Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fuel fill neck safety valve?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 02:41 PM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Wiki Edits: 0

The reason for my question is because today I have what I consider a relatively safe Jaguar flip top gas cap. It is lowered and close to flush with the surrounding body surface.
In addition to that, the filler neck (that the cap is hinged to) have a spring loaded cap close to the top, that will slow down a gas leak very much, in case of a roll over.

But since I turned 50 yeas old a couple of weeks ago, I decided to buy me something completely out of proportion too expensive for my hot rod.
A new gas cap to 265 USD.
This don't have a spring loaded safety valve as the Jaguar cap, and in addition to that, the New cap will stick more up above the body surface.

But I think I have figured out how to do it: I will sacrifice the Jaguar neck by cutting off the part with the spring loaded valve, and fasten this part into the upper part of the rubber hose that I use to connect the filler neck to the tank.

I have also considered the valve that techinspector links to, but isn't this is a valve inteded to avoid fuel spill during hard accelration and such. Not a tip over valve?
And besides that, the Eckler solution vill be more expensive for me, than if I sacrifice the Jaguar fill neck.

But thanks for all your inputs!

The New gas cap that's on its way: