Front Springs - Monza - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2019, 10:27 AM
True Hotrodder

Wiki Edits: 0

Front Springs - Monza

Looking for a different coil spring for the front of a '75 Monza. Stock replacement stuff is not going to get it. I need to remeasure but I think the stock spring pocket is 3.5 inches and I am looking for something that is maybe in the range of 275-300 pounds?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

I think they used to use rear springs from a Corvair back in the days before the V-8 Monza. I have a copy of a booklet "How to build a V-8 Vega" at home somewhere. What are you shoe-horning into your Monza?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2019, 12:46 PM
True Hotrodder

2x3 chassis drag car with original a-arm components utilized. Small block, iron/aluminum. The current coils are cut stockers and I need more energy. Like to put Moroso tricks in it but they will not provide dimension information. Wouldn't mind going with coilovers but don't have the extra coin right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to chasracer For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (10-20-2019)

Old 10-20-2019, 12:56 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

Oh... something else you might look into is a set of early Vega (71-74) lower control arms. The spring pocket is shallower than what you have. I found out the hard way when I crammed a set of V-8 Monza springs in my '74 Vega. That might get you where you want to be without changing springs. I can do a little digging in my stash to see if I have any early arms if you want.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2019, 03:08 PM

Might be off the path here a little, but there's a post I answered a week or so ago. There is a company than custom makes springs, might be a source for you.

Also in '86 I was part of a quality group looking at the change in quality of auto manufacture. This was the beginning days of JIT (just in time) processing, QS/ISO 9000, Ford's "Quality is Job 1" program, robotics, outsourcing and etc...

One of the issues is what was termed "Chevette and Cadillac Quality" one of the issues we specifically talked about was inherent quality standards and machining tolerances of front end parts.

One the team members was the purchasing agent that specialized in overseas procurement. A major topic in line with this was poor quality Japanese steel that was coming in at the time. Yours is a '75 which at that time, I believe was still USA sourced steel, but you might want to look at potential (future tense) going tube steel control arms. The Japaneses steel was failure prone under high stress events, which would be in the realm of launch and landings from any wheel stands or other high energy dynamic events.
The Following User Says Thank You to Foperfoauto For This Useful Post:
chasracer (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 04:22 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,107 Posts
Your best source of springs might be these guys.....I have used them many times.
https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in