Hard start won't idle disconnect fule pump idles great - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2019, 08:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hard start won't idle disconnect fule pump idles great

I have a 350 SBC with a 671 blower. after sitting for about 1 year I went to start it last weekend and it wouldn't start. After several attempts, I believe I flooded it. So I took off the air cleaners and let it sit for a while and started checking some things out and discovered a few plug wires that were burnt from the exhaust. I changed those and gave it another try, I was able to get it to fire after several attempts and got it to run but was acting like it was getting way too much fuel wouldn't idle. Lots of black smoke out of the exhaust and it died again. I believe I flooded it again trying to get it started again, so I disconnected the fuel pump and attempted to start it again, it fired off and ran perfect as well as idled great until the fuel ran out. I did this twice. So if I have the electric fuel pump on it seemed as though it was getting too much fuel but once I disconnect the fuel pump it ran great. I have 7.5 PSI and has always ran perfect until now. Does anyone have any ideas what my problem is? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 08:35 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Floats are stuck
The Following User Says Thank You to johnsongrass1 For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 08:25 AM

extra fuel

can u just try to tap the ea carb, say with the plastic end of good size screw driver. don't be gentle but don't break it either.
The Following User Says Thank You to delawarebill For This Useful Post:

Old 09-14-2019, 10:33 AM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,107 Posts
What carbs? If they're Carter AFB's or Edelbrock, they will only tolerate 5 psi max fuel pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 11:55 AM

Thanked 1,179 Times in 932 Posts
After sitting for a year the fuel dries out leaving behind sticky and in some cases gritty residue. This stuff if in the float valves of the carburetor or the float hinges or under the power valve seats of a Holley result in flooding the fuel bowl or leaks into the main metering circuit.

Even fuel saver additives don't help this over that much time.

7.5 psi is a lot for a carb they are happier at 5 to 6. For a blower motor using an electric pump there isn't a way to boost reference the pump as with a engine driven mechanical pump.

The way I do electric pumps is to use a high volume, high pressure pump that can at peak deliver more fuel that the blower at WOT can consume. Then use a bypass regulator or two as volume and pressure drops dictate to provide the flexibility of fuel volume needed between unboosted idle and full boosted WOT. Since carburetors are pressure sensitive the trick is to vary volume with varying pressure.

The bypass regulator provides this function by controlling the pressure at a steady state through bypassing the unused fuel portion based on engine consumption back to the fuel tank. Sp there is no need to run excess fuel pressure to cover the WOT boost condition.

One can use a self regulating pump, the problem with these is that the internal bypass keeps immediately rerouting the pump heated fuel back into the inlet side not giving it a chance to cool. At idle and cruise this can lead to some very hot fuel that will easily flash to vapor when the pressure is released such as passing through the inlet seat and valve of the carb.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 03:08 PM

Yup, floats must have been stuck, a little tap on the sides of each carb did the trick and it is running great again. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate the help on this forum.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:36 AM
Capt Mike

BogiesAnnex1

excellent recommendations !
Old 09-18-2019, 01:10 PM

Thanked 1,179 Times in 932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogiesAnnex1 View Post
After sitting for a year the fuel dries out ......

The way I do electric pumps is to use a high volume, high pressure pump that can at peak deliver more fuel that the blower at WOT can consume. Then use a bypass regulator or two as volume and pressure drops dictate to provide the flexibility of fuel volume needed between unboosted idle and full boosted WOT. Since carburetors are pressure sensitive the trick is to vary volume with varying pressure.....

Bogie
This paragraph should read:

The way I do electric pumps is to use a high volume, high pressure pump that can at peak deliver more fuel that the blower at WOT can consume. Then use a bypass regulator or two as volume and pressure drops dictate to provide the flexibility of fuel volume needed between unboosted idle and full boosted WOT. Since carburetors are pressure sensitive the trick is to vary volume without varying pressure.

Bogie
Old 09-18-2019, 06:03 PM

The carb(s) may need cleaning. If they had fuel in them while the car sitting up, it may have turned to goo and clogged up various passages. If the engine fires up and runs with the pump off, that suggests the pump pressure forces a very rich condition. You may need to replace the needles and seats, which might not be seating because of the varnish. Anyway, going thru your carb(s) is a good starting point. Good luck.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in