Garage cooling and Fans. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2016, 12:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Garage cooling and Fans.

Looking for reasonable high flow shop fans. (highest CFM for the $ basically) Was looking at the $30-80 price range. Figure 3 fans should do it. Currently have 3 cheapo walmart 20" box fans. The plastic kind and they aren't cutting it.

So far the best I've found are these at Lowes... Claims 6800CFM rating for $45 each.

Anyone know of anything better?

Shop Utilitech 20-in 3-Speed High Velocity Fan at Lowes.com

Advertisement

Last edited by ForceFed86; 08-17-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 12:49 PM

Go to a furnace place & get the squirrel cage blower out of an old furnace , usually free & the move alot of air ...
dave
Old 08-17-2016, 12:54 PM

Looking for unit's that cover a wide area so they blow directly on me as I work. Would you still suggest squirrel cage designs for that? I actually have a few of those laying around. But mounting and portability seems limited. I was planning on installing 2 of them above the ceiling in my garage to blow hot air out of the attic area.

-thanks!

Old 08-17-2016, 02:18 PM

Thanks. I’ll check that out…

If that CFM is correct on the 20 fan I linked above, 2 of those fans would cost less than the big 8000 CFM fan and flow quite a bit more. (13,600CFM VS 8000 CFM) So they would be a better deal…

I think Lowes is wrong about the CFM flow of those 20” fans I linked above though. I looked the fan up online and other sites also claim 6800CFM. But I can’t find another 20” fan that flows anywhere close to 6800 CFM.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:26 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

Squirrel cage fans work great, move a boat load of air. Plus I get um for free from our small a/c junk yard at work.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:21 AM

Not knowing what type of garage construction you have, if you have an attic, I'd strongly suggest adding as much insulation as will fit; it makes a BIG difference for your comfort. Any/all fans will then be blowing potentially cooler air.......
Old 08-26-2016, 05:20 PM

Fans don't cool the air unless you fit an evaporator to them. I have a shop that is a a large two car garage. No windows and a door that has 3.5" of foam insulation. The walls have R19 and the ceiling has R60 insulation. It will be very easy to heat and cool but I haven't installed the heat pump yet and after three days of 95F and nights that stay above 65F it is an oven. I get up early to open it up to get rid of the heat and it cools of pretty fast but as soon as I close it up the humidity and temp work against me. I tried using a fan blowing on me and that was nice but the fan produces heat. I have fluorescent lighting and even that will heat the place up. By the middle of next month I will be able to weld in there again and I have a fair bit that I have been waiting on.
I got a quote to put in a single heat pump to heat and cool the shop and my garage (two heads) and it was $10000+. I am not prepared for that so I am thinking first the shop and next year add the garage head. I don't know if I can get away with that but I am going to ask.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:44 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,264 Posts
I use a Harbor Freight 30" Pedestal Fan which I added casters to.They are cheap and move a ton of air. You can position it where you need it and adjust its height so it blows over your head and just moves air. I've had mine for over three years now.
Works great and always on sale. Don't forget your 20% off coupon.

BB
Old 09-02-2016, 08:54 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Wiki Edits: 11

Couple of guys I work with use squirrel cages out of retired heat pump systems. Both blow more air than a four foot circular fan, but it's pretty directional. They could benefit from a diffuser of some kind to cover more area. They simply screwed them to pieces of 2x4's so they'd sit as desired on the floor. One ended up on the bottom of a cart, so it's on wheels. The wheels have to be chocked as the cart will slowly wander off until it bumps against something or the cord pulls out of the socket. Perfect, no. Cheap, yes. And boy do they move a bunch of air.
Me, I'm loving the smallest of the PortACools lately. Also very directional though, a step one way or the other and you lose the benefit. But jeez, one costs more than a freaking air conditioner. Not in my garage though, I put a big 220 volt A/C unit in there. I wouldn't want something that added humidity to where I keep my cars.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in