Help me choose a cam! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2014, 02:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help me choose a cam!

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm building a small block chevrolet, either 350 or 355 depending on the condition of my block. I've already decided on promaxx performance heads (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pmx-2168), with steel roller tip rockers. I have an edelbrock torker ii, and will be running either a holley 600 or 750 carb. This motor will be going in a '86 chevy C10 swb, with 1 5/8" headers. The truck has a TH350 with stock stall, but I plan on getting at least a 2500 in the near future. Any input on a good cam to run would be appreciated. The truck will be driven mostly on the street, with some strip use. I'd like a somewhat rough idle for that awesome sound. I had been looking at the COMP cams XE268-H10 (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...42-2/overview/) but I'd like to hear from someone who knows a little more about these engines than myself. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2014, 02:31 AM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,216 Times in 2,697 Posts
That cam is a decent size pick for your intended usage.

That Torker II intake is a pile of junk, a waste of good aluminum. These were invented in the late 1970's to please owners of Corvettes and Camaro's with low hood clearance in mind only, not performance.... the beancounters at Edelbrock(and Weiand, the "Accelerator" manifold) desired it just to get the manifold sales...not a hint of sound airflow engineering or power making capability in these short single plane intakes. One of the engineers at Edelbrock back then has even admitted this online a few years back. (Jim McFarland)

Sell it to someone you don't like or want to beat, and get yourself a Performer RPM or one of it's clones, like the Professional Products Typhoon or the Summit Stage II, or Weiand Speed Warrior. These are at least 25 hp better than that turkey the Torker II.

Summit's #1103, 1104, and 1105 cams are all good alternative cams, at lower cost, and I bet you didn't know they are all ground by the same company as the one that grinds for Comp...Camshaft Machine Corp (CMC) in Muskegon, Mi...so why spend extra for Comps name on the box?!!.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:33 AM

Thank you! I'll check out the summit cams as well. The torker II was just laying around. I plan on chucking it as soon as I find something else.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:40 AM
More for Less Racer

You may be better off with a Promaxx#2169 head with straight plugs, as angled plugs often interfere with most general street performance headers, requiring you to buy more expensive race headers made specifically to clear angle plug heads. There is no performance advantage to angle plugs like there was 40 years ago, combustion chamber design improvements have eliminated that need.

I'd bet you'd rather not have to bash in several header tubes on your new headers just to clear angle plugs, right?
Old 06-21-2014, 02:43 AM

I didn't realize I had linked to the angled plug heads. I intend to purchase the straight plugs. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:11 AM

Check out Howard's Cams, Osh Kosh, WI. Personable phone sales guy, they grind their own cams, and great warranty. Don't rule out a custom grind if you have all your numbers, costs about the same.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:04 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmorides View Post
Check out Howard's Cams, Osh Kosh, WI. Personable phone sales guy, they grind their own cams, and great warranty. Don't rule out a custom grind if you have all your numbers, costs about the same.
I have dealt with Howard's/Competition Products a bunch of times, really good parts and good guys, and real good prices. I recommend them all the time, even the budget Elgin ProStock cams are really durable pieces.

All the Howard's Hydraulic cam kits are on sale right now too, just got the E-mail from them, Summer Sale.

Tags
c10, camshaft, sbc, th350, truck

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in