Hand controls for 65 Chevelle- Manual Trans - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2019, 03:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hand controls for 65 Chevelle- Manual Trans

Hey there, I recently purchased a 65 chevelle with a 327 and a 4 speed muncie.

I can't use my feet so I am looking to find a solution that will help me keep this manual transmission. I thought I would be able to find someone who has done it so I could replicate a solution. Instead I have not found anyone who can help me keep this car original. I have a few other cars that I have modified to auto trans but this one just wouldn't be right to take out the original transmission after 54 years and put an auto in it.

Please help... Looking for anyone who has done this or could be a good resource.

I have been looking for weeks and running out of hope.

Thanks in advance for your help

Chad

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 09:25 PM

You could use a liner actuator with a switch located on the shifter to control it.

The shifter would look like a eaton fuller air shifter setup. But instead of using a ram your using a sliding switch which moves in sync with the auctatior.

This way you could shift similar to a foot style clutch by using your fingers to lift up on the sliding switch releasing the clutch then shift holding the shifter before letting the clutch engauge by slowly allowing the slider to be pulled down via a spring. Using a spring you can adjust tension to where you like it.

The throttle side of things is going to need to be controlled by your other hand on the wheel. Something along the lines of using radio controls and your thumb during shifting(don't see that much need) then just using your right hand when not shifting.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:43 AM
Curmudgeon at Large

I have a friend who modified his hand shift harley by mounting a handlebar clutch lever on the shift rod. This eliminated the foot clutch.
There are hydraulic clutch & brake handlebar mount master cylinders available, perhaps you could use a slave cylinder on the bell housing and a lever operated master cylinder on your shifter.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctesmer75 View Post
I have not found anyone who can help me keep this car original.
Type manual transmission hand controls into Google. You'll find companies and college engineering departments that have done this. In all cases, the mods are pretty invasive to the car - you have to control five functions with two hands. I'm not sure what your definition of "keep it original" is.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:07 AM

I have a neurological disorder called cerebral palsy. Its become increasingly uncomfortable in downtown traffic. My current street rod has a manually shifted automatic anyway.

There is an electrically wired shifter called a "Duck" shifter for handcontrols with stickshifts in Europe. But it wont look factory original
Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: GTO Reproduction Hood

This has me thinking an ABS unit has a hydraulic pump and valves that are electronically controlled

The pump can make ton of pressure using brake fluid , and the dump/isolation valves can trap pressure/release pressure very quickly, actually faster than anyone with a leg can do.

So that being said, using a hydraulic slave and an on/off switch and a basic ABS unit, a few micro switches maybe, an electronic powered clutch system should be do- able.

Use a rear wheel abs setup, power the motor with an on switch, have the isolation side plumbed in to trap pump pressure in at the same time and hook the out put line to the slave. When power is removed the isolation valve will open , dumping the pressure, or you can have a relay to switch the power on and off between the isolation and dump valves.
You could even use 2 dump valves and have one ported down with an orifice to bleed off slower to accommodate takeoff from a stop light, and a second one that becomes active to dump pressure faster for at speed upshifts.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Here is a hydraulic digarm (Kinda poor)

If you eliminate the master cylinder outlets and just use the supply port to the ABS ......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0-Scanned-from-Babcox-Media-300x291.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	446369  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:02 PM

I tried the above with air rams when I was younger. It was a horrible on/off operation. You need a way to slowly engage the clutch, even ride the clutch at times.

He needs, throttle, steering, shifting, clutch engagement, and brakes.

Only having 2 hands we need to group those.
So steering, gas, and brakes. Go on the wheel.
Shifting, and clutch engagement go on the shifter.

The only way I see for controlled movment of the clutch fork is with a electric auctatior.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post

The only way I see for controlled movment of the clutch fork is with a electric auctatior.
Then you have a closed mind or limited mechanical knowledge
Old 08-13-2019, 07:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

4 functions can be had on one hand control stick.

normal standard shifter , fitted with a twist grip throttle ,like a motorcycle,horizontal on top.

Then the shifter neutral gate can be used to apply the brakes by configuring the brake master sideways next to the shifter so pulling the shifter towards the driver applies the brake.

Push button on the side of the twist grip for switch to run the clutch electrical
Now that being said, the shifter would no doubt not appear stock, nor even look like anything seen on a car before , except an experimental mercedes

https://www.google.com/search?q=merc...w=1366&bih=657

Let your mind run wild a little
Rip VW (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:19 PM

So a hand grip shifter/throttle/clutch. Then a second emergency style lever for the brakes?

I thought about a motorcycle style throttle. I just dont see how he would disengage the clutch, and shift without turning the throttle by acident

Could leave the throttle and brakes on the steering wheel using cruise control buttons. Just spring return, auctatior activated by the buttons. Of course have a emergency break.
Then have a simple sliding switch on the shifter with say a 3/1 ratio that he could control via finger.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in