drums. I readjusted all the shoes so there would be light contact when you spin the wheel (shoes closer to the drum) and along with a new master cylinder it is much better now than it was before but the front wheels still get hot, it just takes longer than before. While the car was on jack stands I adjusted all the shoes to come in contact with the drums at the same time. The front wheels still get hot after driving 6 miles while the rear wheels are cool. I checked the self adjusters for movement and correct position with the service manual and they are correct.

My next step is to replace the springs and bring the shoes a little closer to the drums since this showed improvement. It takes about a week to get parts and I need a break. I will let everyone know if this fixes the problem completely.

Thanks for all the questions and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:48 PM

Front brakes still sticking after new return springs installed

To recap everything I have done. I have replaced the master cylinder, wheel cylinders, flex hoses, return springs, related hardware, and shoes.

I have checked for warped hubs, all springs, adjusters, and hardware in correct position, piston on master cylinder comes all the way back, backing plates in good shape with light lubrication, adjusters are new with lubrication. Brake shoes are adjusted to have light contact with wheel spinning. After pumping pedal, loosen bleeder valve on wheel cylinder, fluid just dribbles out, no squirting out under pressure. Brake action works fine with no vibration, pulsing, or pulling. Brakes bled fine with no air in system.

I have been able to narrow the problem down to the front shoe on both front brakes goes forward and sticks in that position and will not return until it sits up over night. Back brakes work fine now.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome. Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:25 PM

if you are pumping the pedal and holding the pedal down, when you open the bleeder on the cylinders the fluid should be shooting out. if not there is a restriction somewhere,. If the flex hoses are new then check the metal lines and junction blocks for the metal lines. You should be able to blow air through all the lines without any restrictions. Are There any proportioning valves or check valves in the system?
Old 09-19-2019, 06:51 PM

checked pressure on brake line with foot off brake pedal

No, I was pumping the pedal several times and letting the pedal come back up, then opening the bleeder valve on the wheel cylinder to see if any pressure was maintained in the line. I also did this while the front brake shoe was locked up and did not get any fluid shooting out with my foot off the pedal. The fluid just dribbled out.

I will try some of your other suggestions to see what happens. Thank you for your response.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in