Harbor frieght tools - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,696 Times in 4,306 Posts
There are a number of good buys and good enough tools there, the problem is knowing which one. Air and gas lines, NO, NO, NO!

I learned the hard way there. The big thing I don't like about them is for a newbe, they don't know if they are the ones failing, or the cheap tool.

I compare quality tools with this example. I play guitar, years ago after I had been playing for a while with a cheap guitar I picked up a Fender Strat and couldn't believe how easy it was to play!

Tools are like that, there are a lot of cheapie tools that simply don't allow someone without mad skills to get the job done, at all! Or they don't spot they are junk and think that is how those tools are, which would be wrong.

You can't teach that, there isn't a whole lot you can say to guide someone, the good and the bad are mixed within the whole store. There is some serious junk and some perfectly fine tools.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (12-22-2015), John long (12-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2015, 01:16 PM

HF has a "cart" that has a scissor jack built into it to raise and lower the height of the top. We use it every day for all kinds of stuff in the shop. The composite rachets are pretty good, and if you work outdoors, they are more comfortable in cold weather. Impact sockets and electric grinders are good as well. I bought my dad one of their cast iron 3-ton floor jacks; its flat out awesome for the price. I looked at an aluminum one but the cylinders are not lined and I cant imagine it lasting long.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:36 PM

I buy the on sale $9.99 right angle die grinders. I have a bunch of them set up with carbide bits, sanding discs, Skotch brite discs, grinding wheels and wire brushes. They use a lot of air, but I have not had one fail yet, and I really can't see a difference between them, and the older CPs and Ingersalls I have.

When I was wrenching professionally, I used HF impact sockets, they actually lasted longer than the Snap On sockets, had the same warrantee, and you could buy a whole set for the price of one Snap On.
The Following User Says Thank You to enjenjo For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (12-23-2015)

Old 12-23-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjenjo View Post
I buy the on sale $9.99 right angle die grinders. I have a bunch of them set up with carbide bits, sanding discs, Skotch brite discs, grinding wheels and wire brushes. They use a lot of air, but I have not had one fail yet, and I really can't see a difference between them, and the older CPs and Ingersalls I have.

When I was wrenching professionally, I used HF impact sockets, they actually lasted longer than the Snap On sockets, had the same warrantee, and you could buy a whole set for the price of one Snap On.
LOLOL, I bought a set of Pittsburg Impact sockets at HF and they broke, one after another! I even welded them back together to use as locking wheel lug removers. That is when I bought my S&K set and have never been sorry. I gave the broken junk to a co-worker who likes working with cheap junk (though he has an $8000 SnapOn box) and I wrote a warning sticker out of masking tape and put it on the box.

"Warning, do not connect air hose to impact wrench when using these sockets."

Brian
Old 12-23-2015, 01:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

Interesting as I have tried to break my HF impact sockets - SAE and metric and they just keep on working though the 21mm and 13/16 are about worn round from use
Old 12-23-2015, 02:19 PM

Are you using a HF impact................

I do have to say that the next time I saw that set it looked a lot thicker than the one I got.

Brian
Old 12-23-2015, 03:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Are you using a HF impact................

I do have to say that the next time I saw that set it looked a lot thicker than the one I got.

Brian
Yep - their 'Earthquake' impact. It for sure isn't a Snap-on but it whips the 165 pound torqued (all 32 of the dang things) lug nuts off my truck plus the even tighter blue Loc-Tited brake bracket *ahem* cap screws

Dave W
Old 12-23-2015, 05:51 PM

harbor freight tools

have several jack stands that I have used for years with no problems. bought one of their $369 bottom chests with a $299 top chest. not a snap on or mac. does ok for extra storage.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkey View Post
have several jack stands that I have used for years with no problems. .
If you did have a problem you probably wouldn't be here talking about it now.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnit For This Useful Post:
PHWOARchild (01-31-2016)
Old 12-23-2015, 06:22 PM

harbor freight tools

good point
Old 01-31-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy View Post
The o
nly thing worth walkin out of Harbor Freight with is the cash register.
Can I get a drum roll?

thats about right...........HEY NO!!It is right!!! ha ha
Old 01-31-2016, 08:02 AM

I bought An extended --air--powered 3" disc cutoff grinder.Whats everyones take on this tool ~~~~~please,I am not afraid to take a tool back. Idid return the$ always ---$100.00 stud gun, Didn't weld the pull pins on the sheetmetal, What .on the tool i ask about.

I bought the 3/8ths- drive air ratchet. I had one 10 years .It was oiled far less, than called for .But it was one heck of a tool for $19.00 . PS:bought another last summer.i oil the crap out of my H/F tool now.Had the shop crane for over 30 years ,i add hyd; oil from time to time. It has a short arm busting travel on it.It keeps working. please feel free!!!! on my question asked about the extended reach -cutoff tool.Ican still return it.90 day warranty i think thanks much Bob s
Old 01-31-2016, 08:44 AM

Though i would show you the -extended"disc cutoff tool"I purchased in the 'previous post"yesterday. Also thru in a pic of my 55 i am doing. thanks for looking. bob s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air disc cuttoff and 55 on rotss; 001.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	936.9 KB
ID:	271921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air disc cuttoff and 55 on rotss; 003.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	959.8 KB
ID:	271929  
Old 01-31-2016, 08:45 AM

For Harry Homeowner, their tools will be okay. If you own a business and depend on a tool working every day, you're tossing the dice. Can you afford to spend a couple of hours chasing a replacement or more if you decide to fart around fixing it?

I got their 2-ton engine crane last year. It gets some use at my house and I lend it out to friends. Took me another trip back and forth to get all the parts (they just tore open another box and cannibalized it..). I still had to machine up some parts for it to improve it.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHWOARchild View Post
For Harry Homeowner, their tools will be okay. If you own a business and depend on a tool working every day, you're tossing the dice. Can you afford to spend a couple of hours chasing a replacement or more if you decide to fart around fixing it?

I got their 2-ton engine crane last year. It gets some use at my house and I lend it out to friends. Took me another trip back and forth to get all the parts (they just tore open another box and cannibalized it..). I still had to machine up some parts for it to improve it.

The plug began to leak on mine ...shop crane .I tapped hole in the cylinder made up a rubber washer The little strap metal squeezes -the rubber--
, therefore stopping the leak..over 30 years repaired

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in