Give me fuel pump info 101 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2019, 12:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Give me fuel pump info 101

So i have a solid state facet electric fuel pump, the line leaves the tank, has a filter then into pump line out of pump to second filter then to regulator then to carb,

i was putzing with some trouble shooting and the engine is running at idle, i can see in the filters and notice no fuel was going into that second filter the element was wet with fuel but no flow, then every so often a little fuel would dribble into the filter.

if i shut the engine off and it sets a while that filter will be almost full of fuel but start engine and it pulls it out and i see basically no flow, just wet element, is this correct?

i would have thought the pump should have kept that filter full of fuel under low pressure but still full.

many thanks
b

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 06:03 AM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

Why is there a second filter on the out side of the pump? You see fuel in a filter, are these those cheesey low flow glass things.

Those always do what you describe @ the carb. usually some fuel seen, not just wet.

Me thinks having 2 is really restrictive, you driving the car ?

One filter between the tank and pump is all that is needed.

fuel filter pluming 101

BTW love the side pipes

Pep
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0018.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	446269  
Old 08-13-2019, 02:16 PM

I have two Rip tide, pre filter between tank and pump and identical filter prior to carb. But have a large electric pump as well. Reasoning was had several issues with crappy fuel at one time. They are both large fram gold filters though. No cheezy glass ones that can break! I have no issues with mine.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:19 PM

pressure gauge at pump reads between 5.5 and 7 psi constant
Old 08-13-2019, 06:37 PM

You assumed a bit there and are mistaken i should have gave more details.

I am not running "cheesy" as you call them filters which btw are not restrictive but have a bad stigma from cracking and breaking and leaking mostly from being over tightened.

mine are a commen plastic filter made by fram and many others, they have a paper element same element used in their metal filters unless you get metal etc element. in mine the fuel can be seen, i wanted to see the fuel and any debris for testing.
they are unless plugged with debris non restrictive and as someone else pointed out some peoole do run one before and and after the pump
I have for over 40 years and never an issue unless of course they plug up, then just swap in a new one.

In this case its on a vw less than 3 feet of line, the vette you like the side pipes on different creature runs a large racer type filter.

my orgirinal post was more about thinking it odd flow in the vw filter completely stops and starts but does not seem to effect engine at idle and must have to do with pressure cut off in the fuel pump but im guessing at the moment.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 PM

I know on the walboro fuel pump it has a arrow on the body. But once the rubber sleeve is on, that arrow is covered, and it would be easy to install the pump backwards.

If you suspect the filter remove it and install a temporary section of line in its place. If you have all fittings you can use fitting to barb to barb to fitting to make the thing any length you need.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:19 AM

Sorry Bats guess we misread what you wrote. Too me if you have an electric pump which i do as well. once the pump is turned on the pump would pump a certain amount of fuel at a constant pressure (which mine does), if not there is a blockage or the pump is bad.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:40 PM

Sedan, what you just posted was my way of thinking too, but i honestly never paid a great deal of attention to the ele fuel pump or didnt have a filter i could see the fuel, so i dont know their idocentrities.

We all can make mistakes but everything is installed in the correct direction and in the case of these filters they have to be very full of trash not to flow a little bit, they are new, the # 2 is clear, # 1 has a few flakes of rust form the tank, but not blocking flow.

my pump i have wasnt a cheapie its the facet solid state it is cloned and those clones are not the quality of the real facet, its the one with a black molded body, not the metal cube style.

To clarify, the first filter between tank and pump stays full, makes sense that gravity, but the 2nd filter the one after the pump before regulator, which my reg isnt that cheap leak prone dial type its a good holley unit.

So i was watching that filter, and as i was saying the carb will basically pull all the fuel out of it then it refills but seems very hit or miss half assed, and my thought was is the regulator someway causing the pump to stop flowing or is the pump going out,

This type pump will sound different if pumping fuel or if the tank has ran empty doesnt help much here as you cant hear it when engine is running,

Im going to do some other rests and will report my results but i am leaning that even though its running the pump is going out.

thanks all.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:32 AM

One test we always did back when i was still working in a shop was to unhook it at the carb, put that end in a coffee can and see how fast it filled it up. A pump in good working order no matter if electric or manual should fill the coffee can rather quickly. Good luck on your endevors.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in