Good Recommendation on a Car Jack? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2017, 07:58 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Wiki Edits: 0

Good Recommendation on a Car Jack?

My Dad and I use an old Walker jack that he's had since the early 60s. So many months ago the jack went out on us and we spent about $150 in parts to try and fix it ourselves. We succeeded but it now it has a slow leak on fluid but is doing what its supposed to again. I'd like to look into buying a second car jack for us. What are some good solid built jacks out there? Not interested in what Harbor Freight would have . Thanks,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017, 10:49 AM

Even the high dollar one is made in CHINA, so why does that make it so much better than what you get at HF?
Old 05-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,756 Times in 2,066 Posts
Recommend a minimum 3 ton jack. Robert, I understand that you may be a little doubtful about Harbor Freight, but I have found some excellent tools there. They may not be production quality, but for a home hobbyist, they'll work just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
rdobbs77 (05-23-2017)

Old 05-23-2017, 11:15 AM

I bought a quick jack set up a few years ago and wish I'd bought it sooner. Raises the whole car up by the frame about 24", it's portable and sets up in minutes. You can take wheels off and go down the center unobstructed. In most garages it won't raise your car high enough to hit ceiling. And, it's electric/hydraulic, push a button up or down. A little pricy, but I love it!

https://www.quickjack.com
Old 05-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

What I dislike the most of the jacks produced today are the saddles.

Greg
Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntfday View Post
Even the high dollar one is made in CHINA, so why does that make it so much better than what you get at HF?
I've got nothing against them on most things but we did buy a jack from them a few years ago and after a few times of use, the hydraulics would not work. So I'd shop at Harbor Freight on some things but never again on jacks. Maybe we were just unlucky and bought a lemon that time..
Old 05-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 sedan View Post
I bought a quick jack set up a few years ago and wish I'd bought it sooner. Raises the whole car up by the frame about 24", it's portable and sets up in minutes. You can take wheels off and go down the center unobstructed. In most garages it won't raise your car high enough to hit ceiling. And, it's electric/hydraulic, push a button up or down. A little pricy, but I love it!

https://www.quickjack.com
So could a guy remove/install a tranny with that jack? I could not tell from the pic the position of the hyd pump.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 PM

I wouldn't use it that way, but you could talk to their techs about it.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdobbs77 View Post
I've got nothing against them on most things but we did buy a jack from them a few years ago and after a few times of use, the hydraulics would not work. So I'd shop at Harbor Freight on some things but never again on jacks. Maybe we were just unlucky and bought a lemon that time..

That reply was directed at evolvo as I would be hard pressed to spend that kind of money on something like that made in china. If your jack was under warranty was it fixed or replaced?
Old 05-23-2017, 10:41 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

I have a big red at the house and although I don't use it like the shop ones I can say it moves a lot faster. A buddy of mine has the HF low profile jack at work and it seems to work ok. Has a great feel to it.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:39 AM
fat tire

I have one that my dad bought from sears over 40 years ago and still works flawless
I also bought a low profile from HF 6 years ago and it gets used 2-3 times a week . no problem so far
Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.

I've had horrible luck with aluminum jacks. Bought a HF 2T a few years ago and took it straight back after it wouldn't lift the front of my 2WD Dakota. Then bought a Sears 2T which worked for a year or so before the let-down valve went out causing "crash-downs" from 2 feet up with ensuing damage. I now have a steel 3T NAPA (Walker?) which has been flawless and is rebuildable should the need ever arise...

Russ
The Following User Says Thank You to S10xGN For This Useful Post:
Joe G (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:34 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

you definitely don't want to be pushing over the rear end of a car with an aluminum jack under the rear axle. Your wheel might come flying off. I've done it many times with my big red. I'd say the mark of quality is the hydraulic seals. Does it pump fast? Does it keep it's height with weight on it?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

Walker jacks are among the best and Napa can get them, but really Harbor Freight is not bad. I've had one of their old standard 3T jacks since 2010ish. It just works and keeps going
Old 05-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Boost Retard

I used a sears shop jack (used to sell them in a package with 2 jack stands, believe it or not mine is from '98) for everything. It was good/reliable but old/big and the release was scary (you turn the handle and all of a sudden the car would just drop, it was very hard to bring it down under control).

I ended up finding that the Arcan XL35 was being sold at costco for right around $100 (Really really cheap for the quality). It's actually larger than my old shop jack which I still have but sits lower, has the quick pump under no load, lifts higher and has is sturdier than the craftsman. I have no issues using it with my big cummins ram or my lowered Trans Am. I really love this jack. In the meantime, I haven't been able to get a car in the garage so it's seen a lot of driveway duty and when it turns into a project I'm ashamed to admit it sits out there, in the sun/rain... the casters have some surface rust on them where the pavement has worn off the paint, the paint has faded (they're red from costco, black from everywhere else, MUCH cheaper at Costco), but even the foam padding on the handle hasn't been affected by the sun and it works great still. Honestly, it's out in the driveway under the TA right now in the rain :-/

The one thing that I don't like about it is that it's HEAVY, add a hill in the driveway, obstacles... a lot of the time I just don't want to move it. Recently the HFT aluminum race jack was on sale for $54 and I got one and I hate to say it but I love it. It's light enough that I can literally pick it up by the handle, small enough that I wouldn't hesitate to throw it in the car, has a good lifting range (nothing like the XL35 but they are completely different classes of jack). It will lift the cummins but there are few good jack points it will reach (it sits on 36's). This has become my go to jack for "it's out in the driveway or street and I just need to get it off the ground quickly/rotate the tires/check the brakes..."

The Arcan gets pulled out if it's going to be sitting on it for a bit, heavier work, if I might try to do something like lift one end of the car and try to roll it... The Sears sits in the garage in case I need a second big jack or a friend wants to borrow a shop jack.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in