Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - HF English Wheel
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 01:39 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Wiki Edits: 0

HF English Wheel

After a very long delay due to back orders, my Harbor Freight English Wheel finally arrived yesterday. Instead of continuing the earlier discussion of this wheel which is here https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/harb...+english+wheel I thought I'd do my "review" in a separate thread.

The wheel comes exactly as advertised and is a snap to assemble. I also ordered the set of different sized lower anvils which can be seen in the photo on the rack at the back of the wheel frame.

I have a very specific purpose in mind for the wheel and that's to make compound curved pieces like I hand formed for the rear quarters of the roadster (see pic below) and that I'll need to form the rear corners of the sedan/delivery body.

So my first test run on the wheel was to see if I could form an 8" section which would not only wrap around the back corner but curve vertically as well to fit the rear skeleton rib of the body. It's not real visible in a picture but this piece does curve in both directions. Also note that the only scraps I had around to play with were 18 gauge. I will probably using 19 or 20 gauge for the corners of the car so it should be easier to wheel and form.

And here I'm holding the piece in the approximate position it would fit on the rear of the new body.

At this point it's not really appropriate to make any sort of conclusions about the quality or effectiveness of this wheel. But I do believe it is going to fit my particular purposes. This is the very first time I've ever wheeled ANYTHING so I have a ton to learn and many hours of practice and trial and error ahead of me. I'll have much more to report on the HF wheel once I get to the point in the body fabrication where I'm actually making the pieces for real. But so far I'm happy with what I think the machine will be able to do.