Getting butt welded sheet metal joints smooth - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2016, 12:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What kind of Voltage and feed r u guys running for 18ga steel?

Guys, I appreciate all the information this far. Keep it coming. This is all great knowledge to have so as to avoid the situation I'm in on future welds. In the mean time I used my TIG welder for damage control. I set it to 60 amps and hut the welds. I drug them out further to make them lay in the shrunken spots. I think the lizard skin under body paint I plan to use will hide the welds now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 02:55 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

I go by the door settings on my machine. the process is tack tack tack and then hammer hammer hammer. Repeat until the part is welded. then file the seam. If you have holes either you are too hot or you are lingering in a spot too long..

Sam
Old 12-31-2016, 03:43 PM

I was going to pipe in here with suggestions, like you might be using your grinders in the reverse order, but the post from MP&C covers it way better than I could.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:17 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,759 Times in 2,650 Posts
Cut the problem areas off and weld in a new piece.

If you want to repair a thin spot, take your TIG and hold it there for a brief moment and the micro metal will flow away until it gets to thicker metal.

Get that TIG machine out and practice. It's the best if you want nice invisible welds.

The third pic shows an area of poor tacking where one sheet is higher than the other. Each tack has been ground down with a zip disc to reveal this. It is then knocked up from the back with a hammer on dolly before welding with filler rod.

Rod Doc likes to fuse his material but I prefer adding filler so that it penetrates right thru leaving little gribnets on the back.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046 (Small).jpg
Views:	727
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	336842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068 (Small).jpg
Views:	746
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	336850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515 (Small).jpg
Views:	786
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	336858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536 (Small).jpg
Views:	761
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	336866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0593 (Small).jpg
Views:	742
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	336874  

Old 12-31-2016, 07:51 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

mig feed rollers ?

You said you were having trouble using smaller wire. If your feed rollers are worn you might need new rollers for the wire size and a new tip and mabe even a new liner.
There are a few new welders out there that can do pulse mig they would be ideal for us part time hobby welders but the prices are still too high for me. I have seen You tubes of guys using silicon bronze in their wire feed for body panels. I know oxy acety brazing must be sanded clean to avoid later paint problems.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I did some research on the internet on using co2 on sheet metal and found that it is not good for sheet metal as it welds hotter. I've always used 75/25 and never even knew they sold 70/30.

75/25 is correct, my bad. forget about clecos and get some 1/4" drill screws. Clecos look cool but are almost useless in real life metal work. especially when it comes to fitting and welding.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
GREAT cleco vid by lazze. I'm finally sold on them and ordering now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Save your money drill screws are better in every way. and also easier to use and faster. theres no clearance troubles if you need to close a door or deck lid to check the gaps. I ran out and bought my first set after seeing Days of Thunder. I just had to have them and couldn't be talked out of it. Are you using a tig or mig? I suggest getting used to mig and getting the hang of welding and what a good weld looks like before wasting time and money with a tig You have to start at the beginning. Any welding coarse worth a dang will start you off with oxy/act then electric then mig and you wont even get to touch a tig until the second year.
You say your mig wont work well with 020 wire, look at the drive wheel and it should have two groves you have to turn it around so your using the groove marked 020. some of the better welders a few drive wheels including rubber ones for aluminum wire, yes, you can weld aluminum with a mig. What kind of mig are you using? I'd forget about trying to tig and stick with the mig until you get good at welding. anyone can get good at mig welding in a few months some a few weeks its the easiest way to get good welds. look into EZ gring wire, its softer and the welds are softer.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:01 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,759 Times in 2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
You tubes of guys using silicon bronze in their wire feed for body panels. I know oxy acety brazing must be sanded clean to avoid later paint problems.
Watch out for you tube guys.
Those silicon bronze welds will crack for sure.
Only use this material if you want something to fill with.
It's very brittle and can't be worked with a dolly.

I haven't heard about the oxy/ace welding issue before.
Are you talking about the golden brazing rod? That should also not be used on body panels. A regular steel TIG rod can be used which is actually the best of all 3 methods. It's the least brittle.

(I didn't include arc welding as a method)

Pics below are of silicon bronze added after the pieces were already welded. I wanted some filler for a small corner radius.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2308 (Medium).jpg
Views:	705
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	336914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2302 (Medium).jpg
Views:	714
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	336922  
Old 01-01-2017, 06:14 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

oxy acety braze body panels

When I worked at Ford they used gas welding on certain spots on the 65 and later mustangs, on the Quarter panel door opening where the fold for the character line and at the tail end of the quarter under the tail casting, the gas was a mix and they used a large tip and the blue flame cone was about an inch long, they had to keep up with the assembly line speed. Later down the line they used a wire wheel or a rag buffer that was dipped in glue then in abrasive, Usually the welds were smooth and they just needed to remove the glass flux. I still have about 10 pounds of the flux coated rod the guy that was working on the shut down team gave me when the factory closed . Anybody that still had their old ID card got into the big garage sale. I don't know the alloy but it is an easy flowing rod and is a golden color, and leaves a lot of glass flux on the weld. .
Old 01-01-2017, 07:43 AM

Don't get me wrong, theres no doubt tig welding is by far prettier and looks best of all methods and is what we should strive for BUT lets be real here what good is all that pretty when its under bondo and primer? Not only that but walk into ANY bodyshop and try to find a tig welder, it aint gonna happen, tigs are too slow and the learning curve too steep for most But you will find one or two or more migs at any given bodyshop. Trust me even a mig will be hard enough to learn without any welding experience or someone to show you how, and what good welds are supposed to look like. When it comes to weld beads, prettier isn't always better you need to know about penetration the root and proper surface and joint prep, you have to know what to look for if you want it right. Just because anyone can hook up a ground and pull the trigger on a mig and join two pieces of metal on the first try don't mean your ready to tear into a wrecked or rusted car and start replacing frame rails or sheetmetal but it is (by far) the easiest way to learn welding. Trust me when I say this if anyone is having trouble mig welding theres no way you'll be able to tig with success so have some fun playing with the tig then put it up on a shelf and get good at mig welding before you take it down again.
Arc welding is not an option when it comes to cars only thicker stuff but is a valuable part of the learning process at welding courses.
Although I've never been able to gas weld (steel rod) it is a good way to do sheetmetal on OLD cars but NEVER on newer cars with high carbon steel or high strength steel. I hope this helps you to know some of the "why's" about our welding answers and why they vary. Stick to mig welding for now, master it, and forget about the tig.
Think of it like this, if you cant lay down primer without getting runs everywhere and dry spots everywhere else, getting a nice paint gun wont help much, you need to learn gun control and the basics of how a gun works so when there is a problem you can take it apart and fix the problem. also you shouldn't think you can do better at painting until you've learned priming.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 01-01-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:43 AM

Wow. Very impressed with all the answers I'm getting here and how quickly they're coming. Different from a lot of other forums. I hope you guys chime in on all my future posts!!!

Anyway, forget the clecos and just use sheet metal screws? I need to cancel that order ASAP if that's what you're all recommending.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Wow. Very impressed with all the answers I'm getting here and how quickly they're coming. Different from a lot of other forums. I hope you guys chime in on all my future posts!!!

Anyway, forget the clecos and just use sheet metal screws? I need to cancel that order ASAP if that's what you're all recommending.

That's what I recommend and use, self drilling metal screws, 1/4" head. 5.00 for a 100 at Lowes but you can get better quality and cheaper if you search around the internet. But you wont know how much better they are unless you've used the Clecos. I think I paid 100.00 for my first set of 20 or 30 with the plyers. Heck I probably DROP 20 screws every time I open a box.
Now go watch Days of Thunder and you see a car they are building with Clecos and its about the coolest thing you'll ever see, looks like a porkypine.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:23 AM

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kej5...s#t=16.2504793
I think im going to go watch the movie again.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:03 AM

What is days of thunder? When I type that in YouTube there are a ton of videos and I don't really have a way to arrow down which one you're referring to as a lot of them have to do with cars. Do you have s link?

Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 AM

Ok. Just saw u posted he says of thunder clip. I wondered if u meant the movie.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in