Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - GM Wiper Circuit
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Cubic Inches is King

Last journal entry: High Resolution Drawings
Wiki Edits: 0

GM Wiper Circuit

Elder Rodder,

Your switch seems to be wired almost like the ones I have tested and also like Pete's. Almost won't work right though. We'll coordinate here and I'll draw a revised diagram that is just right.

I have some questions to make sure I get this right, so let's dive in and get me a detail or two.

Are you running the tests using a Volt Ohm Meter set to the R1 or maybe a continuity setting? (that is what it reads like, and that is the correct setting). Any other setting could make the results skewed.

When you test with the Ohmmeter you are testing for continuity. I believe you are testing the colored wires on one test lead, and the other lead is always connected to the black wire. That is the correct test to perform, and I think that is what you did, I'm just making sure.

If the above statements are true, then your Gray wire is a little different - it is connected to the Black wire during park and low speed. In the design that Pete set forth, he does not say the Gray wire is connected to the Black wire when the switch is rotated to OFF. I drew the diagram based on the idea that Gray wire is disconnected during OFF.

Your Violet wire is OK if you are checking it with one Ohmmeter lead to the Violet wire and the other lead to the Black wire. That is just like Pete's.

You will not use the green wire, so it does not matter.

As I recall Newport is very clear which wire is which. I need to know how your Newport motor is supposed to be wired - what the various wires are, and the colors if you can tell me, and I'll draw it up exactly. I think your motor uses 5 wires: Hi, Lo, Park, Hot, and Ground. If it is any different let me know, and I will work it out, they use the best motors I have seen.

If you want to use an electric windshield washer pump, I can add that on to the shop wiring schematic diagram. That uses one more relay and another fuse.

Jon P