Harbor Freigh HVLP again - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2003, 07:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

guys i have the hvlp & the gravity gun from harbor frt. the $50 specials. one went bad after a year & i got another. i have 1.4m tip in it. i also have 1.3 & 2.2 nozzle sets i bought with them, remember guys you change needle & nozzle together as a matched set. i used them primarily for primer by opening adjuster out to 2-21/2 turns for primer. base coat -clear coats i start at 1 1/2 turn out on volume knob. by this i mean i scratched a mark on knob when it is fully closed light touch here boys as you are screwing needle into cone, can damage either or both if tight. notice the placement of mark on knob, turn it out till mark comes back to the same position, this is 1 full turn. 1 1/2 turn out is starting point i go to paper taped to bottom of exhaust fan to test spray pattern on. i adjust by amount of paint being applied by pattern i have adjusted to. you want to look for wet spot not on the sheets but on the sheet you know what i mean. you have to determine to your own tempo or speed you are making your pass at to get uniform wet coverage without runs. when just learning guys spend some time testing when you think it is right, mark your spot, go back & try it dry with less turn out & try it with1/2 more turned out to see differences. this will help you to see how it flows, how it runs, etc. instead of seeing it on a fender after it is cleared. i usually end up 2 turns out for clear by the last coat as i run a lighter coat on clear first then open it a little to get it wetter to flow more. i lead my head in front of gun arm slightly so i look back to see the formation of pattern of paint as it is being applied to surface. you can do a $5000 paint job with a $50 gun once you know how to use it. be aware you can't find much purple left on my guns from all the use they have gotten. hope it helps you guys & pass it on as i learned from someone too!:jw art evil:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2003, 07:19 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future

wow Jwart you're a wealth of information! I checked out your website and there's some good content.

I'll definitely be revisiting this thread within 6 months if all goes well.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:09 AM

Thanks guys for your info I did run alot The gun works like a charm though. I love it and am glad I got it though. It shines like glass to Just a little wet sanding and ill spray the pearl and metallic flakes. For yalls info the gun I was using is http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7902 it works great for clear Thanks again for your help homies

Old 10-22-2003, 08:41 AM
something droll and pithy

Hey Vince.

I'm reading some books on painting, (I haven't done any automotive painting yet) and they make the isocyanites in the hardener sound positively LETHAL. What sort of protection are you wearing? Do you use a powered air respirator?

What brand of paint are you using?
Old 10-22-2003, 09:08 AM

THey have them little face masks just about every auto parts store or paint store you goto with the filters and everything like that. Iv been using napa paint. Its good stuff. I would also buy a paint suit to so the lint on your clothes dont stick to the wet paint.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:35 AM

Vince

Hey Chris, just be sure the cartridges are rated for organic vapors and are NIOSH certified as such. I wear the Tyvek suit mainly to keep the paint off bare skin, the side benefit is keeping body and clothes lint off the paint job.

I am using PPG paint. I use a 3M dual cartridge respirator with organic vapor cartridges. I only stay in the paint area long enough to lay down another coat, them I'm outta there. Our 34 is going to require more time in the paint area. so I have obtained from work a Scott full face forced air respirator that I will be using to paint the 34.

Vince
Old 10-24-2003, 11:10 PM

Hey guys I was woundering on some of my paint gun tips it has an engraved 1.7 for tip size. On other guns it dont have no number or nothing. How do I find out the tip sizes on these guns?
Old 10-26-2003, 12:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 7314

Here is a related resource from the Body-Exterior:Websites section of our Knowledge Base:

Doctor Gun Paint Gun Message Board

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in