Getting a 60's Malibu - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Wiki Edits: 1

That's a good story, Brian, you remind me of my Moms' neighbor. Mom is 78 years young, lost her husband last fall. She has a 1 acre parcel in the country 2500 miles away from the rest of us kids, a house, garage and a small barn, the rest is grass to be mowed. Yard mowing, upkeep, all is done by her neighbor and his wife and teen son. If it weren't for them, she would have moved to a retirement home after her husband passed, she still is able to maintain the place she loves with the help of her neighbors. I told her when she wants to move, pack what she wants to keep and give the riding lawnmower, car, tools, etc, to them. It's a small token of appreciation, I would be worried all the time if not for their kindness, and they would do all this regardless. Acts of kindness are not always rewarded with articles of value but are ALWAYS rewarded with appreciation.
Dan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Last journal entry:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
That's a good story, Brian, you remind me of my Moms' neighbor. Mom is 78 years young, lost her husband last fall. She has a 1 acre parcel in the country 2500 miles away from the rest of us kids, a house, garage and a small barn, the rest is grass to be mowed. Yard mowing, upkeep, all is done by her neighbor and his wife and teen son. If it weren't for them, she would have moved to a retirement home after her husband passed, she still is able to maintain the place she loves with the help of her neighbors. I told her when she wants to move, pack what she wants to keep and give the riding lawnmower, car, tools, etc, to them. It's a small token of appreciation, I would be worried all the time if not for their kindness, and they would do all this regardless. Acts of kindness are not always rewarded with articles of value but are ALWAYS rewarded with appreciation.
Dan
AMEN well said!!Thx BG
Old 01-31-2008, 05:28 PM

Pictures

Here are some pictures of the car.

Last edited by Ayh127; 02-01-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:35 AM

Looks like a nice foundation for a total body-off project. Good luck prying it loose.

Antny
Old 02-03-2008, 09:17 AM

It's hard to tell from pictures the condition of a car, but the car really is "Cream Puff!" Obviously it needs work and some fixing up. Compared to other cars I've seen though it looks really good. There isn't any rust on the exterior of the body and both bumpers look great. All the bumpers need is a good polish and they are good to go. The interior is also in decent shape considering the age. You can tell it's been sitting around neglected for awhile although the old guy who owns it clearly took good care of it. It would be an excellent car for a beginner just wanting something to learn on. I only wish he'd be willing to give it up!
Old 02-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

64 Chevelle! From what I see in your pic.s it would be a nice project. Please let us know how your are making out with this. Again Good Luck!
Old 02-03-2008, 06:33 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 3,048 Times in 2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian0605
I totally agree, I have a similar story. There is an elderly lady that lives across the street from me. Husband in nursing home (Alzheimer's) and she has pace maker but is basically doing OK, and of course on a fixed uncle Sam income. 2 years ago, at Christmas, I walk outside only to look up and see her on a ladder hanging x-mas lights. I almost had a stroke!!! Needless to say I went over and took care of the lights. While I was there I saw that the storm door closing cylinders were ripped out of the door frame. A product of the Alzheimer's,so I told her I could fix it and in short order I had it back in working order. While we were standing around talking afterward I noticed she had a slightly beat up (but complete) riding lawn mower, so I inquired about it. She gave me the low down about how her husband had flipped it several times and she was incapable of using it. So I offered to buy it, she insisted that if I wanted it I could have it for free, but she wouldn't accept any money from me for it. So I took it home cleaned it up, fresh oil, sharpen the blades, charged the battery and voila, running mower. Now while I was putting this little gem back together I got to thinking about how she had to pay someone to cut her grass every two weeks from about April thru October and being on a fixed budget. I decided that if she could be kind enough to give me a riding mower that it is only fair that she will never pay someone to cut her grass as long as I live here and can still draw a breath. She has become like another grand mother to me. The Moral here is we need to take care of our old folks, you never know what you'll get in return. A big smile and hug usually!!! See ya Brian
Brian, you're my hero. God bless you.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:41 PM

The car is still sitting there! I haven't seen the old man with the dog in the park for awhile though. What should I do?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:26 PM

Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayh127
The car is still sitting there! I haven't seen the old man with the dog in the park for awhile though. What should I do?
Well it's obvious you are worried about him and should check on him to see if he is ok or if he needs any help with anything!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Dan 84 s10 with 5.7 TPI,700r4

old cars and the owners

There are some you find that when you inquire about you just have to walk away and shake your head, back in the mid 90s I was doing some tree clearing in Loxahactee Fl. after one of there hurricane's, and in this old what looked like a one car garage at one time was an 1955 chevy 2dr hardtop the motor and tranny were out and on the floor beside it 265ci p/g , so I asked the old boy if it was for sale and he said "nope thats my boys car and he is going to fix it up when he gets back from the war in nam" I just shook my head and had to feel sorry for the old boy because I sure did not have the heart to explain that that particular war had been long over, a couple of days later I was talking to the neighbor and she told me he never believed that his son had lost his life in Viet Nam and still thinks his boy is coming home.She said he had not even went to the funeral because he had refuse to believe what had happened,I felt pretty sad for him but never asked about the car again and didn't go back.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 PM

I stopped by the house and asked again. It seems the brother still doesn't want to give it up. He's very intent on keeping it until he hits the bucket!

The old guy remembered me though and said he had my contact information. It will probably be difficult to check in about the car since that dog I saw him walk a lot was a dog he was watching for someone else.

Who knows maybe I'll end up with the car one day. It's hard to find a good project car that doesn't need to much work, but is in a good price range for someone like me to buy. Just got to keep your hopes up!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in