Gravity bleeding brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2018, 04:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Gravity bleeding brakes

Instead of bench bleeding the master cylinder can it be installed on the car and the whole system be gravity bleed at the same time ???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 07:16 PM

Not a good idea IMHO.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

The problem is that when installed the M/C can have air pockets above the level of the outlet ports.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:23 PM
True Hotrodder

No. Bench bleed the master always. And while I know it works, I have never, ever had any luck with gravity bleeding. Not sure why but just can't get it right myself. Good luck to you.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:29 PM

Brake bleed

Trouble with gravity bleed is that not all of the brake system is downhill from the M/C.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:06 AM

I Installed those automatic type bleeders. Haven't got the name right handy..You buy in a bubble pack.You just crack the line~ once its full of fluid ..These bleeders to the rest.Speed bleeders if you need a name i can go get it for you.They can be purchased in most Auto supply houses. RUSSELL!!- Is the name of them.Got them on 3 of my hotrods and Kustoms. good luck they do work and are a one man operation bob s

PS;

tried gravity feed once .More trouble than its worth.Unless your doing front brakes today and back brakes the next day hth
Old 11-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Well I bench bleed the master cylinder and tried to gravity bleed but was dripping real slow so I called my wife out to the garage and we spent some quality time together bleeding brakes.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:58 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

I have let some brakes gravity bleed before, but only when replacing a wheel cylinder or caliper. Never the master. Worked great when I was by myself and had other things to do in the shop. I just kept an eye on the reservoir and let it flush through. Can't be in a hurry, though.
Dave
Old 11-02-2018, 08:55 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,050 Times in 2,986 Posts
Some disc/drum vehicles are equipped with inconspicuously placed valves that must be blocked open during bleeding or you get no results. Some vehicles need to have the rear raised to bleed. Theres no substitute for bench bleeding in my opinion but if you were able to level the master with it installed there might be hope. Wife time sounds like the most fun out of all those though!
Old 11-06-2018, 07:28 AM

I've heard of gravity bleeding, never trusted the concept enough to try it. If I can't bleed brakes in 5 minutes, something is amiss. When I worked in shops I had pressure bleeders that worked great, recently borrowed a vacuum bleeder and that was a little more work to do alone. I still go back to the 2-person method of bleeding brakes.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:00 AM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

Gravity bleed works just fine, a bit of patience goes a long why if the system is dry. Like it's a no brainier, have a clear tube and watch the bubbles leave. The BF comes out solid behind them.

As to a MC bleed in the car. Lets apply some common sense to the air in a pocket problem.

Bench bleed, temporary brake line ports are routed so that they dump the BF into the reservoir. As the MC is cycled fully in and out, until clean fluid is seen.

No applying common sense, I ask. What is the difference of fitting the same temporary brake line configuration too the MC in the vehicle ?

The purpose of the temporary brake line configuration is to allow the user, mech to get the air out of the MC without dumping BF all over the firewall/ floor whatever.

Once the air is bleed from the MC, put the cover on the MC. Remove the temporary brake line configuration.

The brake fluid will not leak from the MC as long as the cover in on. Attach the vehicle break lines.

Start the normal bleed form the PS rear wheel. Open the bleeder, go up front remove the cover, the gravity bleed begins. Maintain the fluid level and, eyeball the bubbles at the rear.

Once the longest line has been bled, close it. The shorter run, DS rear, will quickly purge the air when it's opened.

And of course the front brakes will go even faster, shorter lines, less fluid volume

Note do not place the cover on the MC when gravity bleeding.

Pep

To qualify all bets are off, with the ainti-lock systems. I see power bleeding as the correct method there. Not done one just speculating.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:24 PM

If you are on the clock doing brakes every day, you quickly find the fastest way to bleed brakes. One shop, we had an Ammco pressure bleeder, worked great. If we had multiple brake jobs going and it was tied up, we'd go the 2-man method.

Same goes for bench bleeding. Master in a bench vise, fill it up. Place 2 fingers over the ports, work the pedal rod (screwdriver...) until there are no more bubbles coming to the surface.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
What is the difference of fitting the same temporary brake line configuration too the MC in the vehicle ?
If the master cylinder is level, or pointing down in the front, there is no difference. If it points up in the front, you will never get all the air out, as the compensation port are at the back of the chambers.
The Following User Says Thank You to enjenjo For This Useful Post:
Bob37pont (11-10-2018)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in