GM power steering pressures - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2019, 05:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

GM power steering pressures

I have a LT1 from a 93 Corvette installed in a 50 Chevy Truck. All of that sits on a S-10 chassis.

The power steering pump is from the 93 Vette but I changed out the S-10 non power steering box to a GM quick steer power steering box . I started thinking about pump pressures and was wondering if this pump will work with the steering box. Do the GM pumps all run at the same pressures ?

While we are discussing steering I have another question. When I installed the power steering box, I had to change out the pitman arm. I have read some post that people mention a sleeve that should be installed at the lower end of the pitman arm where the steering link connects. Is this true and it so where can I find the part number? The steering linkage is all stock S-10

Thanks
Rick

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 06:01 AM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

Based on what I've read over the years, I believe older GM pumps all run at similar pressures. The new Type 2 pumps do run at higher pressures, and there are pressure reducers and mounting brackets available. The biggest problems I've read about is when you mix Ford components and GM components, since pressures are much different.

Pitman arms are usually just one heavy duty piece of steel. My K25 has what is called an inner tie rod, which has an adjusting sleeve that allows you to center the steering wheel, and of course the outer tie rods adjust to set toe in.

Bruce
Old 02-08-2019, 09:27 AM

I believe if your new P/S pitman arm is longer or shorter, you will also need to change the idler arm to a P/S one also.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:00 PM
Capt Mike

If you are concerned that your steering system has to much pressure you can purchase a low cost replacement pressure valve from TURN ONE. They are the experts. I had to install this valve when I installed the LS1 & 6 speed in my '56 Chevy, which had Rack & Pinion steering. And She steered way to quickly !!

Read there Tech page and give them a call.

https://www.turnone-steering.com/blogs/tech-101

GM pump pressure and Flow rates are all over the chart !!

RE the Pitman Arm, you should try to keep the same OEM Height & Location where the drag link connects. Else you will have a Bump Steer problem and possible Ackerman change in Toe in when the wheels are turned in a corner as example.

Check the S-10 Forum for tech assistance..

The latter any line-up shop usually test during an alignment. They turn the wheels fully side to side and check the TOE changes.

Good Luck ..
Old 02-09-2019, 01:42 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Wiki Edits: 16

GM often used pressures in the 2300-2700psi for recirc-ball boxes and 1500-1800psi for rack and pinion. There was plenty of pump crossover, so you should be able to find the pressure regulator for the correct application and just screw it into the pump.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: GTO Reproduction Hood

Pumps are set between 850 psi and 1500. Hydra boost additions take the higher.

Change the shims in the valve to adjust
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old_and_new_valves.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	440377  
joe_padavano (02-21-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:51 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50ChevyTruck View Post
I have a LT1 from a 93 Corvette installed in a 50 Chevy Truck. All of that sits on a S-10 chassis.

The power steering pump is from the 93 Vette but I changed out the S-10 non power steering box to a GM quick steer power steering box . I started thinking about pump pressures and was wondering if this pump will work with the steering box. Do the GM pumps all run at the same pressures ?

While we are discussing steering I have another question. When I installed the power steering box, I had to change out the pitman arm. I have read some post that people mention a sleeve that should be installed at the lower end of the pitman arm where the steering link connects. Is this true and it so where can I find the part number? The steering linkage is all stock S-10

Thanks
Rick
Why did you have to change the Pitman arm?
Old 02-10-2019, 02:30 PM
Capt Mike

Read there Tech page and give them a call.

https://www.turnone-steering.com/blogs/tech-101
Old 02-21-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1 View Post
Why did you have to change the Pitman arm?
The S10 did not have power steering. So I removed the steering gear box and installed a "quick steer" GM box . It did not come with a pitman arm. I could not use the pitman arm from the S-10 because it was a different diameter than the output shaft on the new gear box.

Thanks to everyone for the good info. I will check out the site posted.

Rick
Old 02-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
I believe if your new P/S pitman arm is longer or shorter, you will also need to change the idler arm to a P/S one also.
S-10s use the same length pitman and idler arms for both power and manual steering. The pitman needed to be changed because the output shaft on the power box has larger diameter splines than does the output shaft on the manual box. The only differences in idler and pitman arm length is 2WD vs 4WD.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:11 AM

Regarding the pressures, I will say that you will be fine (minor guessing). I'm basing this on some personal info - I've been using type 2 pumps with gears designed for type 1 pumps for quite a while without issue , mostly. Paying attention to p/s pump speed and keeping it in the factory range via pulley size is miportant though. A large Gen1 crank pulley with a smaller than stock power steering pump pulley on a type 2 pump can create issue if you intend alot of time with the motor over 5000 rpm's.

Keep track of return line restrictions as well. I started a thread a while back due to a binding/sticking issue that was the result of a new reservoir I installed with too small of a return port.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in