fuel filter before mechanical fuel pump sbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2019, 11:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

fuel filter before mechanical fuel pump sbc

Hello guys I have decided to ditch my electric fuel pump for now (long story) and go back to a mechanical fuel pump and my question below is the filter I am using before my electric pump and I would like to know is it ok to keep using it as a prefilter before my mechanical fuel pump and as usual I still have a filter after the pump that is before my carburetor. Would this hurt anything as of fuel flow or harm my mechanical fuel pump or should I not use it?

I would like to keep it within the line as for more filter to help protect my holley fuel regulator and my mechanical fuel pump. Please let me know guys and my mechanical fuel pump is just a carter muscle car series that I will be hooking up to my billet holley fuel regulator which does have a return line I just installed. Below is the filter I am using.

Thanks guys

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1508/overview/

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 12:46 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,209 Times in 2,691 Posts
Generally not good to put a filter on the suction side of a mechanical pump as it will increase vacuum draw in the line...and with ethanol now in the fuel, vapor locks possibility is even easier than it used to be.

Mechanical pumps are relatively impervious to dirt in the fuel, as long as it goes through the stock pick-up strainer sock you won't have any trouble. If you feel you need a filter prior to the mechanical pump, make sure it is a very course 40+ micron screen deal, just to catch big stuff like rust flakes or scale.

The carb is what has problem with really fine debris buildup inside of it, so put your fine filter after the mechanical pump.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:38 PM

That unit has a large surface area so I don't think there would be much of a flow restriction by using it,the question is have you changed an element in it yet ? If so how dirty was it ? Any car that may have sat for while with ethanol gas in it may have a fair amount of tank crud in it which can also build up in the fuel lines. Check these images out: https://www.google.com/search?q=etha...w=1343&bih=648 Pretty SCARY !

Old 05-08-2019, 02:15 PM

The filter is only a year old and has about 5000 miles on it and it has not been setting for a long time except during the winter months. I had my sending unit out looking inside my fuel tank since I put a return line on and it was as clean as can be but I will just the fuel filter as well and run the line straight to the fuel pump then my pump to my regulator. I don't have a sock in the tank by the way as does that make a difference?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:19 PM

Ok that is a 10 micron filter which would choke my mechanical fuel pump and I already have a 40 micron fuel filter before my carburetor after my regulator. So should this be ok then? I heard about some people running filters before there mechanical pumps keeping junk from getting into them. If there is something I could use that would help or would it just be a waist of money?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:23 PM
More for Less Racer

Put the 40 micron before the pump, and a 10 micron between the pump and the carb. If doing this, I would put the 40 micron right at the pump inlet, rather then at the far end of the line at the tank. Thus limits it's possibility of creating a vacuum in the line.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:38 PM

This is the filter I am running before my carburetor below.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-230135
Old 05-08-2019, 03:16 PM

Would something like this be safe to run before my mechanical pump? Its a 100 micron and it has a stainless steel mesh insert and can be recleaned and stuff and since I don't have any sock in my tank.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:43 PM
More for Less Racer

Yeah, I can't say I'd want to use that particular piece before the pump, I don't care for sintered bronze filter elements….might be 40 micron but nowhere near enough total area for flow.

I'd rather see something with a screen in it.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-230124/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...-551/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...6erl/overview/

if you want to stay 40 micron maybe something like this..i could not find versions for hose barbs though:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-650103/overview/

Price is a little salty for the 100 micron stuff, seems crazy less filtering capability for higher cost?
Old 05-08-2019, 03:44 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32 View Post
Would something like this be safe to run before my mechanical pump? Its a 100 micron and it has a stainless steel mesh insert and can be recleaned and stuff and since I don't have any sock in my tank.

Check your link, that's the same sintered bronze element filter in your previous post.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:27 PM
fat tire

I have one of these before and after the pump along with what is in the carb.

no problems
Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 PM

The one I meant to post is the same as the one you posted but its black. Sorry about that I must have done the wrong tab as I had several open.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...124b/overview/
Old 05-08-2019, 08:50 PM

I run that Russell one on almost everything one pre and another post pump. They do not make anything with barbs. Just use some AN barb adapter fittings. It makes replacing/rebuilding/changing screen sizes in the filter easy without cutting your expensive lines.

I would leave a filter OFF the feed line and instead install it on the return line.
This eliminates the chance of vacume while constantly filtering your fuel in that loop at XXX gpm.

Install another filter off the pump going to the regulatior/carb of course.

The barb AN adapters do add to the cost. But your not cutting line each time you want to remove them.
I line to use push to connect AN fittings which have slightly larger barbs and end caps to give a clean clamp free look.

Gates 3/8 barricade is good line and will flow many fuel types at up to around 225psi. But for lower carb pressures I use marine line as that usually has a thicker wall then most typical automotive 3/8 line.
The Following User Says Thank You to cerial For This Useful Post:
lmsport (05-09-2019)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in