Home Made Dust collector for my bead blast cabinet - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Wiki Edits: 0

Home Made Dust collector for my bead blast cabinet

I went to blast the deck lid hinges on The T Coupe the other day. I have a home made blast cabinet I made back in the 80's. It worked great. I used to use my shop vac on it but my trusty shop vac expired, so a replacement shop vac was obtained. This New shop Vac is awful! The filtration sucks and every time I use it I need to open the doors. I was disappointed from the beginning with this new vacuum. The filtration just did not work right. I tried the cloth filter,The foam filter, and a paper filter and it was still blowing more dust into the room than it was picking up.

I decided to see what can be done to get filtration better in the vacuum and I basically gave up! Then I saw a article about dust collectors. I did some reading and decided to build my own dust collector for my blast cabinet. after watching some impressive video I figured I could build a poor mans dust collector and use the crappy vacuum and maybe cure dust problems.

The basic design is all based on the old school cyclone filter. The Filter is the height of two 5 gallon plastic pails. The hose from the vacuum attaches at the top center of the upper canister. The debris inlet will be located on the side of the upper bucket and will direct the debris downward into the cone that creates the vortex.

I started with 2. 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids. I had some pieces of 22 ga aluminum that I rolled into somewhat of a cone shape for the cyclone. I cut a hole in the bottom of 1 bucket and placed the cone into the bucket with the end of the cone protruding from the bottom. The cone is set down about 3 inches from the top of the bucket. I sealed the seams between the bucket and cone with aluminum duct tape.

I removed the lid of the lower bucket and cut a hole in the center the same size as the bottom of the top bucket. This was to allow the vortex cone to extend into the catch bucket. The next part was to attach the lid to the bottom of the upper bucket and seal the two together. I used 2 beads of dap 3 caulking around in a circle on the bottom to seal the lid to the bottom and then secured both together with 8 screws and nuts. The whole reason for this is that the buttom bucket will hold the debris and can be easily dumped when full. Just snap the lid. and dump the bucket!

Back to the top I removed the top cover and cut a hole in the center for a PVC 1 1/2" fiting with one side threaded and the other for connecting a 1 1/2 piece of PVC. I found some nuts to fit the fittings over in electrical and used these nuts to secure the fittings in the bucket top and the inlet side fitting.

In studying the vortex theory I noted some builders offset the filter outlet to the outer edge of the lid and some locate it in the top center, and to that extent they add a tube from the fitting down into the center of the vortex and it ends just below the level of the inlet pipe.

I chose to use the center type with a down tube about 6 inches into the cone. Test results are initially good but I have made the pipe removable and I will see if results prove better. I am also going to get another lid and test the offset method.

So I am pleased with the initial results. I ran the blaster for 10 to 15 minutes, afterward I could not observe any dust escaping from the shop vac, and when I opened the shop vac there was very little if any debris.

I may return with some improvements but it works good so far. One of the best improvements for my bead blaster cabinet.

I have a bunch a pictures here so enjoy and happy building...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet1.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	391370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter1.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	391378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter2.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	391386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter3.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	391394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter4.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	391402  

Name:	Filter5.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	391410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter5a.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	391418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter6.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	391426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter7.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	391434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter8.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	391442  

Name:	Filter9.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	391450  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
Grizzdog 55 (12-03-2017), John long (12-03-2017), NEW INTERIORS (01-13-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2017, 01:09 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,837 Times in 4,065 Posts
Where did you get the plans RIP?

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 05:48 AM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

They are actually commercially made... Cyclone separator is the name. I first discovered them working on Kodak copiers. Were used to extract the toner off the film belts.

https://www.amazon.com/cyclone-separ...ne%20separator

https://www.oneida-air.com/category....5C357DFE131%7D

Greg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rip-tide For This Useful Post:
John long (12-03-2017), Rip VW (12-03-2017)

Old 12-03-2017, 11:36 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
I may return with some improvements but it works good so far.
read up on thien baffle if you decide to make any improvements J. Phil Thien's Cyclone Separator Lid w/ the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle
i recycled an old shop vac mostly for saw dust collection and have minimal dust in the actual shop vac
The Following User Says Thank You to ogre For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Where did you get the plans RIP?

John
Well John, I had no actual plans on how to build the filter. I had been studying other dust collectors. The basic theory was simple enough so I wandered around the shop and started to look for something I could convert into the filter. My eyes fell upon my NAPA plastic bucket. That was a good start. Next look about for some tin to make the funnel. I had an old large reflector off a flood light. The reflector was made from 4 sections of 020 aluminum.

When I finished the rolling and such I had a funnel, although it was longer than I wanted. I decided that instead of cutting down I would add the second bucket and that would allow me to dump the collections easily.

The rest of the build was simple you have an inlet and outlet.

I almost bought one of those plastic Cyclone separators that Rip-Tide mentioned but I did not like the looks of them and to me seemed kinda flimsy with the hoses connected. they also wanted cash money for one and I would have to wait for shipping. Beside that it was more fun to build my own..! This one fits nicely right next to the cabinet and out of the way.

This little project has sharpened my interest in the cyclone effect. I am going to do some research on this and eventually I would like to build a smaller more efficient compact package that would include a built in vacuum motor.

I could bite the bullet and buy a commercial one that fits on the side of the cabinet but that takes all the fun out of creating and building one myself. and besides that wouldn't be Frugal and I am all about that saving money thing.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
read up on thien baffle if you decide to make any improvements J. Phil Thien's Cyclone Separator Lid w/ the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle
i recycled an old shop vac mostly for saw dust collection and have minimal dust in the actual shop vac
I saw that baffle when I was researching dust collectors. I looked at it and moved on as I had already selected to go without the baffle. Now that I am revisiting the whole thing I may just go with that baffle. It would be easy to adapt to my filter. Thank you for the input that is a great idea..
Old 01-12-2018, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the idea, my shop vac will appreciate this. I have a setup for woodworking to drop out saw dust but never thought to try for blasting.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:42 PM

Hi.
I also have a home made blast cabinet. I found that shop vacs and other methods will drive me crazy with the noise if you are blasting for long periods of time. We had a cyclone at a place I worked and even in a big shop it was very annoying.
What I did was to find a large squirrel cage blower with a six inch input and output that runs quiet. Then I plumbed it to the cabinet and piped it outside through the wall. I can vary the suction so as not to suck out too much sand. It works great, nice and quiet. After a long blast session I just hose the sand on the ground away.
I also teed off the pipe to a small paint booth, so I can blast and then go right to paint with all the fumes being sucked outside.
I can add some pics if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
John
Old 02-07-2018, 03:26 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,837 Times in 4,065 Posts
I would love to see some pictures of your set up John.

I am tired of burning the bearings out of my shop vac, not to mention the noise.

John
Old 02-07-2018, 08:16 PM

I agree the shop vac is a noisy affair. I have been re thinking my design and I am leaning towards less vacuum and less volume than a shop vac. I am thinking along the same lines with a squirrel cage blower. I am going to see what the CFM rating is on my shop vac and find a smaller quieter vacuum as a suction device. I think about 1/2 the CFM and it may be good. I am actually seeing quit a bit of beads in the cyclone with the shop vac. If anyone does something like this, please post your results as this is a work in progress.

Now off to do real things for a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
John long (02-07-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 04:18 AM

Hi.
The squirrel cage I have is a Dayton. 1/4 hp with a six inch opening. I found it at a flea market for cheap. Attached are some pics.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180208_061155_1518088626304.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	403394   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180207_181538_1518088644507.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	403402   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180207_181556_1518088658480.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	403410   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180207_181248_1518088670120.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	403418  
The Following User Says Thank You to hemiguy For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (02-27-2018)

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in