Hit by a deer this morning... - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2019, 08:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki
Wiki Edits: 1

Got a lot done Thursday afternoon. I finished up some welding in the lower hinge pockets. They are still not pretty but there is only so much you can do with thin steel. I could chase these welds for a week if I wanted to. This will get buried in primer and seam sealer so it will be sealed up pretty well.
Here is the drivers side with the nut plate retainer welded in. You can see where I was chasing a burn out at the top of the plate. Man this is ugly but there is just nothing left to weld to.

This is the passenger side retainer welded in place and before clean up.

This is the passenger side plate before it got welded in.

The drivers side.

I also got the passenger side drain channel mocked into place.

That's what I did.
Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 08:29 PM

On the down hill side now. Got everything painted this afternoon. Tomorrow everything gets seam sealed and the drain channels will get installed. If things go well I hope to get the outers welded on Sunday...

Thanks for watching!
Mark
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
Gearhead Poppa (12-07-2019), idrivejunk (12-06-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 05:01 PM

Well, today was a pretty good day! I got out to the shop early and got both sides seam sealed and the drain channels installed.

These things are on there! I buttered all of the surfaces before screwing the channels and covers in place. If you have never worked with seam sealer you need to know this stuff makes an amazing glue as well. To get these apart I would have to use a chisel to cut them off.

I let the sealer set up for an hour or so and then buried everything in primer.

With that done I finished prepping the outer covers. I got the final fit-ups done and all of the plug welding holes punched and sanded the E-coat down. I usually take parts like this down to bare metal but the E-coat was on there very well so I did a heavy scuff and primed the inside of each piece.

Both pieces primed and ready to weld on.

I am still debating opening up a hole in both sides to have access to the inside of the seams after welding. You can see it outlined here in silver sharpie.

I will get a top coat of gloss black sprayed on everything tonight. This will be ready to close up tomorrow.
idrivejunk (12-08-2019), Too Many Projects (12-07-2019)

Old 12-08-2019, 06:31 PM

The inner cowls are all done! Shot some gloss black on them a little bit ago and they are ready to get closed up!

These things should never leak again!

I also sprayed the insides of the outer covers.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 06:36 PM

The cowl rebuild is done! Everything is welded up, I got a coat of primer on all of the seams and tomorrow it will all get seam sealer slathered on. I was all day getting the cowl outers welded on. Started about 9 this morning and was spraying the primer at about 5:30... Going slow and cooling the welds is what takes so long. Even then I was chasing burn outs on most of these welds...
Now I can start on the floors and rockers...

Gearhead Poppa (12-08-2019), idrivejunk (12-08-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 04:16 PM

I yanked the rugs out of the car last night and finished pulling the back seat bottom and rugs tonight.
Lots of rust (which I knew was there).
The passenger side is worse in back, the drivers side is worse in front. Both have issues front to back...
Drivers footwell, this was all covered with a sheet of thin aluminum...

Drivers rear foot well and seat riser. The dogleg back to the wheel house is still very solid.
This a "patch" that was screwed to the seat riser...

This was under the patch.

The passenger side front, not as bad as the other side but VERY thin.

The area under the seat is also full of holes...

The rear foot well and seat riser are totally separated...

Making a plan to replace the passenger side floor as a unit. The tunnel is fine and the foot boards are usable. I will probably use the seat riser top as is. If I trim off the rust and leave the rolled edge I can fit the new floor over that and get it all plug welded together. I will put the car on stands tomorrow to start cleaning up the rockers.
The drivers side I will make the call to replace the whole thing as I get the old stuff removed.
Lots of stuff to do...
Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (12-15-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,957 Posts
Well, you do work quick enough to get to the tail lights by spring and maybe drive it again next summer...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
astroracer (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 09:01 PM

I hope so too my friend, I removed most everything between the firewall and tail lights today!

I made a plan on how to attack these repairs and wanted a second opinion. I called a friend of mine to come look at the floors to get his input. He agreed with my thoughts so we started cutting... This is where we ended up.

I ordered the two short braces and a couple of outer rockers tonight. I will save the seat braces and start rebuilding the inner rockers tomorrow.
All of the ugly will get trimmed off the seat platform. The new pans will get trimmed to that edge and plug welded on top of what's left.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (12-15-2019), Gearhead Poppa (12-15-2019), idrivejunk (12-15-2019), Too Many Projects (12-14-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 05:54 PM

I got a lot "undone" today!
The seat brace and rusted short floor brace is out.

The rear seat riser is trimmed off.

I got the rusted stuff cleaned out of the rear floor area.

Trimmed off the rusted flange at the lower rocker.

Trimmed off the rusted flange (wiring channel) at the bottom of the inner fender that mates to the inner rocker and floor flanges.

Trimmed off the rusted rear brace.
Got "most" of the rocker flange cleaned up. This is mostly rusted away. I will probably be fabbing a new channel to get the new inner rocker attached to the old outer.
Cleaned up the bottom of the foot board, front brace and the intersection at the foot board to rocker area... This area is still pretty solid. i will be doing a lot of rust cleaning but the inner rocker and outer rocker joints are both still good. Getting the bolt out is next on the list.

The front brace and middle brace are still attached very well to the inner rocker. I will leave these two sections as I cut out the original and just piece the new one around these areas.
Tomorrow night I start drilling out spot welds at the bottom flange.
Thanks for watching!
mark
123pugsy (12-16-2019), Gearhead Poppa (12-15-2019), idrivejunk (12-22-2019), Too Many Projects (12-15-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 06:42 PM

Haven't posted any updates so lets play some catch up...
This is going back to 16 Dec.
Here is my plan to repair the rusted flange for the inner fender wall. Being that it was all rotted out I cut the whole thing off to make the repair simpler.
This is what's left of the inner wall. I cut the rusty wiring channel off right at the bottom of the wall.

After cleaning up the sheet metal I will make a new "J" channel to plug weld to the old inner wall.
This is my "plan" sketched out on that same pic. The black is the new channel, the blue is the new inner rocker.

Here is a hand drawn pic of the assembly before cutting off the flange.

With the new flange plug welded in and the rocker/floor relationship.

I will build this assembly with screws and Cleco's before anything gets welded in.
I will also get the rest of the inner rocker removed and start CLEANING all of the rust and junk out...
Mark
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (12-20-2019), Gearhead Poppa (12-20-2019), idrivejunk (12-22-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 06:50 PM

The new inner rocker is fit in, I did a lot more clean up with the flap wheel and the body mount bolt that goes through the first floor brace is out.

I modified the inner to slip behind the front and third braces. They are still attached to the old inner with very little rust so I saw no reason to cut them apart.
Notched to fit over and behind the brace. This will weld in fine with some more clean up in the joint.

The middle brace. I also notched the new piece to slip behind and over this. The new piece will get welded to what is left of the old inner on both sides of the brace and along the top, under the rocker flange.

I will also be replacing a section of the outer flange that you can see here is pretty rotted.

I still have a lot of clean up to do before any of this gets welded in.
The rear seat area is cleaned up as well as the side wall. I hit the wall with the flap wheel and ground what was left of the old wire channel down flush with the wall.

This edge will be what sets the height of the new J channel piece when that gets welded in.
Here you can see the new inner in place. I can't set the width on this until the new floor is in place. I will start trimming that up tomorrow to see how it fits.

The new inner fits pretty well. Once the rest of this mess gets fit up I will rebuild the lower outer rocker to meet the new tin at the bottom seam.
Gearhead Poppa (12-20-2019), idrivejunk (12-22-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 07:07 PM

I've gotten a bit done over the last few days.
I cut off that rotten flange and made a new one out of 16ga. This will plug weld right thru the original channel bottom.

Looking from the inside out.

The floor is fit in and it looks fantastic! This thing fit like a glove once I had it trimmed to size. The fitup to the tunnel, rear seat riser, rocker flange and toe board is amazing and required very little tweaking for it to fall into place...

With this in place I can start fabbing the new J channel for the rear wall

I'll mark around the panel on the old floor and trim the old floor to fit. I will be overlapping the two and plug welding them together. This thing is already strong even with just three screws holding it in...

I also cut out some old patch work in the rear inner fenderwell. This will all get rebuilt to match the new floor and rocker.
You can see the new rocker hanging down in this pic before I cut anything.

After I cut out the old junk. I may go a bit higher tomorrow, just to get out of all of the rust. A new one piece panel will get made to slip under the original tin and make plug welding easier.

Thanks for watching!
Mark
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (12-20-2019), Gearhead Poppa (12-20-2019), idrivejunk (12-22-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 07:10 PM

I also got the new parts I ordered from Danchuk last Saturday! The new floor braces and rockers look great!

The rockers will be cut up to rebuild the lower halves of what is already there.
The floor braces will replace what was left of the originals.

Thanks for following!
Mark
123pugsy (12-20-2019), Gearhead Poppa (12-20-2019), idrivejunk (12-22-2019), Too Many Projects (12-22-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 07:52 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,372 Times in 2,459 Posts
Good stuff Mark.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:39 PM

Thank You Sir!
I bent up a short test piece to verify the width of the new J channel.

It was a little wide so I'll move one of the bend tangencies about a 1/16th of an inch to narrow up the real piece. Getting the channel bent up it dropped right in and fit perfectly!

I still have a bit of trimming to do at the door opening. I also made a close out piece that will weld into the back of the channel and tie it into the fender well patch.

This will strengthen the joint at the back of the floor quite a bit.

Getting the J channel clecoed in place the fit up of the floor and lower rocker couldn't be any better!

Rather then chasing welds trying to plug weld this to the inner wall, which is very thin, I am going to get everything sealed up and just rivet this piece on. Buttered up with seam sealer the joint will be nearly as strong as welding and it will be totally sealed up from moisture.

Tire side of the lower fender patch. I need to trim off that sq. corner and don't know what it should look like.

Does anyone have a pic of the inner wheel well on a stock car? I am thinking I will just round it off and bead roll the edge.
Thanks for watching.
Mark
123pugsy (12-21-2019), Gearhead Poppa (12-21-2019), idrivejunk (12-22-2019), Too Many Projects (12-22-2019)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in