Good Recommendation on a Car Jack? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Boost Retard

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdobbs77 View Post
I've got nothing against them on most things but we did buy a jack from them a few years ago and after a few times of use, the hydraulics would not work. So I'd shop at Harbor Freight on some things but never again on jacks. Maybe we were just unlucky and bought a lemon that time..
Did you take it back? I've had great luck with returns with them and have never had to return anything 2x. Honestly, if you pick the good stuff (they do have some junk) their quality is as good as what you'd get from anyplace else (the majority of what you buy at ANY store now is made in China, and in a lot of case it's the same stuff with different labels on it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip-tide View Post
What I dislike the most of the jacks produced today are the saddles.

Greg
Yea, what's up with that? Nothing has the standard size pad with a standard size post anymore? That's probably one of the bigger reasons I keep the sears one around. I can make a custom saddle that just drops into the post hole to hold something really well (I've done this for oddball large transmissions and stuff), standard poly/no scuff covers fit it...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

Shopping floor jack now, it has come down to one of two choices.

1st and has the right saddle 6.5'' and 3 ton
HeinWerner HW93652 3 Ton

2nd goofy 4.5" saddle & 100 bucks cheaper is NAPA 3.5 ton
You may wonder why this one is considered. I'm told its DNA is Walker, of course that's NAPA saying it. Was unable to verify the statement.

HW has the design advantage, larger frame just stouter looking over all. Leaning in this direction.

Recently jacking my truck and the jack I have having the hockey puck saddle. Slipped rearward and got hung between the sway bar and rear cover.

Not having that again

So basically I am interested hearing any comments regarding the HeinWerner product, from users please.

Did my home work, but there in only so much one can learn from the advertisers.

Lets hear it
Greg
Old 05-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,971 Posts
It sure doesn't look like it's worth 1300 bucks.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

IIRC Hein Werner bought out Lincoln and Walker jacks, creating the Hein Werner sold today, some jacks being based on the old designs ( that go back decades ).. So they would be about the very best available, but the question is do you need the very best, and I doubt anyone really does. Jackstands hold the weight. don't cheap out on those
Old 05-27-2017, 07:18 PM

Jacks originally made by Walker were later made by Lincoln and now by Hein Warner. Made in the US all along. The current H-W jacks are made in the US by a Chinese company by the name of Shinn Fu or something similar to that. I've got a Walker 1.5 ton from the 70's, which is the same jack as the current 2 ton H-W 93642. Walker's model number for that jack 40 yrs ago is the same as the H-W model number today, and it has used the same seal kit (about $45 on Amazon) from first production to the current day.

IMO the NAPA 3.5 ton is pure Chinese right down to the little round saddle. The only "Walker DNA" in that jack is the yellow and blue paint job.

Like Silverback, I bought one of the HF 1.5 ton race jacks a while back. Fifty-some bucks well spent IMO for the convenience of not having to drag out the 100# plus Walker to lift one corner of a car or pickup that's parked a hundred feet away from the garage.

Added... The H-W jack available today is a much better jack than the original 1.5 ton H-W's made years ago. Those were a little smaller physically than the Walker, and a little cheaper too. They were sorta the standard jack in thousands of gas stations back in the day. The problem with the old H-W's is the riveted attachment of the strut that makes the saddle lift level where it attaches to the frame. With use, the rivet head wears and because its thin it can pop off, letting the strut come loose. Its not difficult to fix using a low head grade 8 bolt and locknut, but it can create a dangerous situation if it happens while the jack is loaded. We've got a couple of them at the shop and I've had to make this repair on both even though neither one of them has had near as much use as a 1.5 ton Walker that also lives at the shop. Just thought this was worth mentioning in case anyone has one or looks at buying a used one.

Last edited by TubeTek; 05-27-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:39 AM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

TubeTek

"Chinese company by the name of Shinn Fu or something similar to that."

This I also have found. ^

However FWIW I am not sure it is china, could be jap. Reading manufacturer comparisons the jap manufacturers have a much better history of lifting the advertised weight than the china product.

What I'm driving at is this, there is a major difference in machines produced by taiwan as compared to china, think lathe here. Fit finish and accuracy.

Good tip on the rivet

123pugsey

"It sure doesn't look like it's worth 1300 bucks."

And it's not, even the Milwaukee T40 does not hit that mark, best of brand as I read/see.

Adjust your search engine, google sucks, That's 3 times the price I'm seeing LOL

matt167

"the question is do you need the very best, and I doubt anyone really does."

That becomes a personal preference. I'm not after the very best, if that were true I'd get the Milwaukee T40.

I do want reliability and consistent function, that takes a little extra, would you not agree?

" Jackstands hold the weight."

True, getting things in the air is before the jack stand. I raise the whole truck off the ground to rotate the tires, every oil change. I use both at the heavy end.

Great answers from all thanks for the feed back

Greg
Old 05-28-2017, 07:16 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip-tide View Post

123pugsey

"It sure doesn't look like it's worth 1300 bucks."

And it's not, even the Milwaukee T40 does not hit that mark, best of brand as I read/see.

Adjust your search engine, google sucks, That's 3 times the price I'm seeing LOL

Greg

Oh yeah, I forgot to change the .ca to .com

Less than half the price for you guys. I should be used to bending over by now.....

It does look like a nicer jack than the others I've seen.
I'm running a Chinese 3 tonner and it works OK and doesn't leak. Only problem is the handle sticks when closed and if you crack it to open, it comes down quick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCREWED IN CANADA ...AGAIN.jpg
Views:	1772
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	360017  
Old 06-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Picked up the jack Friday, put it too work this weekend. I can say that this is the right tool for the job. Lifted the truck, felt solid, sturdy using it.

How do I write that, under load right off noticed the jack rolling to the truck easily, the casters and wheels are bigger. Other jack struggled at that, and was part of the cause for the jack coming off the rear and jamming the hockey puck in behind the gear cover and sway bar.

I did have a learning curve using it the first couple of times. Found that I was having trouble controlling the lowering speed, float it down it wanted to dead drop.

Figured out that this jack requires, a lighter touch closing the valve. Maybe when under pressure it take a more positive seat.

Using it as I do the others, the same torque used closing the valve required the same to open.. Not with this, I did that at first, one hand tighten nothing extreme.

Using the same, it took both hands to back off, crack it open to lower. Of course you can conclude it set the lowering speed to fast, caught it ok. But not satisfied, with the lack of control.

Found it takes just enough pressure on the seat to raise the saddle, coming down it can be floated or eased to the ground or stands.

Can recommend this jack, I'll continue to use the the others for the HotRods , there fine for that. I have read there are saddles that can be had to replace the hockey puck.

Greg

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in