Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - HF English Wheel
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaway2long
1.) Lower dies: Are they full radius or do they have a flat in the center?

2.) Did you notice the head swaying back and forth when you had higher wheel pressure. Did it spring much?
Beenaway,

Sorry for the delay in responding but I couldn't (can't) really answer your first question so I had to get out to the shop to take a couple pictures. Hopefully you can discover the answer to the "flat center" by looking at them. Just eyeballing them I'd have to say they are full radius and have no flat spot. The first shot shows both wheels and the pattern left on the wheel from my practice runs. The second shot is of one of the lower dies that I haven't used yet.

Regarding the second question, I didn't notice either the top or bottom moving at all. However, you might want to put a big asterisk by that response. It COULD be moving and with my lack of experience I'm just not picking up on it yet. Also, I'm not sure yet about how much pressure I ought to be putting on the wheels. (Maybe you could give me some tips there.) I've gone well beyond the point of being able to re-insert the work piece between the wheels if I pull or push to far and it pops out of the wheels. I have to loosen the head, put the piece back in place, and re-tighten the wheel. Is this normal operating procedure? And that is also the only time I notice what I'd call springiness...when the piece pops out from between the wheels.