Hit by a deer this morning... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2019, 12:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki
Wiki Edits: 1

I will. I got a call from a rep yesterday morning and have an appraiser coming out Thursday sometime. The rep assured me they would take of it to my satisfaction...
Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 03:34 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,266 Posts
Must be catching. I'm waiting for a call back on a front bumper assy for one of my vans. Hitting a 200lb wild boar at 10 o'clock at night wasn't fun. Didn't seem to bother him much. He just continued on his way. Probably had things to do.

BB
Old 08-20-2019, 04:22 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,773 Times in 2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Must be catching. I'm waiting for a call back on a front bumper assy for one of my vans. Hitting a 200lb wild boar at 10 o'clock at night wasn't fun. Didn't seem to bother him much. He just continued on his way. Probably had things to do.

BB
Watchu doin in Tejas ??

Old 08-20-2019, 05:50 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Watchu doin in Tejas ??
Nope. A mile from home in Northern Calif. They were so bad about 4 years ago I had to get a Fed Trapper to come in. Destructive!! Tore my upper pasture to shreds.

BB
Old 08-20-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Nope. A mile from home in Northern Calif. They were so bad about 4 years ago I had to get a Fed Trapper to come in. Destructive!! Tore my upper pasture to shreds.

BB
Dang, didn't know they were in Nor-cal. Can't you shoot em ?
Old 08-20-2019, 07:08 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Dang, didn't know they were in Nor-cal. Can't you shoot em ?
I can any time because of my past problems but there is a hunting season. Saying all that, they come around late at night or early morning and it's past my bedtime. Actually the vast majority of states have wild hog problems. A domestic pig will be ferall in 6 months.

BB
Old 08-21-2019, 06:39 AM

We have them around here also. The things are built like tanks. Allowed to shoot them all year round as many as you can. First time I saw one I was shocked as hell, I had just moved here and had never seen one or even heard they roamed around anywhere in the US. It was late and I heard a lot of noise in the woods, got a spotlight and they were in the yard. Around here I've read about a guy some time back who imported them and raised them. When he went broke he just let them loose. I only have a .22, those would probably bounce off of them. The hogs plow through the lawn with their nose at an angle flipping the sod to one side looking for grubs. The big mean looking things eat grubs!
boothboy (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
It looks like the whole clip was pushed to the left. The hood gap is non-existent on the hit side and it is opened up on the right side. Like it was shoved over and then didn't spring back...
Hood at the front.
Hood at the rear is popped up and won't go down... And you can see where the paint is chipped at the door and cowl.
It doesn't look that bad until you start "looking" at it...
Mark

I saw it looked pretty bad at first, but I did miss where it looks like the whole fender is bowed or whatever into the hood. Hmm. I've seen sets of NOS fenders go for $1500 a couple times, that's well worth it if you can get one for half that. The hood sticking up, could it be from where the fender is contacting it? Definitely more than a little bondo needed. Don't know if that fender to hood area will spring back when it's unleashed? That would be nice.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:23 AM

Hit deer

I had a deer hit on the 15th . 56 chevy also. Took out right front fender then spun around and caved in passenger door. Pushed fender and core support back taking out radiator and fan. Haggerty has been really good but still waiting on contract adjuster. He is supposed to show up sometime this week......? We were just coming back from a dinner cruise with eight other cars ....I was the fifth car so I guess the deer was tired of waiting on traffic so started across. We were just a hundred yards from town so wasn't going fast but just happens so damm fast. Good luck with your repair.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:41 AM

I saw the adjuster Thursday afternoon. Waiting on the quote right now.
I did take the car to a good body shop Sunday morning. He wants to replace the hood as well. I will be throwing more money at this then what the insurance will pay. The car has at least 4 coats of paint on it, a few rust bubbles in the roof at the drip edge and some funky stuff going on in the rear fender lips.
I would like to soda blast the entire car, get back to square one with it and then figure out what absolutely needs to be done.
We talked about doing the floors and inner rockers as well. I figure if it's going into paint jail for a while we may as well make it right. I am going to start pulling the front clip off this week. Lots of work I want to do up there as well and I may as well do it rather then pay the body shop.
Mark
Old 08-27-2019, 06:05 AM
Curmudgeon at Large

You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Old 08-27-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
I saw the adjuster Thursday afternoon. Waiting on the quote right now.
I did take the car to a good body shop Sunday morning. He wants to replace the hood as well. I will be throwing more money at this then what the insurance will pay. The car has at least 4 coats of paint on it, a few rust bubbles in the roof at the drip edge and some funky stuff going on in the rear fender lips.
I would like to soda blast the entire car, get back to square one with it and then figure out what absolutely needs to be done.
We talked about doing the floors and inner rockers as well. I figure if it's going into paint jail for a while we may as well make it right. I am going to start pulling the front clip off this week. Lots of work I want to do up there as well and I may as well do it rather then pay the body shop.
Mark
No idea what your time, funding and commitment level are like for this, but you are, basically, talking a frame off restoration vs repairing the immediate damage and driving for a few years yet. If you aren't in a position to accomplish the goal in a reasonable amount of time, paint jail would be a drop in the bucket compared to having it sit in a thousand pieces for years on end. Been there, done that, and seen many others fall prey to the idea.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob37pont View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOHw...dzBtZN3hbAFFTM">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOHw...dzBtZN3hbAFFTM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
OMG !!!!!!!!!!!! and the dumbing down of America continues...
Old 09-03-2019, 09:51 AM

So it begins...
I started pulling the car apart Saturday afternoon. All of the stainless is off, the front bumper, grill, pan, headlights and parking lights are off.
The bastardized pan is fiberglass, the bumper was held on with the two center brackets that were welded to the torch cut frame horns. Now I need some frame horns so I can get this back to stock so I can put real bumper brackets and a full splash pan back on the car...

The pan is 'glass and was cut out to run brackets thru it. The brackets were welded on with the pan installed. I had to bend and twist the brackets off (didn't take much bending...) to the pan off...

Mark
Old 09-03-2019, 10:53 AM

Oh boy, your slippery slope dove downhill right from the git-go...
I take it you weren't aware of the situation with the pan/brackets ?
It will be better when you're done...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in