front end "wobble" - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2015, 06:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwn31 View Post
On dropped axle cars, the shimmy you feel most of the time, but not all, is from the king pin to axle to spindle fit. The king pin lock is a type of wedge against he king pin itself. The king pin has a small portion of the outer diameter machined off for the king pin lock to wedge against. When tightened correctly it pushes the king pin to the outer side of the axle bore boss, thus not allowing the king pin to move around in the axle boss. When it moves around the spindle will move with it, causing the shimmy. My new TCI dropped axle front end has about 4K miles on it (basically new), It developed a shimmy sometime last year, I tried wheel re-balancing, rotating the fronts to the other side, checked all the front suspension mounts, wheel bearings for correct tightness, toe setting, even a steering damper. The damper was just a band aid, changing the speed the shimmy started. Two weeks ago, before leaving for Good Guys show in Pleasanton, I grabbed my half inch ratchet and torqued up the king pin locks and got 1 1/2 turns out of the right side and 1/2 turn out of the left. Low and behold the shimmy went away, I didn't think I would have any wear so early in the axles life but it fixed it. I could jam along at 80+ with no issues. Hope this helps, good luck finding your issue.

Keith
Keith...I have tried all suggestion's in this thread.....I am close to giving up, and being subjected to not being able to drive it down the highway. I will give your method a try, guess I have nothing to loose at this point. How tight are these "wedge bolts" suppose to be? Is there a torq spec for these?
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 10:56 AM

FE Wobble

Once had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that had what they call the "Death Wobble".

After browsing and reading all kinds of suggestions on how to fix the thing there was one contributer who said: "You can spend lots of time and $$$ attempting to discover why the wobble occurs. It's caused by the accumulation and deployment of energy from the collection of FE components. The quickest most effective way to solve the problem is to replace the worn out steering stabilizer for about $15." I followed the suggestion and the problem was fixed.

In your case if one stabilizer didn't work I'd add a second stabilizer so you have one one each side of the FE. My money says your wobble would be fixed and away down the road you can go.

BTW, search on "death wobble" and you can read all kinds of examples and solutions for the Jeep death wobble.

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31ROC View Post
Keith...I have tried all suggestion's in this thread.....I am close to giving up, and being subjected to not being able to drive it down the highway. I will give your method a try, guess I have nothing to loose at this point. How tight are these "wedge bolts" suppose to be? Is there a torq spec for these?
thanks
Anyone out there know how tight these wedge bolts should be?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:17 PM

I had the same problem did most everything you have. I then had all four tires trued and balanced .problem solved.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:00 AM

31ROC, I honestly don't know the torque on the king pin lock bolts. As unprofessional as it sounds, I just used my 1/2" ratchet and laying on my side cranked up on them. IIRC, the king pin lock bolts are around 7/16 diameter. So if I had to use a torque number, it would be around 50 lbft.
Have you taken apart your front end and checked the king pin to axle fit and the king pin to spindle fit for free play? If the retorque of the locks doesn't do it I would look here next. Good luck...

Keith
Old 09-11-2015, 11:37 AM

Tight is Tight

My dad, rest his soul, was a tool and die maker. His comment was always "Tight is Tight".

Keith is correct in applying needed torque based on bolt/nut size, composition, application and hardness not to mention what metal you are bolting into soft hard or in between, thread type, lubrication, are head clinchers used, etc.

Google "general torque specifications" and there is a bunch of info that might help.

All else fails: Tight is Tight.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:35 AM

Thanks guys....gonna "strong arm" those wedge bolts and see if that makes a difference.
Next week, I'll try getting the front wheels road force balanced...(this will make 3 times getting balanced)....
after that.....who knows!!!
Old 09-13-2015, 11:30 AM

have someone drive next to or just behind, whatever and video the front end when the wobble occurs. you can see if the tires are hopping or if they are wobbling side to side. that would help eliminate some of the possibilities. you could also then post that video or pics and some of us could maybe come up with a fix.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:56 PM

how about just a pic of what the front end actually looks like, that may bring back some memories for somebody who had a similar problem on a similar front end.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:55 AM

Any updates?
Old 09-29-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnit View Post
Any updates?
was still waiting to report back...I did tighten the king pin wedge bolts some more....(actually wasted the lockwashers I tightened so much!)
have not had time to get to the road force balancer yet, hopefully this week....tightening those wedge bolts did little to nothing.....
The Following User Says Thank You to 31ROC For This Useful Post:
Rodnit (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 08:24 PM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31ROC View Post
Anyone out there know how tight these wedge bolts should be?
My Grandpa used to say use Pig torque. "Turn it till it squeals"
Old 11-02-2015, 07:26 PM

OK guys.....last straw was tried, had wheels/tires road forced balanced, made NO difference....am at the point now I don't believe its a "rotating front end part" issue.....I have to be missing something.....this time, I DID notice the front end shakes, but along with it, the engine seems to shake with it, (2nd motor, so its not that) only at a certain speed (hiway speed)....if I go faster seems to smooth out, if I slow down also disappears....I don't think its an RPM issue, because I can duplicate the RPMS going thru the gears....and because they are at slower speeds, no shake.
Is there any chance these tiny little shock absorbers aren't holding the front tires/wheels to the ground? (they are the 2nd pair Ive tried), so probably not....
so I'm reaching.............
Old 11-02-2015, 07:32 PM

Sorry to hear that 31ROC, I was hoping you nailed it this time...... Keep digging.... Just a matter of finding what it is, hopefully the garage walls are still in 1 piece.......
Old 11-02-2015, 07:37 PM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,013 Posts
play with the toe in and out...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in