Goodwrench 350 cam,head,cr whats best? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2015, 04:13 PM
1970 c10 custom fleet-side

Wiki Edits: 0

Goodwrench 350 cam,head,cr whats best?

Hi everybody, colten here, im sure this has been asked many times and if i searched hard enough into the archive i would find my answer. Unfortunately my brains about fried from reading threads for 3 days trying to find an answer so here it is.
I have a Good-wrench 350 crate in my 1970 c10 custom cab fleet side pickup with a 3spd manual that will be getting bumped up to a 5 or 6 depending on time and budget, the specs on the motor are as follows

Detailed Description
10067353 Brand New Goodwrench 350 Engine 1971-1985 Car and light Truck Replacement Engine.
This engine remains our most popular largest selling crate engine of all times.
This is a great entry level replacement engine for older cars and trucks, and a great basic street rod engine. All of the parts in this engine are Brand New.

350 Cubic inches 4.00" Bore, 3.47" stroke
8.5:1 compression ratio.
250 HP @4300 rpm
350 ft. lbs of torque @ 3600 rpm
( These Numbers obtained with a Quadrajet Carb,1 5/8" headers , and an Edelbrock Performer intake part # 2101)

Engine consists of the following parts:
Block -part # 10066034, casting # 10066036
2 piece rear main seal 4 bolt main
Crankshaft- part # 3932444
Nodular Iron 1985 and older flywheel bolt pattern.
Powdered Metal Connecting rods- Part # 10108688
Cast Aluminum Pistons- part#12514101
G.M. High Volume Pump Oil Pump- part # 12555284
Hydralic Flat tappet Camshaft-
Intake Lift-.383" Exhaust Lift-.401"
Intake Duration @ .050"- 194 Exhaust Duration @.050"- 202
Lobe Seperation-112
This cam Has a mechanical Fuel Pump Lobe.
This is a low end Torque oriented camshaft.

Cylinder Heads- part # 14034808, casting #33417369, 1.94" Intake valve, 1.50" Exhaust Valve, 76cc Combustion Chamber, 7 Bolt style Exhaust Flange Standard, 85' and prior intake manifold bolt pattern. Perimeter bolt style Valve Covers. This head is very similar to the old #882 castings from the 1970's

Now i do have a edelbrock performer rpm air intake, holley 650 double pump carb, and a set of headers with magnaflo dumps on this motor right now
My question is what would be the best combo for this motor for heads and cam? budgets not huge but thats what you save your money for, i would like to have the thumpity thump thump sound. for the simple reason nothing sounds nicer to me than a hopped up old pickup or vintage muscle, but im a little lost on what to do for cam sizes and such, same with the heads, i would also like to bring the compression of the motor up to 9:1 or a little better verse the 8:1, it says 8.5:1 but super chevy i believe did a test on this same motor and revealed it to be more around 7.9:1, i know comp cams makes a cam called the thumper its made to give you that cammed out sound but dont know anything about them, im a newbie to the interiors of motors but only one way to learn!

Thank you all for your time and i look forward to your answers!
Colten

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 03:20 AM
Resident Racer

Biggest question is what would you like out of the motor? Do you want to just use it as a weekend cruiser with pedal to the metal action between stoplights, or will it just be a pure work truck that sounds like it's got a big cam under the hood?

To bring up the compression, you're going to want to change the heads and get flat top pistons. Changing heads to aftermarket aluminium ones would give you the best results but if you're going to change the pistons as well, you may as well just build your own 350 to your own specs.

I'm sure you can find a 350 from craigslist, pull it apart, have a machine shop do all the cleaning and clearances then order your parts from Summit or Jegs. Plenty of the more knowledgable members here who'd happily give you advice to build your own motor the right way.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Wrench Turner

Choosing a better head is #1 on your to do list.You have lots of choices.From budget aluminum heads, GM Vortecs, or 1 of their clones.If your budget allows, a set of Profilers would be my choice for approx $1100.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:27 AM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

I will assume the bottom end of this engine is still in good shape and will hold up to the other mods.

The standard answer is that with something like a dual pattern RV cam of about 204/214 @ .050 (or even up into the 218 or 222 @ .050 range), a good dual plane intake and carburetor, and headers you can get this engine up to the 300 HP range with a little head work and tuning. You might be able to get a little more if you go to stronger cam, but the heads and compression ratio of this engine are a significant limitation. At higher horsepower you may also move the power band and lose the low-end grunt you need to move your heavy truck.

The next step up, which has a lot more potential, is to swap to a good set of aluminum or iron heads (Vortec, e-Tec, etc.) and bump up the compression ratio to about 9.5. This might require a piston swap, but with careful head selection you may be able to get that ratio with the current pistons. It would also be the time to install a roller cam conversion so that you have the option for more aggressive cam profiles and don't have to worry about failure of the flat tappets.

With those upgrades as a base, you then have to decide how much money you have, how high you want to go for power, and where you want to feel the power (high end peak, low end grunt, etc.). Since you plan to swap to a six speed you can probably use low rear-end gears to make up for any low end power loss if you go for high horsepower at the upper range.

Bruce
Old 09-28-2015, 08:58 AM

Thanked 1,197 Times in 949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c10custom View Post
Hi everybody, colten here, im sure this has been asked many times and if i searched hard enough into the archive i would find my answer. Unfortunately my brains about fried from reading threads for 3 days trying to find an answer so here it is.
I have a Good-wrench 350 crate in my 1970 c10 custom cab fleet side pickup with a 3spd manual that will be getting bumped up to a 5 or 6 depending on time and budget, the specs on the motor are as follows

Detailed Description
10067353 Brand New Goodwrench 350 Engine 1971-1985 Car and light Truck Replacement Engine.
This engine remains our most popular largest selling crate engine of all times.
This is a great entry level replacement engine for older cars and trucks, and a great basic street rod engine. All of the parts in this engine are Brand New.

350 Cubic inches 4.00" Bore, 3.47" stroke
8.5:1 compression ratio.
250 HP @4300 rpm
350 ft. lbs of torque @ 3600 rpm
( These Numbers obtained with a Quadrajet Carb,1 5/8" headers , and an Edelbrock Performer intake part # 2101)

Engine consists of the following parts:
Block -part # 10066034, casting # 10066036
2 piece rear main seal 4 bolt main
Crankshaft- part # 3932444
Nodular Iron 1985 and older flywheel bolt pattern.
Powdered Metal Connecting rods- Part # 10108688
Cast Aluminum Pistons- part#12514101
G.M. High Volume Pump Oil Pump- part # 12555284
Hydralic Flat tappet Camshaft-
Intake Lift-.383" Exhaust Lift-.401"
Intake Duration @ .050"- 194 Exhaust Duration @.050"- 202
Lobe Seperation-112
This cam Has a mechanical Fuel Pump Lobe.
This is a low end Torque oriented camshaft.

Cylinder Heads- part # 14034808, casting #33417369, 1.94" Intake valve, 1.50" Exhaust Valve, 76cc Combustion Chamber, 7 Bolt style Exhaust Flange Standard, 85' and prior intake manifold bolt pattern. Perimeter bolt style Valve Covers. This head is very similar to the old #882 castings from the 1970's

Now i do have a edelbrock performer rpm air intake, holley 650 double pump carb, and a set of headers with magnaflo dumps on this motor right now
My question is what would be the best combo for this motor for heads and cam? budgets not huge but thats what you save your money for, i would like to have the thumpity thump thump sound. for the simple reason nothing sounds nicer to me than a hopped up old pickup or vintage muscle, but im a little lost on what to do for cam sizes and such, same with the heads, i would also like to bring the compression of the motor up to 9:1 or a little better verse the 8:1, it says 8.5:1 but super chevy i believe did a test on this same motor and revealed it to be more around 7.9:1, i know comp cams makes a cam called the thumper its made to give you that cammed out sound but dont know anything about them, im a newbie to the interiors of motors but only one way to learn!

Thank you all for your time and i look forward to your answers!
Colten
A set of L31 Vortec heads and a Comp XE262H or 268H cam.

The factory Vortec heads won't bolt to your intake to do that you need to go to the aftermarket. Speedway Motors has a nice set of aluminum heads called FloTecs the 64 cc chamber will bring up the compression that is especially needed with a larger cam. I recommend these over the Procomps or Assaults for budget heads as the latter two heads don't really get into big flows till you're looking at valve lifts at and over .5 inch, but they are sufficiently respectable at the lower lifts so if a deal comes along go for it.

The budget heads tend to be weak in the valve springs, I'd buy the heads bare use a budget valves from Competition Products combined with GM beehive springs and retainers. The Comp XE262H or 268h will run with these.

The XE262 is more street friendly and runs with a stock converter, the XE268H is a rougher idle, lower vacuum cam that is the top end of a stock converter or even a little beyond.

Use a GM head gasket 10105117 for 4 inch bore motors including overbores this is a composition core with stainless and graphite faces. It is .028 inch thick compressed suitable for aluminum heads on iron blocks. The thinish thickness keeps preserves the compression ratio of the 64cc chambers while holding the Squish/Quench clearance to .053 inch with a nominal piston to deck clearance of .025 which while not ideal is reasonable especially with aluminum heads.

This will easily build a 360-380 horse engine with a fat and flat torque curve and wide top end horsepower curve that comes up early and stays there.

Bogie
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (09-28-2015), jokerZ71 (09-28-2015), steeny (09-28-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 12:51 PM
1970 c10 custom fleet-side

hey thanks guys! all this info is great! the pickup will be mainly a stop light to stop light and highway/interstate driver (want the 5-6 gears for the higher speed driving) the most it will ever haul is around 500-700 lbs. on very rare occasion so hauling is not a big concern.

bogie, thank you so much for the parts numbers and everything that helps so much and answered my question perfectly, i will look into the aluminum heads with that size combustion chamber and build it from there and go with one of the cams that you had suggested. do you suggest posting the results on this thread or make a new one?

as far as building my own engine block-up i am very interested in doing so, but it will be once this pickup is finished as it is my regular driver not everyday but several times a week, so this upcoming summer i will then have enough to tear apart a old 350 we have here at the farm an go from there.

Once again thank you all for your help!! i would be pulling my hair out trying to learn this all on my own through reading forums and trial and errors! i look forward to letting you all know how things go and will make sure to post pictures and possibly videos of the process!
God bless, Colten
The Following User Says Thank You to 70c10custom For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (09-29-2015)

Tags
350, build, camshaft, goodwrench, heads

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in