To get involved with a body shop lawsuit or not - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 12:25 AM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Wiki Edits: 0

To get involved with a body shop lawsuit or not

A few weeks ago I was contacted by another customer, of the body shop where most of the welding was done on my car (and some body work.) His car was screwed up badly by this shop.

From my end, I decided not to bother taking him to court.

Today this guy contacted me. This other guy is taking him to court, and wants me to either support him via letter or witness. He already told the welder he was contacting me (who in turn took the pics of my car off the website)

Normally I would support someone like this. The problem is this welder frequents a lot of the car shows where I will be attending with my car. It is possible if he gets p/o'd he could do some malicious damage to my car . There are lots of shows with people wandering about up close to the cars etc.

Anyone experience a similar dilemma?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2007, 01:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Wiki Edits: 161

Were you involved with the other guys dealings or are you coming into this lawsuit after the fact?

Did you have anything to do with his job while it was being done?

Are you a qualified inspector of that type of work, with references?

Will your letter create more animosity than help?

Your testimony will be tempered by the fact that you accepted the welders work on your own car, without taking action yourself, and if you were unhappy, your opinion can't be impartial to the case. .

If it were me, I would stay out of it, and tell the other customer to hire a welding inspector, or another fabricator or a nsra safety inspector who is not associated with anyone involved. A letter from someone like that will hold more power in court anyway.

It will keep you out of the battle, and it will give more credibility to the guys claims of shabby workmanship in court.

That's what I would do.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 02-23-2007, 01:58 AM

Don't let fear or intimidation prevent you from doing what you feel is right.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:56 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

I don't see that "supporting" this guy makes his case any better. You didn't see the work being done and have no involvement in his problems.

As far as this subject messing with your car at a show... that could happen at any time any place...what are you going to do keep your car in the garage?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

I think the question here is....Were you happy with the work done on your car?

If so.......you don't have a problem. If not....why didn't you complain before?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:19 AM

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain
Wiki Edits: 1

body shops reality

most of the people I know can't find a body shop that will do work in an honest and timely manor. It's truly rare that a body shop finishes the work on schedule. people that have "done me right" will drop the ball on your best friend's car if you recommend them. If there is a shop i town that does the job on schedule and does good work your lucky. same goes for upholstery shops, guess that's why we all think about doing it in our shops.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,945 Times in 4,410 Posts
What Mikey said.

Brian
Old 02-23-2007, 01:52 PM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video

I am not sure legally what I can add to his case. I'm not a lawyer but I saw his car being worked on, I took pictures of it underway.

His problem sounds like the classic case (discussed often here) of the prep work being done incorrectly (new paint reflowing the laquer based paint beneath.) His paint job is bubbling everywhere, despite the car never being outside.

The body shop owner has a lot of problems without my help. From his own website, he says one car owner came with the police to get his unfinished car. I don't know why anyone would advertise this negative feedback on their own website.

So as far as me being involved. I'll send him the pictures, and a letter, if he thinks that will help. His case is up to him, though. His paint problem is more straight forward than my 3/4" bondo problems. So I decided I would spend more time in court, than it would to fix the car, and fixed it.
I was smart enough to get advice from a paint shop (and this forum), and stripped all the 1K high build primer (he put on) and all of his filler work, down to bare metal, before starting my filler work.

There could be possible further problems when I get the front frame checked at a frame shop, if it wasn't assembled straight enough. I lasered the heights and it seems not too bad. one floor pan rail off spec'd height by about 1/4 - 3/16" I am more concerned about the location(s) of the front suspension points. One upper control arm mounting point is located about 1/4" higher than the opposite side. I am going to do a check on the side to side and frame squareness in a couple weeks, before I begin the front end body work and final fitment
Old 02-23-2007, 06:43 PM

I can't believe that a profesional shop with a web site is still doing restorations where he is repainting a car over an original laquer paint job!!
And 3/4 of an inch of plastic filler.... HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank god some one is taking him to court.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:57 PM
[email protected]

If you were not there thru the whole process with the other person's car, your best bet is to stay out of it at this point. You cannot be sure what the agreement was between the vehicle owner and shop.

How often do we see here, " If I et my car ready, how much will a shop charge to paint it?" on this board and others. It may have been that there was an agreement for the vehicle to be "ready to spray" when it got to the shop. Of course, the exact terms of the agreement will always be in dispute in a case like that.

I don't see where there would be any advantage for you to get involved. Basically here, if you accept work, don't complain about it, or give the worker/shop an opportunity to correct defects, you will loose big time in court. You, having accepted the work, would have no real bearing on the case. The court would likely not put much weight on what you have to say. Here, simply talking with the disgruntled customer would likely get you a subpeona to court, to tell your story. Costing you time and inconvenience.

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in