Hey alignment techs, how often do you pull a wheel ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 05:38 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Wiki Edits: 22

Hey alignment techs, how often do you pull a wheel ?

say a 10 year old car comes in for an alignment. customer says he did tie rods recently and did a driveway alignment, but now it needs the professional deal because its starting to eat one of the front tires

do you:

A: put it on the rack, align it, kick it out the door
B: pull one or more wheels to look things over before even trying to do an alignment

source of this question is someone wants to argue that theres no reason a shop would have pulled a wheel off for a simple alignment.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 06:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

i check over every car i put on a lift. do the requested repair, then advise to any additional repair needed. never try to sell unnecessary repair and usually the customers are very happy but sometimes you get the guy who's pissed you found a gas leak or bad brakes you know things that will kill someone.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,100 Times in 4,477 Posts
I see no reason to pull a wheel off, none what so ever. Up on the lift you can see everything you need to see.

Brian

Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I see no reason to pull a wheel off, none what so ever. Up
on the lift you can see everything you need to see.

Brian
good point, but let me turn it back around on you. the lifts are all full with other
work, and your only option left is the alignment rack with its air bag lifts. do
you crawl around under the car to inspect everything or just pull wheels so your not on your hands and knees ?

ie: this is your only option

Old 03-10-2011, 06:44 PM

I personally like the wheels on to take advantage of the leverage. If I am checking for loose parts, I sure don't want to shake down the front end by grabbing the rotors. That is just my preference.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:23 PM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication

I never pull the wheels for a simple alignment. I do a thorough a shakedown and visual inspection. I might cross rotate the fronts for diagnostic/maintenance purposes.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Yep, there is no reason to pull the wheels, the control arms or any other part of the suspension unless there is a REAL reason to do so. For your typical alignment, there is absolutely no reason to pull the wheels.

This is leading to something, let me guess, a wheel fell off? Or a suspension or steering component fell apart because the guy didn't put it on right?

I do have to say I don't envy anyone who has to do alignments on a rack like that. We have a four post lift and I can't imagine doing alignments having to go under something like that rack, what on a creeper? The creeper is too low, what do you do? You break your back all to hell, that's what you do!

Man you are working hard using that rack, way too hard.

Brian
Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 PM

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowROLLERchevy
good point, but let me turn it back around on you. the lifts are all full with other
work, and your only option left is the alignment rack with its air bag lifts. do
you crawl around under the car to inspect everything or just pull wheels so your not on your hands and knees ?

ie: this is your only option

Ignorance on my part, I've never aligned a front end. But why would you do a four wheel alignment with the rear end hanging instead of at ride height? I'm talking about the Camaro photo. olnolan
Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 PM

I have to assume that was to do the do the runout on the heads telling the computer "where the heads are" prior to lowering the car and doing the alignment.

I used to have to do same with our old Jim Bean system. With the Hunter we now have you roll the car back and forth about fifteen inches and it calibrates the computer to the heads and where they are at.

Brian
Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
Ignorance on my part, I've never aligned a front end. But why would you do a four wheel alignment with the rear end hanging instead of at ride height? I'm talking about the Camaro photo. olnolan
To calibrate the heads on that machine you need to rotate the tires. I Have never pulled a wheel prior to an alignment inspection. If i notice a master cylinder is low I will pull A wheel and check.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 PM

???

So, Is this done to find to the center of the axle travel or it is something about the alignment computer setup that I don't have a clue about? olnolan
Old 03-10-2011, 08:56 PM

It's simply telling the computer where the head is at on the wheel. By spinning the wheel it figures out where exactly center is. The head is adjustable up and down many inches. You could put it on a wheel and move it up on the wheel past the center and calibrate it, or you could move it to the bottom way below the center and calibrate it just as easy.

With a machine like that you rotate the wheel 80 degrees and push a button, you rotate it back 160 degrees then back up straight pushing a button at each of the three stops. This tells the computer where the head is at on the wheel.

Our new Hunter you simply roll the car back about 15 inches and it tells you to stop, you roll it forward watching the computer monitor and it tells you when to stop and it is doing the same thing.

Brian
Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 PM

ok

Thanks. Thats what I thought. Something about the machine calibration that I don't have a clue about. This is why a pay somebody to align my vehicles. HaHa olnolan
Old 03-11-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
This is leading to something, let me guess, a wheel fell off? Or a suspension or steering component fell apart because the guy didn't put it on right?
almost, wheel started knocking on the ride home, 4 lug nuts were loose.So naturally dudes mad because its a stupid mistake for the shop to make. he made a thread on the local forum about it and all, and one of the other guys on said forum is trying to claim that it cant be the shops fault because theres no reason to pull a wheel for an alignment.

.... as if the original poster is trying to claim something ridiculous like "went for an alignment and somehow they burnt out the ECU in the car"
Old 03-11-2011, 01:52 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Wiki Edits: 1616

In a busy shop, any number of things MIGHT have happened. One scenario is the wheel was mistakenly loosened because the new guy thought this was the car getting the tires balanced.

But for a routine toe in check/adjustment there's no good reason to pull a wheel, IMHO. Same thing for a complete alignment unless something out of the ordinary was seen or suspected.

He may never know unless the shop were to admit they did it in the first place- and that would mean they're opening themselves up to liability down the road should the vehicle have anything from a flat tire to a major failure of some sort.

I'd want to confront the owner/manager of the shop and tell them exactly what happened and I would consider myself lucky it was caught in time (if it WAS caught in time) and no accident or other damage was caused by the loose wheel.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in