Getting butt welded sheet metal joints smooth - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2017, 05:40 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,759 Times in 2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I've never liked tin snips because they leave jagged eyes and want to make a curved cut.

Does anyone use die grinders other ham harbor freight ones? I'm looking for a quality brand that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. I don't think I need a dotco. Is a desalt much better than a harbor freight central pneumatic? A dealer can be had for ~$50, but it's money wasted if it's gonna start leaking past the seals inside and lose power like the HF ones do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find air die grinders are useless. Electric is where the torque is.

I bought a cheapo from Princess Auto and it has great torque.
I'm expecting it to burn out, but you never know how long it may last.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 05:40 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kma4444 View Post

You need some like this for your trimming. Watch youtube vids on their proper use and care and you will fund you use them regularly. Really can't do without them.

Sorry, I'm slow.
X2, if you want to play with metal, take the time to learn and you're set.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
I've never liked tin snips because they leave jagged eyes and want to make a curved cut.

Does anyone use die grinders other ham harbor freight ones? I'm looking for a quality brand that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. I don't think I need a dotco. Is a desalt much better than a harbor freight central pneumatic? A dealer can be had for ~$50, but it's money wasted if it's gonna start leaking past the seals inside and lose power like the HF ones do.

My HF die grinders work great. Sometimes the large nut at the very front (under the plastic cover) loosens up and has to be tightened but they all have worked great for many years. There are no seals inside any of them.
I use both, snips AND the cutoff wheel, mostly the cutoff wheel is used for my finish cuts, I don't like any gap at all tight ,tight ,tight.
As far as the die grinders being useless, you couldn't be more wrong, I couldn't do this work without them. The only electric tools I use is a drop light, if your air tools aren't working then get a real compressor. You need at least 100 lbs of steady working pressure to do any kind of body and paint work.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 01-10-2017 at 06:12 AM.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Is this the one you bought? http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...er/A-p8395907e.

It doesn't seem like they make any small die grinders. They're all long necks. I think I saw dyna brade made a small one but they want like $600! Not cheap- like any dyna brade product.

I find air grinders useless too but i believe it's mainly because I don't have an industrial compressor. I have a large one for a shop with a couple hundred gallon capacity and nice sized motor, but a die grinder eats they the air volume quickly. Compressor can't keep up.

I'll look into the snips, watch vids, and buy. Thanks for the suggestions

Old 01-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Quote:
Is this the one you bought? 6A Electric Die Grinder | Princess Auto.

It doesn't seem like they make any small die grinders. They're all long necks. I think I saw dyna brade made a small one but they want like $600! Not cheap- like any dyna brade product.

I find air grinders useless too but i believe it's mainly because I don't have an industrial compressor. I have a large one for a shop with a couple hundred gallon capacity and nice sized motor, but a die grinder eats they the air volume quickly. Compressor can't keep up.

I'll look into the snips, watch vids, and buy. Thanks for the suggestions

Yes, if you're stuck in Canada and are getting screwed on pricing for everything. If you're here, wait for it to go on sale.

If you're in the States, hit Harbor Freight as Mike mentioned.

Most of us hobbyist will never have a compressor that can keep up with air tools so having cheap electrics is the way to go.

You don't need a short die grinder for 99% of your work.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:51 AM

I picked up a 3 pack of Midwest snips last night off eBay for $49 or so. Reviews on amazon and YouTube said they're all the rage.

I know a guy can get by with a long electric die grinder but they're heavy and almost take 2 hands 2 operate. A small version would b nice, but I can definitely get by with them- more so than I can with small air tools that I can't feed. I'm in the process of getting another dewalt now. Gotta love eBay negotiations

Old 01-11-2017, 09:19 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,272 Times in 4,537 Posts
Quote:
I picked up a 3 pack of Midwest snips last night off eBay for $49 or so. Reviews on amazon and YouTube said they're all the rage.

I know a guy can get by with a long electric die grinder but they're heavy and almost take 2 hands 2 operate. A small version would b nice, but I can definitely get by with them- more so than I can with small air tools that I can't feed. I'm in the process of getting another dewalt now. Gotta love eBay negotiations

If you didn't get "offset" snips you are missing the boat big time. They will let you cut a three foot piece of metal almost no distortion. I didn't understand how they work because they have "Left" and "Right" I just didn't get it, thinking they were for left and right hand curves or something. But the the "left and right" are for cutting off the left or right side. With a quality pair you can cut a 32nd inch slice off the edge if you wanted, they are that precise.

M2007 - Malco M2007 - Max2000 Offset Aviation Hand Snips, Right Cutting

Brian
Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 AM

I bought straight, left, and right. They came as a set

Old 01-11-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Then they aren't "Offset" if it doesn't say "Offset" in the name. There are "straight" left and right ones, that is not what I am talking about, "offset" is different.

Brian
Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
If you didn't get "offset" snips you are missing the boat big time. They will let you cut a three foot piece of metal almost no distortion. I didn't understand how they work because they have "Left" and "Right" I just didn't get it, thinking they were for left and right hand curves or something. But the the "left and right" are for cutting off the left or right side. With a quality pair you can cut a 32nd inch slice off the edge if you wanted, they are that precise.

M2007 - Malco M2007 - Max2000 Offset Aviation Hand Snips, Right Cutting

Brian
I bought a set of these by Midwest but seldom use them as I have the cheap electric shears.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:

Brians talking about aviation snips. You can cut metal without curving it, the metal stays straight. They are 100% better than regular snips of any brand.
I hope your elec die grinder has a speed control and some kind of tooless quick release to change your bits or you'll be spending most of your time looking for the tool to change the bit. ask me how I know.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:53 AM

A good friend of mine thought he could do all this work without a good compressor (he had a cheap one that could barely blow up a tire) he bought electric tools too. He wasted way more money than the price of the compressor cost. ended up buying one anyways. You really should upgrade your compressor air tools are much better and easier to use and last longer, plus they are cheaper, its the best advise I can give you. Eventually while your working you'll drop a piece of steel on the floor and cut the cord, my friend got the sheet shocked out of him when he did it. At least get 18v battery tools if your going to use electric.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 01-12-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:20 AM

I exchanged the snips that I had for the offset variety shown here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/131593546838

Deadbodyman, point taken on the compressor. I just can't justify coughing up the money for a job shop sized compressor though. When I cut a cord, get a lights show, and maybe a shock I won't be able to say I wasn't warned.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Quote:
I exchanged the snips that I had for the offset variety shown here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/131593546838

Deadbodyman, point taken on the compressor. I just can't justify coughing up the money for a job shop sized compressor though. When I cut a cord, get a lights show, and maybe a shock I won't be able to say I wasn't warned.

I wouldn't change regular for those offsets.
Regular are best for final trimming.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I wouldn't change regular for those offsets.
Regular are best for final trimming.
Really? What am I missing? I have never been able to use straight snips do anything like I can with the offset. With sharp offsets I can trim a 32nd of an inch off a three foot piece of 20 gauge and could never do that with regulars, what am I doing wrong with those regular snips?

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in