Holley carb won't idle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2014, 07:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Holley carb won't idle

Hello there guys. last week I found my head gasket had blown out on my SBF 302. So I tore it down replaced the head gaskets, intake manifold gasket, and changed all of the fluids. I fired it up and it runs only if I stay on the throttle. as soon as you let go of the throttle it dies. I did not mess with the holley avenger 550 at all, so I am a little puzzled as to why it wont idle now. I do not hear any sort of vacuum leak. Anyone out there have any ideas before i start to cry.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 AM

If the only thing you changed was the head gaskets and all else being the same the first thing that comes to mind is your timing. If your timing is off it will make that a issues with your carb. I had the same problem years ago before what I know now and rechecking my timing cured my idle issues and back fire issue as well. Make sure you know what your true TDC is and make sure you balancer has not slipped. That would be the first thing to check before anything else.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:12 AM

Eric32,

thanks I will double check it today. I suck at finding TDC and dropping the distributor in, always gives me heck. The engine is a 302 roller cam with early 302 heads. being that it is a roller cam engine I am using the HO firing order. maybe that's where the issue lies.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:18 PM

302 HO firing order - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum Here is a post that may help you out. I never had to work or help with any ford 302 but I did know about the 302 having a different firing order depending on the year of the motor itself. I hope you get things figured out.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:22 PM

There is a link made from some folks on here on how to find true top dead center. If I was you I would pull the plug on cylinder number one and buy a piston stop from summit or jegs and rotate the engine by hand clock wise and when it stops mark your balancer then rotate the engine back counter clockwise and when it stops again them make a mark on the balancer. Now when looking at the balancer measure the halfway point between both lines and that will be your true TDC line.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:02 PM

When I mean by marking your balancer when it is stopped put a mark on where 0 degree mark is on the timing pointer and then when you turn it counter clockwise to where it stops put a mark on 0 degrees again where the tab points at 0. After both marks are made measure the halfway point and that will be top dead center. I got that from others on here as well as my Haynes manual. I found the link and its below.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...op_dead_center
Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM

Eric32,

Thanks a bunch for the great tips. After messing around a couple of minutes I came to the conclusion that I had a huge vacuum leak. Usually you can hear it but if it big then you do not. sure enough stupid me mounted the carb on the studs with a washer still on one of the studs. removed the washer and the carb seated correctly and now she runs like a champ. At least now I know how to find TDC the easy way. Thanks again
Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 AM

Hey your welcome and glad you found the problem. Its nice when its something simple instead or a major repair job. Been there and done that myself.

Tags
302, holley carb, idle, vacuum

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in