Fuel Pressure Regulator Thoughts - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2018, 12:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
But wouldn't that depend on when you bought fuel? Don't remember when we used to start making winter blend at work, but it was much earlier than I expected. Been retired too many years to remember for sure, but seems like it shipped from Sept to April...

Russ

Yes winter gas comes long before winter and lasts into spring. It really boils when you get some winter gas and have an extra warm spring day. Been through that more than once. And the summer/winter mixes are different all over the country, mostly vary by county. Some warmer places never go to the cheap winter gas.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T View Post
The Klotz additive makes the fuel more viscous which slows vaporization. Raises the boiling temp of gasoline. Helped a little. But at this stage of the game it's baby steps. Every little thing helps a little.

Can you kindly point me to were they claim it raises the boiling point of gasoline? I don't see that mentioned anywhere?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:12 PM
Music and Hot Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
Can you kindly point me to were they claim it raises the boiling point of gasoline? I don't see that mentioned anywhere?
I spoke with a tech guy on the phone. Had some questions I needed answered before paying 50 bux a gallon.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T View Post
I spoke with a tech guy on the phone. Had some questions I needed answered before paying 50 bux a gallon.

Hmm, I would have thought they would advertise something like that. Maybe he just told you what you wanted to hear or mayb
Old 12-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Music and Hot Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
Hmm, I would have thought they would advertise something like that. Maybe he just told you what you wanted to hear or mayb
Maybe. It's irrelevant, tho, because I need 93 octane and the only 93 we have here has ethanol. The ethanol-free stuff is 91, so I need to use an additive anyway. AVgas is comprised of smaller molecules and is formulated to run at 3500+ RPM @ an ambient temp of 60. So driving around town she's fat. Klotz works extremely well regardless of whether or not it raises the boiling point.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:31 AM

I don't know much about gasoline tech except that they have winter blends and summer blends and they both are different on how they burn etc and I don't know why but I never had issues with boiling fuel in my truck before while running ethanol free gas but almost all the stations around my small town are now all using e10 so I can't escape it and have to use it. One of the few stations that had straight gas that I always went through back in 2017 I ran there gas all summer long with no boiling issues after shutoff.

Sometime in early 2018 they went to e10 and all the other stations have been e10 for some time and after having e10 in my tank I started to have the fuel boiling issue in the hot months and slightly loosing fuel pressure after some running time. And I like you have tried a few things to remedy the situation but have yet to have success but it got colder out by the time I had some more options it was to cold for it to happen anymore so I am waiting for next summer to try to do a few more things and see if it stops the stuff.

I just think today's fuel is just not really as compatible with carburetors like it once was since fuel injection has been the standard for 30 plus years now. I read that the current ethanol blends will start to boil just over 110 degrees.

Only thing different about my truck from 2017 to 2018 was a engine swap and putting in an electric holley inline fuel pump and nothing else.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Music and Hot Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32 View Post
I don't know much about gasoline tech except that they have winter blends and summer blends and they both are different on how they burn etc and I don't know why but I never had issues with boiling fuel in my truck before while running ethanol free gas but almost all the stations around my small town are now all using e10 so I can't escape it and have to use it. One of the few stations that had straight gas that I always went through back in 2017 I ran there gas all summer long with no boiling issues after shutoff.

Sometime in early 2018 they went to e10 and all the other stations have been e10 for some time and after having e10 in my tank I started to have the fuel boiling issue in the hot months and slightly loosing fuel pressure after some running time. And I like you have tried a few things to remedy the situation but have yet to have success but it got colder out by the time I had some more options it was to cold for it to happen anymore so I am waiting for next summer to try to do a few more things and see if it stops the stuff.

I just think today's fuel is just not really as compatible with carburetors like it once was since fuel injection has been the standard for 30 plus years now. I read that the current ethanol blends will start to boil just over 110 degrees.

Only thing different about my truck from 2017 to 2018 was a engine swap and putting in an electric holley inline fuel pump and nothing else.

Yeah, I'm waiting, too. I have this return style regulator to install, and I'm thinking of incorporating a small tranny cooler under the truck to run my returned fuel thru before it enters the cell. I am still toying with the idea of installing a couple of vents in the hood near the cowl. The vents should allow the air coming thru the radiator to vent out the hood and allow swifter air movement under the hood. Hopefully, the air being ingested will also be cooler. My physical condition does not allow me the option of removing and wrapping my headers, which I'm sure would nearly cure the issues. For now, it's piece by piece, little by little. I'm making progress.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32 View Post

Yes that 110 boiling point is about right for "winter gas". Even that changes all across the country with different temperatures and different smog/pollution regulations. Evaporated gas pollutes a lot more than burnt gas so this is one situation where the fuel that is better for the environment is also better for carbureted engines.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:50 AM

I have no issues with fuel boiling after shutoff if its less then 60 degrees outside and it was only during the summer months of 70 plus degree days I had that issue and that was with summer blend fuel and I don't know when they switch to winter blend up here in Ohio but the last times of 70 degree weather was in August on average and once September rolled around and the temperatures dropped in the lower 60's and below I never had that issue anymore of the fuel boiling and under hood temperatures was not as hot.

I still though have my fuel pressure start off at 6 psi but after running a while it goes down to about 4 psi so don't know what that issue is yet but I am going to install a return line this coming spring so my pump is not dead head and just constantly pushing fuel nowhere till it needs used so I can keep a constant fuel flow and also my fuel is not there just collecting heat during the the hottest months. I also might buy a hood with a hood scoop on it so more heat can escape the engine bay as well.

Those are my few things I am going to try and see how it works.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in