Getting butt welded sheet metal joints smooth - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2017, 12:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I wouldn't change regular for those offsets.
Regular are best for final trimming.

Do u have regular and offsets?

It sounds like u can do accurate cuts with offsets too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,761 Times in 2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Really? What am I missing? I have never been able to use straight snips do anything like I can with the offset. With sharp offsets I can trim a 32nd of an inch off a three foot piece of 20 gauge and could never do that with regulars, what am I doing wrong with those regular snips?

Brian
With regular snips, you can trim a 3' strip off at 1/32 easily as well because the thin strip curls up out of the way.
Offsets are good for not trimming a thin strip off but rather cutting right thru say something like a 2' wide sheet.

Brian, you are talking about the regular green and red snips, right?
If so, just nibble a wee bit at a time. Also, make sure you rotate the snip away from where the sheet enters. Do not hold them straight up and down like a pair of scissors. If the top blade is on the right, rotate the whole snip clockwise as you are facing it from the rear. If the top blade is on the left, rotate the snip cc as you face it from the rear.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Do u have regular and offsets?

It sounds like u can do accurate cuts with offsets too.

I do, but the offsets forces you to hold them differently as though you need to stand on your tiptoes and look straight down.
Or like you need to hold your hand with your wrist bent or something.
Been working on the house awhile now so I can't remember exactly but I found I hardly use them after buying them.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:34 PM

Well what's the consensus?? Regular or offsets? What's the best all around type for automotive sheet metal work- making fender flares, patches, panel modification like I have posted in this thread, and all other mods short of actually making full panels??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Well, I've been a sheet metal mechanic for 37 years, but what do I know.

I was just out in the garage and picked up my offsets. You are forced to turn your hand downward with your wrist up to do the cutting with them.

Get a green offset and a red regular and you'll have one of each.
You'll then have first hand experience on which kind to buy if a pair gets dull.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,272 Times in 4,537 Posts
I'm going to study what you said and see how it works for me. Thanks

Brian
Old 01-13-2017, 04:17 AM

I just watched this video. This guy had another review of snips that turned me towards the Midwest brand. https://youtu.be/z_ZrBPUT_Ic

Anyway, this video highlights the different types of snips. Pugsy, I really think that the BEST OVERALL type of snip would be the offset. You can't cut a whole sheet if u want and u can shear of a paper thin edge (as shown in this video). It would be nice to have both around, but these are not every day tools for me. I try to minimize the amount of those in my shop.

I have both of these coming to the house, so I can still change my mind!! Haha The eBay vendor said they'll take the straights back and eat the shipping. They have been fast too. Great seller. I'll get their store name and post it here later. They sell all sorts of tools.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I just watched this video. This guy had another review of snips that turned me towards the Midwest brand. https://youtu.be/z_ZrBPUT_Ic

Anyway, this video highlights the different types of snips. Pugsy, I really think that the BEST OVERALL type of snip would be the offset. You can't cut a whole sheet if u want and u can shear of a paper thin edge (as shown in this video). It would be nice to have both around, but these are not every day tools for me. I try to minimize the amount of those in my shop.

I have both of these coming to the house, so I can still change my mind!! Haha The eBay vendor said they'll take the straights back and eat the shipping. They have been fast too. Great seller. I'll get their store name and post it here later. They sell all sorts of tools.

Schroeder I have to tell you something here, Pugsy is one of THE masters of metal, listen to him. I know I am going to revisit my use of the tin snips after reading what he said. I don't think the straight ones will make the offset leave my garage but damn it, with Pugsy's recommendation and guideline on using tin snips I am rethinking this for sure! I printed out what he said so I can have it next to me in the garage. No, do not question what he has to say, honestly, he is a MASTER at this stuff!

Brian
Old 01-13-2017, 05:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,115 Posts
I dont even know what happened to my yellow and green ones I only use the red. (Im right handed)
Keep your old ones for rusty metal, never use your good ones on rusty metal.
Good video, I need a new set of snips too. mid western sounds pretty good.
I just learned something today, Thanks.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Schroeder I have to tell you something here, Pugsy is one of THE masters of metal, listen to him. I know I am going to revisit my use of the tin snips after reading what he said. I don't think the straight ones will make the offset leave my garage but damn it, with Pugsy's recommendation and guideline on using tin snips I am rethinking this for sure! I printed out what he said so I can have it next to me in the garage. No, do not question what he has to say, honestly, he is a MASTER at this stuff!

Brian
I'm not down playing what pugsy has recommended. I appreciate the advice and respect it knowing almost everyone on here is a better metal worker than i! Haha

I like to collect all the opinions I can to help make my decision though, and right now just from watching videos I think I need the offsets. Perhaps they aren't as ergonomically as friendly as normal snips, as pugsy has mentioned, but normal snips have always annoyed the hell out of me. As the video points out, they have issues cutting deeper than the depth of the blade. Yes, you can flex and wiggle your hand to get them through, but now we're looking at weird ergonomics again. Cutting farther than blade depth ON AN EDGE may not be an issue for normal snips as pugsy has mentioned, but I want an all around set. These r too much money and used too little to have 2 sets. I don't do this for a living. Choosing an "all around" set always means compromising and settling. I'm willing to compromise a little ergonomics with the offset snips because I think they'll better serve me.

As of right now I'm trying the offsets unless someone can make a better argument. If I regret my decision I won't be able to say, "pugsy didn't warn me!" Haha

I am excited to try these puppies out.

Glad we could help you learn of a new product, deadbodyman.

By the way, the great seller on ebay that stocks these is bowers tool. I ordered these like 2 days ago and they're here from texas. I'm in NW ohio. Wow! And not to mention the exchange they're letting me pull off. Here is a link to a set of offsets: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131593546838

Old 01-13-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not down playing what pugsy has recommended. I appreciate the advice and respect it knowing almost everyone on here is a better metal worker than i! Haha

I like to collect all the opinions I can to help make my decision though, and right now just from watching videos I think I need the offsets. Perhaps they aren't as ergonomically as friendly as normal snips, as pugsy has mentioned, but normal snips have always annoyed the hell out of me. As the video points out, they have issues cutting deeper than the depth of the blade. Yes, you can flex and wiggle your hand to get them through, but now we're looking at weird ergonomics again. Cutting farther than blade depth ON AN EDGE may not be an issue for normal snips as pugsy has mentioned, but I want an all around set. These r too much money and used too little to have 2 sets. I don't do this for a living. Choosing an "all around" set always means compromising and settling. I'm willing to compromise a little ergonomics with the offset snips because I think they'll better serve me.

As of right now I'm trying the offsets unless someone can make a better argument. If I regret my decision I won't be able to say, "pugsy didn't warn me!" Haha

I am excited to try these puppies out.

Glad we could help you learn of a new product, deadbodyman.

By the way, the great seller on ebay that stocks these is bowers tool. I ordered these like 2 days ago and they're here from texas. I'm in NW ohio. Wow! And not to mention the exchange they're letting me pull off. Here is a link to a set of offsets: Midwest Aviation Offset Snip Set Right Left & Stright Cut 18ga. MWT-P6510RLS USA | eBay

Remember though, you could use a tool, let's say a cheap guitar, can you learn to play on it, sure. But grab a Fender Strait and see how much easier it is to play! A cheap poorly balanced body hammer is going to make learning a LOT harder, so when those tin snips work, they get the job done, having the others may make it easier. Or at the very least make it easier to do certain things. I have 37 vice grips in my tool box, many different kinds, just a few copies actually, many different. Every single one of them make the job easier, where the others not use sit in the box doing nothing until another job comes along when they are the cat's meow, get my point?

Brian
Old 01-13-2017, 07:16 PM

I do. Thanks a lot for the insight!

Any more insight on which aviation snip is best or have any more welding insight?

Last edited by Schroeder; 01-13-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:33 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

snip use

My wife calls me Tim the tool man. I have regular red, green and yellow snips, then regular offset red and greens , to do left and right turn cuts. I was taught to use the offset snips with my hand under the stock. the snips turned upside down from what most people do. that is shown in the video Post 7 where Cris was demonsting Cleco use. I have never seen the 90* ofsets, Maybe I need some of those too ! When I was doing heating duct take-outs I would use a step drill bit then use my Model 12 Black and Decker power shear, The HF knock off costs less than the thumbnail sized bottom die I need for the old B & D no 12. I have always had Wiess snips.
A B & D no 12 looks like this and they want a lot for used ones
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3718254...666&rmvSB=true

Last edited by timothale; 01-14-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:57 AM

Do u use regular or offset most, timothale?

Old 01-14-2017, 09:05 PM

Here's another question, what do u guys do with the back of welds. There are some tiny spots where he weld didn't go all the way thru. U can see the 2 edges of the parent metal and the patch in other words. Do you fill these spots in?

It brings up the question: what do you do when you can access the back of the panel? For instance, I plan on stretching my quarter panels. There may be spots on the inside I can't reach. I'm guessing they have to be let go. Just know they're there though bothers the crap outta me.

I checked several things today. My compressor is smaller than I thought. It's 6.5HP and 60 gallon. Could putting a higher horse motor on it be enough?

I regulated my air down to 50psi. The weld grinding 3M 01991 wheel and small cut off wheel worked. This will not work for roloc discs and surface finishing discs. I have to run the compressor full bore for those.

Also opened the offset Midwest aviation snips. They definitely push the rating I think. They do 18GA steal, but I thought they'd do it easier. They don't flex at all though. You can trim a hair off the edge of a sheet and not slip or move once.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in