Hit by a deer this morning... - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2020, 08:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki
Wiki Edits: 1

Looking at the rocker after I got the brace out of the way... You can see the upper rocker is very cratered and thin. The floor flange is all but gone and the A pillar reinforcement is pretty much non-existent.

After I got all of the rot removed. The outer had been replaced at some point, with a cap. The old outer is still there and it all needs to come out.

I worked through a bunch of "fixing it" scenarios in my head and the best one was to simply replace the entire rocker. This side I can justify doing that as the entire top of the rocker has issues.
The new piece won't be here until Friday but I have plenty to do in building patch panels for the lower pillar, the inside rocker reinforcement and a section of floor I removed as it was all holey and thin.
Here are a few pics as I was getting things gutted...

Looking back, down the length of the rocker. You can see some warping in the top of the rocker as it compares to the bottom of the door. There is some stuff going on there that I want to fix. I will try to get pics of it tonight.

Here is a shot of the section of toe board I removed.

I'll get busy fabbing the patch for this and the inner rocker/A pillar reinforcement tonight.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-13-2020), Gearhead Poppa (01-13-2020), idrivejunk (01-13-2020), John long (03-09-2020), Too Many Projects (01-13-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 08:34 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,311 Times in 2,924 Posts
I have used an old trick for those thin areas that keep blowing out. If you have some old arc welding rod around, 6011, 6013, knock the flux off and hold the end in the blow hole, or right next to it, if it doesn't fit and melt it in with the trigger pull on the mig. It will help fill faster and minimize the blow out.

That car is lucky it found it's way to you...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
22george (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 03:56 AM

Thank you sir! I am humbled by your comment!
And thanks for the welding rod idea, I have a bunch and never thought to try it for this. I will definitely give it a shot. Right now I use the hot "BB" on the end of the wire. It is usually hot enough I can use it, as you mention to use the welding rod, as a filler to build up the blown out area. usually a few quick pulses with the BB's, shoving them into the hole, will build it up enough to take a full pull when the machine is set on spot. You really have to watch the parent metal though. In some cases it just won't take the heat...

Got home from work last night and beelined it straight out to the shop. Had a plan and stuck to it. Made a quick template for the floor patch out of card stock and set up the bead roller to tip the flange.
Didn't take any pics until the template was done and I had started on the patch itself.

Running the piece thru the tipping dies. This is 16ga so I could only tip it so far and the nylon roller didn't like the pressure.

I ended up finishing the bend on my metal bench. I also had to stretch the flanged edge a bit to bring the panel back to flat.

With the flange mostly done and the piece clecoed in.

Looking back at the patch from the front tire... I outlined the hole in the floor because I will trim the patch a 1/2" oversize and flange the edges to drop it flush with the toe board on the outside.

I will need to do some tweaking on the flange but I can wait and do that after the piece is welded in.
I also started developing the inner A pillar reinforcement patch.

This will weld between the outer and inner rockers. I won't do much with this other then get an oversize piece trimmed out.

I can't fit it to the car until the outer is replaced and lower A pillar rebuilt.
Thanks for watching!
Mark
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-14-2020), cozwurth (01-14-2020), Gearhead Poppa (01-14-2020), idrivejunk (01-14-2020), John long (03-09-2020), Too Many Projects (01-14-2020)

Old 03-07-2020, 07:59 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.

Everything good up there? It's been awhile since you've updated your progress...

Russ
Old 03-07-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
Everything good up there? It's been awhile since you've updated your progress...

Russ
Wow, yeah, I hadn't realized it has been almost 2 months. Maybe he went south to warm weather for a while...
Old 03-08-2020, 03:21 PM

Hey guys! Thanks for checking in! Everything is good up here and I haven't gone south. I've been working on the car, the drivers side A & B pillar bottoms have been rebuilt, the drivers side has complete new inner and outer rockers, the floor is in and all of the braces have been welded back in. I am currently working on the rear fender lips and roof rot...
I have about 2 months of updates if you want me to post them. I lost track of this thread and just let it go, didn't seem to have a lot of interest so I let it lag... Sorry
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-09-2020), John long (03-09-2020), Too Many Projects (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 04:06 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,307 Times in 2,434 Posts
Of course..... updates.....we're always here following along.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Of course..... updates.....we're always here following along.
Yep, we may not say much, because you already know and do more than some of us. We just tag along, admire the craftsmanship and learn...
Old 03-09-2020, 03:57 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,511 Times in 4,275 Posts
Ditto to above. I also am looking forward to seeing your progress Mark.

John
Old 03-09-2020, 05:29 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,162 Times in 3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
I lost track of this thread and just let it go, didn't seem to have a lot of interest so I let it lag... Sorry
Don't apologize. I know where you are coming from.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (03-09-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 07:20 PM

How about some updates? I'll post a few updates every time I get a chance until we are all caught up. This post is picking up right where I left off so you haven't missed anything.
This is from 16 Jan.
I spent some time in the shop the other day just looking and planning. With the new outer rocker on it's way I needed to figure out how I was going to replace it without disturbing the A pillar and, especially, the door alignment. I figured the best thing to do is to get the floor installed. At least get it to the point that it can be screwed in solid. The last couple of nights were spent removing the old floor and getting the inner rocker rot cleaned out.

Cleaning the rot of the rocker. There was not a lot of "finesse" used when these repairs were done... This would be embarrassing...

The long center floor brace was attached to nothing. The metal that was in here was not welded to the brace...

This is "some" of the junk I have removed from the rocker. I still have to clean out the back, at the rear floor brace and wheel well but I ran out of steam tonight...

The new rocker came in today and it looks great! This will work much better then trying to patch and straighten that 64 year metal.

Next on the list is to finish cleaning out the rocker and getting the wire channel flange cleaned up to except the new floor.
Thanks for looking!
Mark
123pugsy (03-10-2020), Gearhead Poppa (03-11-2020), idrivejunk (03-11-2020), John long (03-10-2020), Too Many Projects (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 07:24 PM

Remember these are posts from another site that I am copying and pasting here.
This is from Jan. 18th.

Shoveled snow this morning! it was pretty wet and heavy. Got done about noon so, after lunch, I headed out to the shop.
I got the rest of the inner rocker junk cut out along with what was left of the rear floor brace. Three spot welds were all that were holding all of that in.

I also cut off all of the floor flange that was left after I cut out the floor. The inner wall flange and back half of the floor is in really good shape. I have a bit of rust to fix in the wheel well but it's nothing compared to what I did on the passenger side...

I ran a flap disc around the floor opening to clean up where the new floor will weld in and ground down what was left of the spot welds on the middle floor brace.

Then I rolled the plasma cutter outside and trimmed the drivers floor so it will drop in place. It was spitting snow and sleet while I was doing this.

The pieces I won't be using.

Dropped the floor in did some trimming to fit it around the seat pedestal and got it close.

I got that done and called it a day. I was cold and I needed a shower to knock off all of the grit and dust I made when cleaning up the old metal...
I have some work to do to get the front of the floor snuggled down but I'll work on that tomorrow...
Thanks for watching!
Mark
123pugsy (03-10-2020), Gearhead Poppa (03-11-2020), idrivejunk (03-11-2020), Rip VW (03-10-2020), Too Many Projects (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 07:27 PM

This is also from 18 Jan.

This is looking inside the outer rocker.

I will spend some time cleaning this up

The whole lower fender/rocker piece had been replaced back in the 80's I think. It is pretty tough inside but once I get it cleaned up and treated it should last a while longer... Right?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-10-2020), Gearhead Poppa (03-11-2020), idrivejunk (03-11-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 07:29 PM

This is from 19 Jan.
The floor is fit in and screwed down as of today. I still need to do a bit of trimming yet but, to get the rocker replaced this will hold everything together nicely. I'll run a few more screws into it before I start the rocker work.

The inner rocker is in place and the fit at the bottom of the outer, at the back, is questionable to say the least...
Looking rearward from under the car..

The floor fit to the middle brace is perfect, as is the middle brace to inner rocker.

This is the rear cross car brace I trimmed off. I will clean this up and fit the splice to the inner like I did the other side.

I am also building a locator for the front lower fender bolt. just some angle that will bolt and weld in so I can position the front of the new rocker where it needs to be.
Pic is from the tire side looking down.

Looking at the body mount bracket from underneath. I will tack this short piece of angle to the bracket. This will lock the location of the bolt down to the car.

Mark
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-10-2020), Gearhead Poppa (03-11-2020), idrivejunk (03-11-2020), Too Many Projects (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 07:33 PM

This from 26 Jan. and where I will leave you for now. This is a problem at this point in time but don't fret, it kind of fixes itself as the rebuild progresses... You'll see later.
Getting the new rocker fit to the car I have found the A pillar on the drivers side has dropped 3/4's of an inch. This is due to years of no support from the front floor brace, nothing I have done... The door still shuts with a click
With the front floor brace installed the floor flange is 3/4's of an inch higher then the rocker flange.
Here is a pic I marked up. This is AFTER I put a jack under the pillar and raised it about 3/8's of an inch. At this point the door will not close....

I can come up witha few things to chase this down but I want to hear what you guys think...
Mark
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
Gearhead Poppa (03-11-2020), idrivejunk (03-11-2020)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in