Garage paint booth. A few questions concerning the design and safety - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen44
i've been told Modern synchronous motors do not cause sparks when they run, like the old DC brushed motors

-- but yes there is a risk
I doubt that WalMart Chinesium box fans are particularly high quality...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 11:55 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm still considering options. I've been reading, reading and reading all week about paint booths. This one stuck out in particular. Not so much a booth but I like the simplicity of it. Paper on the ground, plastics hung from the walls, and some rolls of screen to keep bugs out and dust from coming in. There's no mention of him using fans. I imagine having the garage door wide open and using a couple 20" box fans to blow the bad stuff out keep fumes in side the garage very minimal. I wouldn't think there would be enough of a concentration of fumes to worry about in such a setup. Also, I'm sure the screen catches some of the particulates as well.

Thoughts?

Garage floor covered with masking paper.

Plastic hung on all three walls. Work bench exposed and masked with paper. I'm thinking I would seal my entry door into my house off with masking tape for insurance.

Screen material hung out side of garage door to keep bug and dust out. Might also be good to catch particles.

Better shot of plastic on walls.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Wiki Edits: 8

Just going to show you a simple paint booth that I had great results with. Was easily remove after the painting was complete. The booth acted like a down draft, the filters were located in the rear at floor level, intake. The air was move and extracted using a 3 ton AC squirrel cage blower. The exhaust in the booth was a 10 inch AC sheet metal duct connected to flexible AC duct. The pictures are self explanatory, the walls and ceiling were covered with plastic and the floor had a large drop cloth covering it.

Without a load of engineering and structure I had a paint booth that moved the air very well, had no dirt problems and would use it again in a heart beat.

I can convert the one side of my garage into a paint booth in a few hours, the ceiling remains covered in plastic. I would just need to put the plastic on the walls and bring out the blower and duct, drop the cloth on the floor and start mixing and shooting.

The only down side ...... after all the fun, time and prep the primer, color and clear we too fast it is unbelievable just how quick it finally comes together .... Happy painting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0017.JPG
Views:	3226
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	47430   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0011.JPG
Views:	3046
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	47431   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0006.JPG
Views:	2740
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	47432   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0015.JPG
Views:	3230
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	47433   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0157.JPG
Views:	3044
Size:	391.7 KB
ID:	47434  

Last edited by pepi; 08-13-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Wiki Edits: 8

Something I left out make sure you have TIMER, as important as the spray gun ... hands down.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:30 AM
body and paint guy

Last journal entry: delivered

both of those setup look like they would work awsome. I do like pepis' set up the best though. I have something similar for full cars without the ductwork. i'll have to try that. the paper on the floor works great i do it even when i use a down draft booth. pics of my setup no fans just paint in the morning and crack the door [url]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	booth2.jpg
Views:	1819
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	47440   Click image for larger version

Name:	booth.jpg
Views:	1712
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	47441  

Last edited by 2ndchanceauto; 08-14-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: learned to post pics
Old 08-16-2010, 10:03 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up knocking off that guys idea. Here are some pictures. I need to find a better way to keep the screen hung. I'm thinking of stapling the screen to 1"x2"x36" pieces of wood.

As you can see, I hung plastic on all the walls, laid some paper on the floor, and hung a screen door.

Worked like a champ and there was plenty of ventilation. The garage NEVER filled up with over spray. There was just a light mist, but it never got to the point towards I couldn't see. I wonder how well my other plan would've worked?

I still need to do something about more lighting when it comes time to do final paint.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Last journal entry: Unpacking

i found this a while ago and planned to base mine off an idea like this. im not sure if this is to late, but i hope it can help you a little. its outside but the ventilation ideas are the same.

http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id24.html

good luck!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Electrolytic rust removal
Last journal entry: power tour
Wiki Edits: 6

SUPERBEETLE...1st of all, BAAAD ride! I'm still primering parts, so not in need of a sterile booth yet, but......A master electrician at work assured me that the cheap box fans are safe IF you put them on the setting you want BEFORE you start painting and LEAVE them alone until you are all finished. He explained that the risk would be in changing speeds or starting them with excessive fumes present. 2nd, I too have a wife and child and my thought is maybe it would be best to turn my a/c unit off completely(open breaker) so as not to draw in any fumes to the house....again, that is one cool ride....post some youtube stuff!
James
Old 08-17-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwyhogg
SUPERBEETLE...1st of all, BAAAD ride! I'm still primering parts, so not in need of a sterile booth yet, but......A master electrician at work assured me that the cheap box fans are safe IF you put them on the setting you want BEFORE you start painting and LEAVE them alone until you are all finished. He explained that the risk would be in changing speeds or starting them with excessive fumes present. 2nd, I too have a wife and child and my thought is maybe it would be best to turn my a/c unit off completely(open breaker) so as not to draw in any fumes to the house....again, that is one cool ride....post some youtube stuff!
James
Thanks! That's what I've heard too about the box fans. Set them before you spray and wait until the fumes are exhausted before you turn them off. Even after all the fumes were gone I left the fans on low and the garage door cracked about 1' to exhaust the fumes from the curing paint.

Being that my garage is attached I sealed house entry door from the garage with masking tape. After I was done spraying I went inside to see if I smelled anything. Couldn't smell a thing. I went to the closest wall to the garage to be sure. Nothing.

I kinda figured the exact opposite with the A/C. Every home leaks a little cool air which seeps out of the slightest seams and cracks. So I figured with the A/C going it would blow the fumes away? I could be wrong, but again, I didn't smell anything in the house. I couldn't even small fumes in the door crack that I sealed. So all was good.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Electrolytic rust removal
Last journal entry: power tour
Wiki Edits: 6

Thanks for info on the fumes in the house....Since my air handler is in the garage, I was afraid it could pull some fumes in through there...
Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 AM

did you get mutch overspray out past your filters? my neighbour is pretty close to my garage, wouldn`t want to get overspray all over his house

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in