Getting butt welded sheet metal joints smooth - Page 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2017, 10:38 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Wiki Edits: 0

you guys seem to be going off of terminology and not feel. I do not feel I should have to make a video to demonstrate this when there's already one out there, but I feel I should make one to show the differences in how cleanly and accurate cuts are when you do it how I was taught. There's one out there and when you watch it and try it, you'll know what I'm saying. When I have a moment I will try to find the video.

For now, Try the red in your left hand making right turns and and green in your right hand making left turns. Then try it however you feel is right. Then tell me which way cuts the easiest and more accurately. I guarantee you you're gonna feel the difference.

I guess I should note, you can cut left and right with the red, but they should be in your left hand. They cut cleanly either way. Sorry for the typo. In any case, reds in your LEFT hand, greens in your RIGHT hand. You can cut more cleanly making a right turn with your green but if you're left handed there's the compromise. Get what I'm saying? This is why I use only my red.

Advertisement

Last edited by tech69; 01-21-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2017, 10:52 AM
put up or shut up

further clarification

RED OFFSETS=LEFT HAND L or R turns

GREEN OFFSETS=RIGHT HAND R or L turns

unless you're just as good with your opposite hand cutting accurately to cut lines, I mean accurate, than that's what works best in my opinion. I'm not gonna go grab my green offsets cause they say it's best for right turns if they don't feel right in my left hand, and if I use my right hand the cut isn't as accurate.

There, that's very clear to what how I feel. Take it or leave it, I don't care. It works best in my opinion.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,759 Times in 2,650 Posts
Henry. You're absolutely full of it.

I'm a 37 year sheet metal veteran. Stainless steel that is. Go out and cut some 18 ga stainless with your wrong hand and get back to us. Offsets or not.

I know what I'm talking about. Too bad you won't admit that you remembered wrong about what this expert told you. I'm certain he told you left and right cutting but you thought he meant hold the snips in left and right hands.

Anyhow, enjoy cutting like a nut when you could be enjoying using your strong hand, ha.....
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (01-21-2017)

Old 01-21-2017, 11:41 AM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,571 Times in 1,032 Posts
Like I said.. Nothing has changed ..

I don't call myself a expert because I still learn EVERYDAY.. But have been playing with steel, alum, and stainless my whole life now.. Both welding and fitting.. Pugsy. No need to explain any more... There is a lot more to do in the shop.. Plus there's more fun out there.. See Ya..
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 12:15 PM
put up or shut up

I will try it like you say, maybe I missed something but I've tried it that way before and my conclusion was that the red is for your left hand and right for your left hand. I will go try a right turn with the greens in my left hand right now, but I doubt I will learn anything new.

Like I said, I'm not the only one who agrees to what I'm saying. I didn't come up with this on my own. I just tried it and it made sense.

New Interiors, I'm glad you don't call yourself expert cause experts are guys like peter Tomaisini and guys on that level. The rest of us should just be happy to have skills and to always be seeking to learn more. That's a great comment on your part and that's what separates the know it alls from the guys who continue to seek better results.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:23 PM
put up or shut up

been reading some sites and apparently this is an ongoing debate. Some people agree with what you're saying and some people agree with what I'm saying. I also read lots of left handed people use the red handled ones exclusively, which is what I am and what I do. In the end of these threads give you the impression that whatever works the best for you is what's best for you. Trust me, I've tried every which way with both. With lots of things, there is no path set in stone. You do what's easiest and works best. When I tried metal shaping, I first tried to stop doing everything I learned from body work and it wasn't working. Once I combined both in a sense with the final quality being totally metal shaping and not auto body, it all started to take "shape". My point being, you read the traditional way to do things, you learn what's right and wrong and what you can play with, and you evolve into what works for you. Right or wrong? Whatever, the results speak.

in left hand doing a right cut/ like a hot knife thru butter

Old 01-22-2017, 01:37 AM

Always remember the world is full of people that are right and some that are wrong... At times both... They are advertised as right cut's and left cut's.. Not right handed or left handed for a reason..
123pugsy (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post

New Interiors, I'm glad you don't call yourself expert cause experts are guys like peter Tomaisini and guys on that level. The rest of us should just be happy to have skills and to always be seeking to learn more. That's a great comment on your part and that's what separates the know it alls from the guys who continue to seek better results.

I just believe in letting another man praise you, and not your own mouth... I know what I can do already,, I don't wear it on my sleeve.. And don't have to prove it to anyone anymore..

Always remember not ALL advise your told is right.. Good Night..
123pugsy (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 06:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
This is true, especially if you have left about 1/4" to trim. More or less and the curl will not turn away from the work piece and you will have to continually bend it out of your way. Rather interesting when you start watching how it works.

John
Look close at the blades. The ones I have aren't aviation snips just regular snips. The green ones are a mirror image of the red ones.(everything is backwards) I actually tried to cut right with the red ones and it was impossible, the curl prevented them from cutting right at all. but like I said these are not aviation snips just regular ole Wiss snips that come in a 3pac.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
been reading some sites and apparently this is an ongoing debate. Some people agree with what you're saying and some people agree with what I'm saying. I also read lots of left handed people use the red handled ones exclusively, which is what I am and what I do. In the end of these threads give you the impression that whatever works the best for you is what's best for you. Trust me, I've tried every which way with both. With lots of things, there is no path set in stone. You do what's easiest and works best. When I tried metal shaping, I first tried to stop doing everything I learned from body work and it wasn't working. Once I combined both in a sense with the final quality being totally metal shaping and not auto body, it all started to take "shape". My point being, you read the traditional way to do things, you learn what's right and wrong and what you can play with, and you evolve into what works for you. Right or wrong? Whatever, the results speak.

in left hand doing a right cut/ like a hot knife thru butter
It's also easy to drive on the wrong side of the road,, But doesn't mean it's right...
Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 AM

Well I just read through the debate. I'll have to do more practicing but I don't see me doing anything with these in my left hand and it not turning out horribly.

These snips are rated up to 18ga Steve. I really think they pushed the rating on that. It is impossible for me to use these traits one hand. Most of the time I was resting 1 handle on a solid table and then pushing down on the top one with my weight. The snips do it well without flexing, but it is NOT easy.

I also thought these would allow me to cut crazy shapes out of metal like a scissors through paper. I'm vary limited with how I can turn once im a blade's depth into the sheet. I'm disappointed with this purchase.

Of course my inexperience is surely a large part of what's wrong. I don't see the difficulty in cutting 18ga material changing though. That's what I'll be working with almost exclusively too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2017, 09:52 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,759 Times in 2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Well I just read through the debate. I'll have to do more practicing but I don't see me doing anything with these in my left hand and it not turning out horribly.

These snips are rated up to 18ga Steve. I really think they pushed the rating on that. It is impossible for me to use these traits one hand. Most of the time I was resting 1 handle on a solid table and then pushing down on the top one with my weight. The snips do it well without flexing, but it is NOT easy.

I also thought these would allow me to cut crazy shapes out of metal like a scissors through paper. I'm vary limited with how I can turn once im a blade's depth into the sheet. I'm disappointed with this purchase.

Of course my inexperience is surely a large part of what's wrong. I don't see the difficulty in cutting 18ga material changing though. That's what I'll be working with almost exclusively too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I mentioned, you want a cheap electric shear for rough/large piece cuts.
You use the electrics up to the point that there is 1/8" to 3/16" left over. The hand snips will cut thru like butter then.

Your purchase is just fine. Hog out all but a wee bit and then trim very nicely.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:00 AM

I did do a rough trim 123pugsy, but I didn't do that close. Maybe that's the problem. Will the snips be able to make hard corner turns in material (like a scissors) when I leave only a little bit? Probably just have to go out and try it right now!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schroeder For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-22-2017), NEW INTERIORS (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 10:39 AM
put up or shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
I just believe in letting another man praise you, and not your own mouth... I know what I can do already,, I don't wear it on my sleeve.. And don't have to prove it to anyone anymore..

Always remember not ALL advise your told is right.. Good Night..
go search it out yourself. There's plenty of people out there that agree and disagree. It doesn't matter to me what you think, it's the internet.

As I said, I must be doing something right if those are the results. Keep chirping. You just sound like a hater.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 AM
put up or shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
It's also easy to drive on the wrong side of the road,, But doesn't mean it's right...
like I said, plenty of people agree with me and plenty of people agree with you. There's plenty of people out there who think the labeling on snips is backwards. Go do the research for yourself. If you can't do that, you're stubborn and not open minded. After your post, I went out there to try it how others have suggested, like I already did in the past, and once again I find my way works best for me.

I only posted the pics cause you are trying to give the impression that I don't know what I'm doing. Clearly that's not the case. So have fun hating.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in