Half Decent Paint Brands - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2020, 04:22 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,713 Posts
Half Decent Paint Brands

Looking for a half decent solid polyurethane single stage. Half decent meaning not break the bank but still a nice hard paint with good shine. The daughter wants a colour change (red) on CURSE, (my 69 El Camino).

I will frame off the car and do some mods in about 7 years time, so basically temporary so she can enjoy going to cruise (parking) nights more. I only have a couple years before she won't want to hang out with me so I want to do a quickie paint job this winter.

I found hood stripes in vinyl. How difficult is it to spray stripes?
Maybe vinyl is good to see how long I can stand the stripes before peeling them off?

https://www.phoenixgraphix.com/gm/6869ecssv.php

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6869ecssv.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	457743  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 09:42 AM
Slow but willing learner

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 9,045 Times in 4,444 Posts
I have used the Wanda brand a couple of times and been very pleased with it. Good price and excellent coverage.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 10:45 AM
Grand Prix user

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 7,284 Times in 4,084 Posts
I vote decals for neatness on single stage paint.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-01-2020)

Old 08-01-2020, 11:00 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
I vote decals for neatness on single stage paint.

Ya, easier than painting them. Painting in a garage will be hard enough.
Toss out the paint brand your shop likes to use.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:10 PM
Grand Prix user

I don't see why SPI wouldn't work if you just want red. Last time I thought I knew, they had two.

I don't see why acrylic urethane wouldn't work, rather than poly. For what you are doing, acrylic enamel with hardener would, too. Could sand off easier later.

I could not say where the coverage win is, on red single stage. Watch out for coverage to bite, bite. On red or white. Asking around or buy and try is how you fly. Jambing would be where to try brands out.

You could paint the hood and header white first, mask stripes, shoot red, peel... then come back with one coat of clear on those two panels within the recoat window no sanding, then let dry, sand ridges down, clear once more. That would be the good smooth, neat look and last best.

Shop uses PPG products mainly. Single stage is not commonly used on exteriors there. Satin black, etc. yes. We get that from a local wholesaler who makes their own enamel which works good for us.

Grape is mostly Lesonal. Clear and epoxy. Sikkens base and primer. Those (last I knew), along with Wanda, were part of the Akzo Nobel family.

You don't sound like any of that, but kiddo picked the traditionally highest priced color family in auto paint. You could probably just text Barry - need red epoxy + SS paint, whole 69 Camino no bed. All sprayables, cleaner please- and be done cheap as any. Could be brainwash but is popular opinion. Here and there anyway. No dispute from me about spi.

Which is the money win, paint or stripe kit, I don't know but decals won't bleed and will cover. Your comfort level with big stickers vs paint gun is a big part of that. I think I may have mentioned earlier... sign vinyl. Same material as pinstripe tape. So if you went online or to the right sign shop, buying a foot wide roll or whatever and then also a roll of tape same color to trim the big stripes with littles... might be a possible thing.

I don't know how cost-prohibitive the decal and / or stencil kits are but the bulk materials would perhaps be max frugal. Place I worked at used TFX brand and they would sell yardage of vinyl if they could spare the color.
123pugsy (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 04:29 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Thanks. I won't be using any PPG. They think their products are squeezed out of gold bars.

How does a stencil kit work? Shoot the white, apply stencils, shoot the color and peel off?

The vinyl stickers could fall into budget though, so probably the easiest way to go.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I have used the Wanda brand a couple of times and been very pleased with it. Good price and excellent coverage.

John

Thanks.

How about the SPI red on your car? Base/clear? What do you think of the cost? I'm not looking for bottom of barrel, just not PPG style numbers.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:06 PM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Thanks. I won't be using any PPG. They think their products are squeezed out of gold bars.

How does a stencil kit work? Shoot the white, apply stencils, shoot the color and peel off?

The vinyl stickers could fall into budget though, so probably the easiest way to go.

Bash away. Hobby paint doesn't match any color, satisfaction guaranteed no matter how new. I have heard things that were not bad, about some paint kits Summit sells for reasonable.

The red could even be a wrap. Red paint is a coverage crap shoot. SPI's doesn't seem to have "poor hiding, extra coats required" issues that I recall hearing.

Stencil kits normally just get used as a pattern. Not as masking, can't be trusted. Often too old in box.
123pugsy (08-01-2020)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in